Small Island Fresh Water Sources

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Frank Sanoica, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

This evening, watching a contestant win a trip to Barbados, a sudden thought struck me: how do the small, heavily populated islands obtain sufficient amounts of fresh water? Surely, little fresh groundwater must exist, how could any aquifers be present when the island is surrounded by mile(s)-deep saltwater?

I expect @Martin Alonzo has some answers to this question, living in the Dominican Republic.

Frank

2. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

Any Island that has mountains usually has lots of rain especially in tropic zones. All my drinking water is collected rain water. When I sailed around the Caribbean found it difficult to find water in places like the Bahamas as they are mostly flat islands and use RO water for their population. and collect any rain water. When I was living on my boat I had a RO unit and also collected any rain water that landed on the deck. Hope this answer you question.

Frank Sanoica and Yvonne Smith like this.
  3. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Martin Alonzo " Hope this answer you question."

Yes, thank you! I did know Hawaii, for example, has some very high mountains, on which falls enormous amounts of rain.

RO is a process highly-wasteful of water, but I suppose if the source is an endless amount of seawater, it's OK. For our purposes here in the Desert, where our sole source at our residence is pumped water from deep wells, RO is a poor choice, but is used widely at single-station uses like the kitchen sink.

Frank

4. Kalvin Mitnic

Kalvin Mitnic Veteran Member
    Registered

That new carbon fiber filter takes salt out of sea water. I'd like shares in that product whenever its marketed.