Should Abortion Be Banned As A Discussion Topic?

Discussion in 'Help Requests' started by Ken Anderson, Nov 6, 2016.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

That's why I've never said it on the forum. And believe me it's hard, when I read some of these my BP rises.

I'm not talking ones like who killed JFK..to me those are more like unsolved crimes. Or that the govt hides some things...to me that's normal and not some ct.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't think anyone here is arguing that abortion is all right, which suggests that it's no different than killing a spider or tying your shoes. I think that everyone here has some qualms about abortion. But that's not the same as saying that it should be illegal or that a seventeen year-old girl who makes that choice should be imprisoned for life on a charge of murder. I don't think anyone here is insisting that you accept that abortion is all right, either. I don't. The main thing that we need to do here is avoid labeling people who draw their lines in a different place than you do.

Denise Evans and Chrissy Cross like this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Why would someone like me who loves babies more than anything want to kill them? I don't, but I still think that
    Women should have that choice as soon as they find out they're pregnant.

In today's world...they will do it anyway, law or no law. There are always ways to get what you want, it will just cost more and may endanger the life of a scared 15 yr old but they'll do it.

4. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

I never thought anyone here was trying to insist that "I" accept abortion, don't know where that came from. I don't think a woman should go to prison if she is uninformed about ALL there is regarding abortions. I don't think that the fight against abortion is going to succeed, I wish that it would, but I don't believe it will. It's all about numbers, how many votes for, how many against, I mean if it was to vote to reverse roe vs wade. I respect others right to believe as they do, I know I have my right, and choice.

I don't see where you thought, I thought (lol) someone was arguing with me. I had planned not to discuss this, or anything that seems to get so easily misunderstood, taken personally. I just am not good enough at expressing my feelings/thoughts sometimes. But whatever. I have my beliefs, and others have theirs.

5. Ken Anderson

I'm not going to go back to see if you actually said it because it doesn't really matter at this point, but you have implied that people who believe in conspiracy theories were crazy. Like the abortion topic, that has led to some hurt feelings as well. I am not saying this by way of a reprimand, but simply to point out that it hasn't been entirely one way.

I don't believe most of the conspiracy theories that I come across, and I don't even believe some of the ones that I post in the forum, but I do believe that there are conspiracies going on all around us, and it can be fun and interesting to discuss them, or to consider the possibilities. The 9/11 Trade Towers, for example. I do not believe that we are being told the truth about what happened that day, but that doesn't mean that I believe that Alex Jones or anyone else with a web site has the answers to what actually occurred.

I surely don't believe in Bigfoot, but I suppose it's theoretically possible. I have watched several Bigfoot documentaries, and it certainly doesn't hurt to talk about it. Coast-to-Coast is on the radio on our bedroom every night and, although I don't stay up all night listening to it, I hear bits and pieces. Some of it is crazy stuff but others make sense to me, and most of it is interesting. Anyone who doesn't get any enjoyment out of discussing such things doesn't have to read that thread or participate in it. Anyone is welcome to think that I'm crazy to waste my time on it, but there is no benefit in calling me crazy.

On the other hand, I don't know if I've posted anything about the djinn here but I have read a few books about djinn and consider them to be a reasonable answer to many cryptozoological creatures that people claim to have seen throughout the ages. Can I prove that the djinn exist? I don't even know that I believe they do. Certainly I can't prove that they do, but I don't think that I am crazy for having taken an interest in the possibility, and if someone were to call me crazy for even considering it, I would probably ignore it publicly but I wouldn't feel good about it.

Like with the abortion discussions, anyone who isn't comfortable discussing the subject doesn't have to read or participate in it, but there's no point in being angry because someone else is talking about it or assigning labels, and when I say this, please understand that I am talking to everyone and about any controversial topic, not just you.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
    Yvonne Smith and Denise Evans like this.
  6. Ken Anderson

That's the other problem with forum discussions. We often misunderstand what the other person is trying to say. Sometimes this is done because anger clouds our ability to read objectively, but there is also the problem that human communication is intended to be more than verbal, yet a forum discussion is limited to words, and they don't always communicate the message we're trying to send.

I like to think that I'm fairly good with words, but I am often misunderstood. Sometimes, I think it's clear that what I am saying is a joke or intended as light-hearted teasing, but someone gets angry. At least one person left the forum loudly over a discussion in which I thought I had been agreeing with her. After some angry messages, I tried smoothing things out, but her anger clouded everything I had to say. At other times, the fault may be with me, in that I think I am being clear but I'm really not.

Then there is the fact that I sometimes forget that women are incapable of rational thinking. That last part was added to illustrate what I said earlier about intending something as a joke or as light-hearted teasing, by the way.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2016
  7. Denise Evans

Registered

I've had the privilege to talk to friends here on the phone and it is so different then reading text. And of course meeting in person is also so different to me. Forums, facebook, any social interactions online can be so difficult, goes without saying doesn't it:) But I think people can learn, and become better at it. I hope I am growing, and I take after others that are so great at posting;)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  8. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

You are such a warm-hearted person, @Denise Happyfeet , and even though we have never talked on the phone together, I think that you ALWAYS express yourself well here on the forum. Probably, we all have times when we do not express ourselves quite the way that others understand us, and that is when it helps to know that the person that you are chatting with has a good mind and warm heart, and means well, even if the wording was lacking.
    Some things are just touchy subjects, and even when we are being careful, people can take us wrong, and I think that if we do decide to discuss something as volatile as abortion, we have to always be extra aware of that.
    As Ken said, it usually does not change anyone's opinion anyway, so just avoiding these kinds of topics is often the best. Even if it is included as part of the forum, we do not have to post in threads we feel could be explosive.

Denise Evans likes this.
  9. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Oh, Ive talked to Denise on the phone. She called me on Saturday all excited about something but I was driving
    But still talked awhile.

10. Denise Evans

Registered

Yes, I want to stay off here now. I just had my phone ring from a number in New Hampshire! LOL! I didn't answer though, has to be ID on there before I answer. I'm done my lunch now so ttys;)

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I just block unwanted calls. After I check the number and decide I don't want them to call again I block it.

12. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Whew! Thank goodness you put the disclaimer on the "rational thinking" part. I was about ready to saddle your horse again so you could make it through the onslaught of pitchforks and torches.

All that said, you are indeed correct Ken about hot topic items especially when one bridges between such an array of thought processes such as personal, ethical, moral and spiritual values as abortion does.
    In agreement with my wife, if we have difficulty in an area each of us should learn to stay away from it.

For instance, Yvonne truly enjoys playing around with conspiracies and likes to find out what others think about them. But, after a deluge of arguments between a couple of members not excluding some behind the scenes messaging that still hasn't stopped, she declines to get back into the conspiracy block.
    Now, that doesn't mean that the entire board should be expunged from the forum, only that she is hesitant about posting there.

Personally, I am getting pretty particular about the religious board about what I write and when and who I reply to. Again, it's just a matter of choice as to where we post and the reasoning we have for posting our opinions. Yeah, opinions can be the base line for the complete destruction of a would be friendship. Although to think about it, our own opinions are like a case of gas. Generally speaking, our own definitely smells better than someone else's when in fact we might be a major cause for global warming.

Bottom line to my reasoning is that it's easy to feel angered when it seems that there is an attack going on. Whether factual or mistaken perhaps simply staying away from items that are prone to make us more emotionally envolved than we need to be would be in order.
    Or, even though I absolutely hate using them, a better usage of the emotes might help to ease some tension if indeed there is no intent on a poster's part to intimidate another person. :)

Yvonne Smith and Denise Evans like this.
  13. Denise Evans

Registered

a case of gas, I don't know something about those "natural biological body functions" always seem funny to me. Of course, not after a night of rolling around in my bed in pain;)

Wonderful post, I agree so much with what you had to say @Bobby Cole I am working at staying away from volatile discussions (I said I'm working at it, lol). I've also found the blocking feature on my phone, email, and facebook are nice. I don't like the "ignore" feature on forums because then you don't get the "whole" discussion:)

Have a great day!! denise

Yvonne Smith likes this.