Sex Scenes In Books

Discussion in 'Reading & Writing' started by Diane Lane, Oct 4, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Ha @Chrissy Page, I'm glad Frank quoted your post, because I totally misread it the first time. I thought you'd said you DID enjoy watching them with your kids, which gave me pause because it didn't sound like you, but to each his or her own ;).

@Ken Anderson That's the thing, it seems unnecessary to me. I think many of the writers of the books I'm reading (low cost and/or free, mainly) are probably writing via some sort of formula where they're trying to appeal to a certain audience, and that's not me. The gratuitous sex scenes aren't the only parts that have turned me off, but they seem to take up more space than the parts that detail the type of car the character drives and all of the amenities it has, or the extensive detailing about other things in the books. I don't need to be told every little thing. I prefer to use my imagination. I agree about the movies and TV shows, as well.

Ha ha @Shirley Martin.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  2. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I am with @Diane Lane on this one. It irritates me that when I'm all into a story, and all of the sudden, just when everything has you on pins and needles, there pops up a sexual interlude from out of nowhere. It doesn't have any value as far as the story goes, but there it is. It's like the publisher or editor opens the book with no other intention than to see where they can flesh out the story with sex.

Although today's young adults do seem to have a healthier outlook on sex than our generation did. I think this is a good thing. When I was a young adult, the word SEX wasn't even spoken without a blush or leer.

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

Yep, that's true. But I outgrew my old fashioned attitudes about sex taught at home. I also let my kids know that I wasn't going to very happy with them if they had sex while still in HS. I didn't say married though, that was up to them.

Since they married in their 20's I'm sure they did. :)

My son and DIL lived together a year before marriage.