Sharing A Cup Of Coffee

Discussion in 'Philosophy & Psychology' started by Silvia Benoit, Dec 20, 2022.

1. Silvia Benoit

Silvia Benoit Veteran Member
    Registered

"""" Tell me with whom you share a cup of coffee and I will tell you who you are."""

Whoever "made " this comment was very wise.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I will share a cup of coffee with my wife and we will discuss professional rodeo or something else. Neither of us have any friends, so it's just coffee between us. To a point, unless we meet people with the same, or close to same, interests that we have, we will continue not to have any friends. IOW, wife and I talk the same language.

Thomas Windom likes this.
  3. Joy Martin

Joy Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I am not sure how this thread is supposed to go. Thinking and I'm not excited about sitting down with many, but would really enjoy sitting face to face with Julia Sweeney, as she was the one who got me off the fence with the religion I was trying to shake.

She has a very similar background, but she's an actor and I believe now holds a position at the Freedom From Religion Foundation.

4. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I usually "share a cup of coffee" with my husband; how would that tell anyone who I am? In a broader sense, I often sip coffee while interacting on the forum... so in a way I'm "sharing a cup of coffee" with a lot of varied people.

5. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Nice people, too. :)

6. Joy Martin

Registered

There are a lot of nice people but I chose to single out a special person who came into my life. Around the same period Julia appeared a former catholic priest appeard and he too made a huge impact on where I am now with religion. He was Blase Bonpain and even wrote a book: Imagine No Religion.... Dear man who was an activist and got married and raised 3 great children....

He's gone but thinking back I led him to Grape Seed Extract as he had a raspy voice and once taking it, his voice got so much clearer and stronger. Something like my mom's voice when I got her on the supplement,,,,

Again this post is not clear to me but I'm doing what I feel is appropriate.

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I prefer having my own cup.

8. Joy Martin

Registered

Ken what does that ? Sounds like a bit of sarcasm to me.

9. Ken Anderson

Just a joke, @Joy Martin. A reference to the thread title.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2022
  10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Well, Ken beat me to it, but I don't share my coffee with anyone. They can keep their lips off my sips!

The only time I drink coffee is while I am causing drama and discontentment here on the forum. The stronger the brew, the quicker my wit. The other time is at doctors' offices where they have the little personal cup machines. If I fill a cup, then I get called in almost immediately. If I don't it is a 30 -45 minute wait. Amazing the power of a steaming cup of coffee that hasn't even been sipped.

11. Reen Davis

Reen Davis Well-Known Member
    Registered

What if your sharing a coffee with more than one person ? Would that mean a 'split personality' ?

On the very rare occasions that I get to have a coffee with anyone - I'm the same person
    regardless who I am with.

12. Ken Anderson

As to the actual topic, a philosophical phrase, that makes perfect sense. The people who we feel comfortable having a cup of coffee with, as opposed to business luncheons and church picnics, say a lot about who we are. I equate this with friends who will invite us to sit at their table when we enter a restaurant, or who will join us if we're there first. We may not agree on topics that might come up but we accept one another for who we are.

13. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

What if you're not always "the same person you've always been" anymore?:D Do you roll with the flow, or at times go it alone?

14. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

..A poem from the 1600s, one we could all use at times.Or maybe the 1920s,all according to who you ask. [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 15, 2023
  15. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

While it is a beautiful piece of poetry, it is not from the 1600’s, despite what is written on the copy you posted, @Marie Mallery . It was written by Max Ehrmann in the early 1920’s, and copyrighted by him in 1927, according to Wikipedia.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Desiderata

Regardless of when it was written, or by whom, it is still a profound piece of literature, and I have loved it ever since I first read it many years ago. thank you for sharing, Marie !

Marie Mallery likes this.