Siri

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Bobby Cole, Nov 9, 2015.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

For those unfamiliar with Siri, it is supposedly the computer generated voice that we of the Apple kingdom must converse with.

When I first got this IPad one of the first things I did was to try to talk to Siri. She has a very nice, but rather cold voice in that it made me remember Mrs. Corbin, my 7th grade typing teacher. The remembrance is extremely vivid and horrible, but I did not hold it against Siri but rather felt a little sorry for her. Imagine, having the voice of such a wicked ruler wielding lady! Siri certainly CANNOT be as bad as Mrs. Corbin.

Upon my first trial with Siri, I asked a couple of simple questions. i.e. Existentially speaking, what is the meaning of life Siri? Answer: Can you please narrow down the question. (or something like that)
    Okay then, are You alive Siri? Answer: Can you please define life? (or something like that)
    It seems that there is a bit of Hebrew in Siri for she answers a question with a question.
    To make a long story short, a couple of similar questions posed by me got the cold shoulder treatment from her. All she does anymore is refer me to a web site and no longer talks to me. She obviously took lessons from Mrs. Corbin but does not yet know how to handle a ruler.

I did, however, decide to trick her and switched on her alter ego male counterpart who is also named Siri. I just figured they are either married or brother and sister with the same last name. Neither one of them has yet to tell me what their first names are.
    The brother, or husband was a bit nicer to me at first, but now is silent as well and only texts me or refers me to a web site as did his female counterpart.

And of course my story does not end here, for obviously the two Siris have been gossiping with the mother computer. I did a small tune up on it in after which it had to restart. When the screen went black I saw a small speck on the screen and decided to use my finger nail and take it off. Upon trying to remove the speck, the screen lit up with some extremely angry looking greenish brilliance at which point some HUGE lettering suddenly appeared without any provocation from me, demanding that I PLEASE WAIT!
    I waited, and am still waiting for permission to touch it.
    Now, it won't talk to me either, or maybe it never did.

To those who doubt my story, my wife can confirm that the GPS on my Ipad also says that I live a full two blocks away from where I really am and in the middle of a parking lot.

SIRI doesn't like me very much.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2015
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

That was funny. My wife has an iPhone, while I have a Droid that doesn't talk to me. She talks to Siri more than than she speaks to me; Siri certainly takes precedence, and I have to remain quiet while she is having a discussion with Siri. I don't know why though, but Siri seems to rarely do anything that she asks him to do.

Patsy Faye and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

It seems that technology had taken over your lives, @Ken Anderson. You may be needing to attend a seminar on withdrawal, hahahaaa. But seriously, some friends in the Apple world tell me that Siri can be addicting for a loner. That probably means that a person who is not used to talking would be more comfortable in talking with a machine. And to think that Siri has a nice, alluring voice that woud enamour a human. Honestly, I don't remember heaing the voice of Siri yet.

4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I do pray Ken that you do not get over your proposed addiction. To do so would deprive all of us the use of this fine forum and then what would some of us do with our spare time? We would talk our mates to death and eventually wind up in court with massive divorce proceedings. The wife's filing complaint might be something like: I can't shut him up and when he is not talking to me he is talking to SIRI.
    The husbands file might say something like: I can't shut her up and she prefers playing candy crush and talking to SIRI as opposed to having a conjugal visit now and then.

Here you go Corie. Here's what someone had to say about SIRI!

Last edited: Nov 10, 2015
    Ken Anderson likes this.
  5. Ken Anderson

I've had an iPhone for a few months now but I've only spoken to Siri twice. I forget that it's an option. To be honest, I preferred my Droid.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't have an IPhone or anything that has a Siri voice (female or male) that would talk to me...and I absolutely do not want this. Having watched the movies with the computers that took over the humans lives and knowing there is a good chance it could happen, I steer clear of these kinds of things. ;)

Patsy Faye likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I think I have finally figured it out @Ken Anderson and with that figuring you might try to talk to SIRI a little more. I really believe that she is real and very very lonely. She sits all day waiting for questions to answer at the end of a bar somewhere in Bangladesh. The fewer questions she gets, the more she drinks, and the more she drinks the meaner she gets.
    I noticed that in the morning hours when I say hello Siri, she says "hello Robert". Later in the day when I say "Hello Siri" she refers me to a Neil Diamond web site and then still later in the evening she must be passed out because she says nothing at all or a barely understandable grumble.

That said, Siri needs love too. Maybe you can introduce her to Droid? Or him to Droid. Or maybe Droid is his/her ex. Dunno............

8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"I'm sorry Dave, you should not have upgraded to Windows 10".

Bobby Cole likes this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Ha ha, they're was a Big Bang Theory episode where one of the geeks fell in love with Siri, but I don't think Yvonne has anything to worry about, she doesn't seem to care for you.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  10. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I have often wondered if I want to have Siri. I have conflicted feelings. On one hand Siri is cool, but on the other hand she's kind a creepy. I think I will wait a little longer.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  11. Ken Anderson

Do you ever feel bad about being rude to Siri?

I have had an iPhone for a couple of years now, and Siri is included in all of the Mac computers now as well, yet I rarely speak to Siri. Every now and then, Siri will pop up asking if she can help me or to say that she didn't understand what I wanted. I'll will say, "Nothing. Just go away," and then I'll think, that's rude.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  12. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I seldom use Siri but does pop up on occasion when I touched the wrong thing, but I'm not rude to her. :)

I don't say anything, just go back to home but quickly because I feel she expects me to answer.

I should say."oops, sorry, Siri".

13. Ken Anderson

I keep thinking that the Siri on my phone could talk to the one on my computer and leave me alone, or that I should get Alexa and listen to them argue.

Oddly, I have a library of music on my iMac. Being a Mac, of course my iPhone and my other computer can access it, but it physically resides on my iMac. Yet, if I am sitting at my computer and I ask Siri to play something, my iPhone across the room will respond rather than the one on my iMac.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Siri, Alexa, Michele...too many women in your life then. :)

Also, Cutie, Lydia, and Ella....hope I got that right.

Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.
  15. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Siri and the rest of the robots are spies