Should Libertarian Candidates Be Allowed In The Presidential Debates?

Discussion in 'Politics & Government' started by Yvonne Smith, Sep 13, 2020.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I can’t remember there ever being anyone except the Democrats and Republicans in the debates, but I am not sure why they could not be allowed, and it might even be a good thing to have the different viewpoints than the same old two that we are used to.

In this case, I think that Jo Jorgensen would probably actually be able to debate with President Trump, and do a better job than Joe Biden.
    I do still think that Joe will either bow out for a medical reason, or he will be replaced for a medical reason, and even his supporters are realizing that his health is not that good.

Here is what Wikipedia says about Jo Jorgensen and what her political beliefs are, and I do not see a lot of difference between what she wants to do, and what the Biden campaign is running on.

9DB8311B-8F11-4EEE-A46D-EC607CB69C9A.jpeg

2. Bill Boggs

Bill Boggs Supreme Member
    Registered

Why not? Should a candidate have some measure of support before they can run for President.I would think so
    or any Tom, Dick, or Rosemary could run. As it is, I think we require too much of a candidate to get on our ballots
    in all states, but I would think there should be some stipulations. I guess I don't know. I'm not a deedp thinker.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff

When it comes right down to it, the Libertarian Party exists to elect Democrats. Still, a random drunk could do better than Biden. The bar is so low for him that if he doesn't drool, and can remember which office he is running for, the media will proclaim him the winner, hands down.

In 2016, the Libertarian Party's candidate for president pretended to have a seizure during an interview and offered some comic relief. I can't remember if they let him in the debates, though. In the end, he couldn't think of one negative thing to say about Hillary Clinton when asked, and his running mate literally endorsed Hillary before the November election.

Last edited: Sep 13, 2020
  4. Yvonne Smith

Truthfully, when I looked at what her platform was , it looks to me like she stands for the same things that Biden is promoting. I think that she would actually help Trump get re-elected, because people who do not like Biden (maybe Bernie supporters ? ) would vote for Jorgensen instead.
    Most of the people who are Trump supporters would vote for Trump, regardless of who was running against him, so the only vote that she might split is the Democratic vote, and independents who would probably have voted for Biden anyway.

5. Yvonne Smith

It is not just President Trump who had votes stolen from him, but also some of the other independent candidates lost votes to Biden as well.
    If you look at this chart, it shows that within 15 minutes, Jo Jorgensen lost almost half of her votes in Pennsylvania.

C8BD6F34-ED9B-4DA6-9DF6-A04F0F83FA6F.jpeg