Skulls

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussions' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Sep 5, 2019.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Just what is the obsession that some folks have with skulls? Seen a vehicle yesterday that on the rear window, there were 7 of them. I now see young folks wearing t-shirts with skulls on them.

My wife told me that these folks love Gothic things.

Bess Barber likes this.
  2. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

Haven't see them around these parts Cody, but I know they were pretty much in fashion when my daughter was a teen..probably something to do with the latest grunge band or something...

Bill Boggs and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Skulls have always been a type of morbid / threatening logo for some people; the skull and crossbones for instance or the skulls exhibited on some biker’s clubs jackets.

Recently though, there is a spur of heavy metal music listeners who are into death metal which does concentrate on ....uh......death in some very extreme ways. To see a skull as a tattoo or on a car window might perchance be an indicator that the portrayer of such might be into death metal.

Or, since Holly and I posted at nearly the same time.......what she said.

Bill Boggs and Holly Saunders like this.
  4. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Good question, Cody. Throughout history it seems skulls have been adopted to represent death and dying.
    or the skull and cross bones of the Pirate age, especially early American history, or the germanic gothic
    period sometime around the fall of the Roman Empire. Mortercycle clubs have flown a flag of skulls in our
    past. I tended to think of skulls as associated with death & dying. I saw many graves in Italy with this:
    You are where I was
    I amwhere you will be
    with skull on the inscription.

Having wridden a motorcycle much of my working life I tend to think of the skull as,
    Riding with death or we're mean sob's. But I said all that merely to preface what I meant to say, I don't know.

Thomas Stearn likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Not to change my thread, but, Bill, definitely not all bikers are sob's. But, have talked to some "hard-core" looking Harley chopper riders who told me that those that ride dressed bikes are "biker wannabe's".

6. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

No, of course not. Didn''t mean to imply all bikers were.
    for example I rode a bike and i was not an sob. Some
    clubs carried a skull flag and some of those I may have
    misunderstood. It could have meant, follow me to church
    or something else I would not have expected. Perhaps I
    was one of those biker want-a-bes and trying to sound
    knowledgable.

7. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

People become fascinated and want to identify with foolish evil things, then want to question or blame God when things go wrong. I wouldn't allow an image of death in my house and certainly not on my automobile.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Wife and I remember talking to a cook, who just happen to be in the dining area of a Mimi's Restaurant in Jacksonville. One of the first things I noticed about him was a tattoo of Satan on his arm. At least the picture of Satan I had seen before, with horns and such. When I ask this cook why he had a tattoo of Satan on his arm, his response was "because I like Satan". Nothing else was said. He went back to the kitchen and we continued eating. It was really hard to understand why a restaurant would hire a cook with a visible tattoo of Satan, but...…….

Bess Barber likes this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Maybe he was qualified for the job.

Bobby Cole and Mary Robi like this.
  10. Mary Robi

Mary Robi Veteran Member
    Registered

I was just wondering when the tattoo threads would start again..... Let no one say you aren't dependable, Cody.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  11. William DeFox

William DeFox Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The "momento mori" or reminder of death was considered quite a thing a few hundred years ago when the life span was considerably shorter, and death was never far away. In current displays, skulls are more for shock value or subculture identification, and to some are even gruesomely festive...

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I just want to clarify one item because on one particular forum my username is indeed, “mimento mori” .
    Used with no real thought process, the skull has been used as a sort of symbolic shorthand when in fact the whole of the matter is that “mimento mori” should bring about a reflection concerning our own mortality.
    It’s almost an ecclesiastical element, for life is fleeting and full of vanity and the material things we accumulate during life are as nothing when death does arrive.
    In the early church, the focus on the “noun” wasn’t so much on death as it is a reflective moment on what we do until death arrives.

13. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

They are very popular here....Trader Joes has them now as planters.

B2EC8873-1AAF-4ECB-9B94-E496CDC5DF9A.jpeg

Also....skull cookies are popular in the Mexican culture.....either on cinco de Mayo or coming up soon around Halloween ....the day of the dead...

Think that’s called Dias de Los muertos.

When my oldest grandson was still in HS, I made a batch for his Spanish class...it was an assignment.

Probably some other choices but since I was visiting at the time....we did that.

14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

And, in the Catacombs of Paris we have........ FD9EE607-C3C5-4D98-B18D-9E6494AFD0D7.jpeg

I have often wondered why the city was named Paris. Paris was a mortal who stole Helen from Menalaus thereby starting the nearly 10 year war. In essence, Paris was pretty much a coward but he did assassinate Achilles which was lauded as an act of the gods on one side but quite less on the other.
    Thousands of soldiers lost their lives due to Paris’ wanton actions so maybe the catacombs of skeletons are fitting.

Last edited: Sep 7, 2019
    Lulu Moppet likes this.
  15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Qualified or not, not everyone wants to see skulls, let alone Satan. My opinion, he should stay in the kitchen where only that staff see him. As I've stated a number of times, we are not "open-minded" to everything that many people like and/or accept.

Bess Barber likes this.