Seniors Only Club's Green New Deal

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Basically, he has built a pyrolysis plant and distills the oils produced by the heat process into useable diesel.
    I haven’t completed any studies on it but it appears to be eco friendly albeit the extra production of CO2 might be considered to be counterproductive by some.

Denise Evans and Bruce Andrew like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I just bought a eXcelius all-in-one, Series: GreenPC All-in-One, refurbished PC, made entirely of recycled parts. One of its chief selling points is that it's GREEN, and not the color green, so I truly deserve some SENIORSonly Club carbon credits.

computer.jpeg

Of course, anyone who knows me is aware that I couldn't care less about saving the planet or any of that crap. I wouldn't care if it was made by slave children who burn the rainforest in their spare time. I might consider that to be a plus.

At times, I need a Windows machine, but those times are not often enough to justify spending a lot of money on a PC. At the same time, the last couple of low-end HP Celeron computers I bought were so slow that I felt like I was back in the 1980s, trying to run Windows on an 8088 computer over a dialup connection. For about the same price as one of these crappy HP computers, this one is actually pretty fast. It has a good picture and, while online, I can click from one page to another without delay and, when booting a new program (app for those who were born recently), I don't have to take a coffee break while waiting for it to load.

It's an all-in-one computer, sort of like the PC version of an iMac, so it doesn't take up a lot of space. The keyboard and trackpad were separate, though.

As for the recycled parts, there is a scuff mark on the base, and it is clear that the power unit is not pristine, but those were the only defects that I have been able to find, other than the fact that it is a Windows computer, that is.

As long as it doesn't crap out on me, I'm pretty happy with this computer. I'm just sorry they didn't employ slave children or burn a forest in order to produce it.

Last edited: Mar 17, 2022
  3. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

It looks similar to my Dell XPS-18, which I dearly HATE ! ! I never use it, so @Bobby Cole is going to clear everything off and reset it, and then I am going to sell it.
    I have been thinking about getting one of the cheaper Chromebooks for when I need an actual computer instead of the iPad. How are you liking your Chromebook thus far, @Ken Anderson ?

4. Ken Anderson

I hate it. Thinking I might be able to get by with that while on vacation after my last Macbook died, I found that I was wrong, and ended up driving to the Apple Store and buying a new Macbook Pro. Actually, the main thing that I hate about the Chromebook is that I have to log into my Google account and Google doesn't let me use a password that I have a prayer of remembering, and I have to type it in constantly. It doesn't save any of my passwords so I could do pretty much nothing with it.

5. Yvonne Smith

That is strange. My google email has had the same very-easy password for years, and when I need to use it (like signing in to Youtube or google email) I never have any problems.
    Sometimes, when I am doing surveys, they have phone interviews and they want you to have a computer with a video cam, and not use an iPad (which can do the same thing); so I was thinking about that. I want one that has a touchscreen, too, and I think that most of the newer chromebooks have that.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  6. Ken Anderson

Google makes me change mine all the time. Then, when I have changed it on one computer, the same password won't work when I try to connect to my Google account on another computer, so I end up having to change it again, and it won't let me use a password that has any similarities to previous passwords that I have used, such as reversing the order or adding another digit to the end.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Yvonne Smith

So, aside from the google password issue, the Chromebook does okay ?

8. Ken Anderson

For using the Internet and webmail, a Chromebook would work.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

No slave children but the pressure pads under the keys are made out of slivered tendons from the California Condor and possibly the spotted owl as well.

10. Ken Anderson

Thanks. That helps.

Al Amoling and Bobby Cole like this.
  11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I bought a cheap chromebook a while back. It is good for email and 'surfing' (do they still call it surfing?) and youtube and shopping for the moment. They keep upgrading technology. I never sign into google 'account'. I use startpage for my browser and sign onto the computer as a guest. I DID get a gmail account with not too may problems. But mostly I use my cable email.
    Well google kept offering to have me sign on and they finally got me. After ordering on iherb for quite a while and ignoring the request to give a review that they get through google, I said ok. Well it wasn't so much a review of iherb they wanted but to have me sign up with google. And now they have my cable email account.
    Grrrrrr
    But Look At ME! I am giving a TECH review. I guess now I must get my vcr to stop flashing 12:00 and figure out how to use another aspect on my phone.;)

Bobby Cole and Ken Anderson like this.
  12. Thomas Stillhere

Thomas Stillhere Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hmm, now in Chicago it could be the CRACK BAGGIES scattered all over the sidewalks.

Bobby Cole and John Brunner like this.
  13. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Those NIKE patches take me back to 1967 when the word “green” generally came into conversation regarding one’s lawn or how one felt the morning after a night of drinking heavy doses of alcohol.

There was no thought about scattering missile fragments all over creation but that’s what I wanted to do when I enlisted. My recruiter, SGT. Beaudreaux, told me that after looking at my GT scores that I could take any school the Army offered and I immediately said NIKE missiles.
    He paused for a moment and then told me that I didn’t have enough electronics in my background so he told me to take the “Field Wireman” school (57K20) and that would be enough to get me into NIKE missiles.
    Yes, instead of blowing stuff up which would surely make a huge mess, I signed on the dotted line to lay WD1/TT wire, climb poles and operate crypto machines.

After jump school and hitting Ft. Bragg for a while I took a short and asked if I could go to NIKE missile school and blow stuff up. I was told that I wasn’t quite qualified to damage Mother Earth and other stuff but I could go to Aircraft Electronics school and that would open the door to NIKE Missile school. (fooled me twice, shame on me)

After Aircraft Electronics School I was sent to the Nam to a company that didn’t need another aircraft electrician so they asked me if I could use a 60. Yup, said I. I learned how in Field Wireman School.
    Good, now you can operate a 60 from a UH1-C and sit almost atop the rocket pods and watch the rockets blow stuff up. Can I pull the trigger? No, you have to go to Warrant Officer Flight School for that.
    Crap!

So now, all over Vietnam, there’s hundreds of pounds of brass laying around because of one lone soldier who didn’t really want to expend that many rounds but instead, just wanted to go to Nike Missile School.
    What a litter bug!!

Last edited: Mar 18, 2022
    John Brunner and Al Amoling like this.
  14. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

The governor of Washington state (Jay Inslee) just signed legislation establishing a target that all publicly and privately owned passenger and light duty vehicles of model year 2030 or later that are sold, purchased, or registered in Washington state be electric vehicles.

The legislation — dubbed “Clean Cars 2030” — was enacted as part of a $17 billion climate agenda called “Move Ahead Washington.” Other facets of the package include $5.4 billion for “carbon reduction and multimodal expansion,” $2.4 billion for “fish passage barrier removals,” $836 million for “four new hybrid-electric ferries,” and $150 million for “ultra-high-speed rail.”

It boggles the mind.

15. Ken Anderson

Of course. They believe that only the elite should be allowed to travel.

John Brunner likes this.