Smart Watch

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Corie Henson, Aug 12, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Have you seen a smart watch? Or do have a smart watch? I was reading the newspaper yesterday when I saw that feature article about Pebble Time - a brand of smart watch. It is wifi ready, okay, that's the catchword.

Well, it looks like an ordinary digital watch that shows time, of course, but as I said about wifi ready, it can give you the benefit of browsing the internet. I just don't know how you do it with that tiny screen. And since the screen is small, the navigation is by the arrow keys by the side of the watch.

An added feature of the watch is the waterproofing, that it can withstand water down to 50 feet. How about a camera? I didn't see in the specs.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Hugely expensive, aren't they?

3. John Donovan

John Donovan Veteran Member
    Registered

Definitely. I've been thinking of getting one for my nephew, as his birthday is coming soon and I think he'd enjoy one of those. However, even a second-hand Samsung Galaxy Gear (which is pretty old already) is upwards of 100 dollars, which is outrageous for such a small device.

I guess we're supposed to pay for the convenience of having a phone-like device on our wrists.

4. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

As have said to whom has asked me about buying or not a smart watch; I am smart enough to avoid falling with this useless expenditure.

I mean, actually how many people wear watches really? Unless is part of someone's business dressing code, people mostly use their cell phones when it comes to learn what time is it, otherwise a cheap watch do the trick.

For what the smart watch does, it's not worth to be considered in my wishlist, not to mention it doesn't look precisely elegant or to be an accessory of good taste that fits with any casual or formal dressing.

5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Have you heard of the Google Glass? It is a gadget in the guise of an eyeglasses. From what I understand, you can access the internet with that and it also has a camera to record what you see. It was touted to be the next best thing in technology but then it flopped. The market was not ready for it yet. With the smart watch, I guess it will fare better than the Google Glass simply because it is a watch. People are still wearing watches now, don't they? And the novelty will be trending soon although I think it will not linger for long.