Smart Phones

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Rufus Holen, Feb 26, 2015.

1. Rufus Holen

Rufus Holen Veteran Member
    Registered

I love my smart phone. Not only can it do everything you would expect of a phone. There are so many other things available to you when you have a smart phone. Managing finances and keeping up with the latest news, checking the weather report or subscribing to your favourite magazine. I hope everyone on here can take advantage of this piece of technology. If you already own one, I suggest asking a friend or relative to show you the ropes. I think you'll be quite surprised as to what you can do!

2. Mal Campbell

Mal Campbell Supreme Member
    Registered

I just haven't gotten into the whole smartphone thing. I'm a very 'early adapter', usually I'm one of the first to get new technology and figure out how to use it. But I just don't like trying to do things on a phone. The screen is too small, and almost impossible for me to type on - I'm a fluent typist (probably around 100 words a minute), so cell phone "keyboards" are a real drag for me.

Some of the the apps are cool, and I do love the gps/directions capability. I use it when my husband and I are traveling to find hotels, restaurants and such. But other then that, I could do without them.

Just goes to show how diverse we all are - and I think that's great.

3. Rufus Holen

Rufus Holen Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes indeed! by all means, if you don't need something, you don't need it!
    I also find the GPS function very useful, you never have to be lost again. I think I've gotten so reliant on mine, I couldn't imagine not having it.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

While I think that my iPhone is great; I could easily live with a plain old basic type of cellphone, something that just made phone calls, and a flip keyboard to text when necessary would work fine for me.
    Like Mal mentioned; the screen is small for me to see and do anything much; so I only use it to go online in extreme situations.
    One thing that i really enjoy about the iPhone is the camera. I can take good pictures, and they are automatically also uploaded to both my iPad and my camera roll on the Dell computer. I don't have to have the little cradle and connecter like I used to need when I had the digital camera.
    However, my iPad is indispensible to me ! It is small enough to take along when I want it, and large enough for me to do anything that I need to do with it.
    I rarely ever use my regular desktop/all-in-one Dell. However, my daughter does everything on her iPhone, and it has pretty well replaced both her desktop and the ipad for her. It is one of the new larger ones, and since she can see and read it fine; it is perfect for her.

5. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

I use my smartphone for work, most of the insurance companies I work with have mobile apps so you need an upgraded phone. Most smartphones screens are way to small for me to do work on or see so I got a Samsun Galaxy Mega Note, it is larger than all the other phones and really is a tablet. I love it.

6. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

When they come up with one that will till and weed the garden I'll be interested. Until then I'll use my phone for making and receiving calls.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  7. Allie Seay

Allie Seay Veteran Member
    Registered

I love my smart phone, but I could do without it. Shoot. I didn't have a cell phone at all until just a couple of years ago and I think my quality of life was just fine.:)

I do like the thing a lot, though. Especially when we go camping or somewhere else away from home. The GPS has saved my butt a few times and so has the white pages ap. The camera is nice, too. Smaller than my digital one and takes almost as good a picture.

My husband, now (the technologically challenged), is in a constant state of battle with his smart phone. Or phones. He's been through several trying to find one that he likes and I'm of the opinion that there isn't one made for the likes of him. I thought he liked the one he currently has until just recently, but I can see that I was wrong and I'm prepared to duck and cover as I know that soon that phone will sail.:)

He hates it when I remind him that he didn't like the land line phones, either; and at least he can take a cell phone with him wherever he goes.

8. Susan Long

Susan Long Veteran Member
    Registered

I love my LG Android smartphone lots! The apps are so much fun to use and certainly the Google 'ask' feature has helped me in numerous situations to locate valuable information when I needed it.