Six Days In The Land Of Bohemia

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Terry Page, Oct 22, 2017.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm very familiar with the dumplings with the bread cubes in them, Hungarians make them and my husband loved them...I hated making them though. :)

Dumpling in Hungarian is nokedli.

The dumplings with the bread were called zsemle gombóc and we're usually served with a sauerbraten type dish.

Mine didn't have as much bread as I see in Terry's pic though....there was more dumpling than bread in mine.

Last edited: Oct 24, 2017
    Frank Sanoica and Terry Page like this.
  2. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

While in Český Krumlov we visited the famous castle on a guided tour:

The State Castle of Český Krumlov, with its architectural standard, cultural tradition, and expanse, ranks among the most important historic sights in the central European region. Building development from the 14th to 19th centuries is well-preserved in the original groundplan layout, material structure, interior installation and architectural detail.

The Český Krumlov Castle was mentioned for the first time by an Austrian knight minnesinger Ulrich of Lichtenstein in his poem "Der Frauendienst" which dates back between the years 1240 and 1242.

The castle area is one of the largest in central Europe. It is a complex of forty buildings and palaces, situated around five castle courts and a castle park spanning an area of seven hectar
    es. The groundplan layout of Český Krumlov Castle shows the area and location of each court and building.Some photos we took:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The ballroom with cartoon like paintings
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Terry Page

Registered

Traditionally there have always been bears in the castle moat instead of water, there are still a couple but we didn't see any while we there.

[​IMG]

This is just one of the sections which continues all around...
    [​IMG]

Maryt Hope likes this.
  4. Terry Page

Registered

We stopped at a small town called Tabor overnight on the way to Cesky Krumlov, the apartment we stayed in is owned by an Englishman married to a Czech, who are living in Dubai at the moment, we met the Czech mother who was lovely and very helpful, she spoke good English and excellent Russian which helped.

Here are a few photos of the apartment, which though in a 16th century building has been fully modernised earlier this year.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

After dinner we wandered through the back streets.....

We had dinner at this restaurant

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The highlight of the evening was coming across this large woodland park which was deserted apart from a young couple who made a good photograph caught in the evening sun
    [​IMG]

A small cloud of evening mist drifted by beneath us, which added to the magical effect..

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

OK, @Terry Page, I haven't envied you before but now I'm beginning to feel a tiny tinge of envy. :p

6. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Terry Page
    The Czech community living in the Chicago area had established a form of health club activity, several in fact, called "SOKOL", which I believe meant something like "Gymnasium". Two that I can recall the names of were Sokol Slet, and Sokol Tabor, and the thought struck me when you mentioned a town by that name, that perhaps Sokol Tabor had been put together by folks who had migrated from Tabor, CZ.
    Frank

Terry Page likes this.
  7. Terry Page

Registered

Another town we decided to visit en route was Mikulov, famous for it's Jewish Cemetery and Castle, the morning we were there was very misty and atmospheric, we visited the cemetery twice in the morning mist and later when it had cleared, there is also a famous hill overlooking the town which we also climbed, about a mile or so to the top where there is a church and a spectacular view, at least without the mist there would have been [​IMG]

I have always been drawn to old cemeteries, they have a peaceful atmosphere, I guess I am destined to make one my permanent residence in the not too distant future [​IMG]

Jewish cemetery

The large Jewish cemetery in Mikulov is one of the most significant monuments of its kind in the country. The first funerals after the establishment of the local Jewish community date from around mid 15th century. The oldest survived tomb stone dates from 1605.

The cemetery was built in three stages. Today it contains around 4,000 tombs. The most valuable and the most frequently visited section in the Rabbis Peak with tombs of Mikulov and Moravian regional rabbis.

The morning visit, looking over the wall because it didn't open till 11 am

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The afternoon in the sun

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Mike Dobra

Mike Dobra Veteran Member
    Registered

A nice range of photos Terry. It's a wonder that the Nazis didn't bulldoze the site! Interesting styles, which I suppose match the decade they were erected. I went around an interesting cemetery in Santa Margerita de Leguri in Italy where many tomb had figures standing and sitting carved from marble.....

Terry Page likes this.
  9. Terry Page

Registered

Thanks @Mike Dobra , the Italian one sounds interesting.....................here are a few photos of the hill climb which we did while were waiting for the cemetery to open;
    Here are some photos of the hill climb we did while waiting for the cemetery to open:

The vineyards and lavender fields at the bottom though the mist covers them..
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The Church and tower at the top

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The view from the top looking over the town...
    [​IMG]

Looking up to the church on the hill from the castle gardens, the mist had cleared by the time we got to the castle

[​IMG]

The castle sadly open only at weekends in October

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

I like the misty morning ones, @Terry Page . The cemetery ones, not so much. I don't like cemeteries. I don't plan to go to one.

Terry Page and Ina I. Wonder like this.