Seniors Only Club's Green New Deal

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Ken Anderson, Jun 28, 2021.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

No, this isn't about AOC's nuttiness. This is your chance to virtue signal whatever it is that you are doing to improve the environment, save the world, stop global warming, or whatever. You can take it seriously, you can make a joke of it, or you can do anything in between.

As for me...
    • I compost.
    • I have 100 acres of land that I have kept mostly wooded.
    • I let the beavers have their way with their part of my land.
    • I don't allow hunting on my land, not because I have a problem with hunting, but because I don't want people walking through my stuff. The effect is the same, however.
    • I plant food crops in various places on my land, and the birds and the bears eat all of it.
    • At this very moment, I am drinking Pure Leaf Tea which, the label tells me, has a commitment to sustainability and something about the Rainforest Alliance.
    • For every can of food that I bring out to the feral cats, I am saving a bird, or a mouse, or something.
    • I don't have any cows. If I should decide to get a cow, I will equip it with a butt plug with an air filter on it.
    • Thus far, I have refrained from shoving even a single plastic straw up the nose of a sea turtle. If we had more sea turtles in Millinocket, that might not have been so easy, though.
    • I mostly sit home and collect money from the government but, oh wait, this isn't about AOC's green new deal.

Last edited: Jul 4, 2021
  2. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Okay, I gotta admit that I use too many dots (…) on this forum and every now and then an extra vowel or two even though I’m not British.

We too plant or at least, Yvonne does.
    I mow the lawn and give her the clippings for fertilizer.
    I also save my sawdust for fertilizer instead of making it into fireplace logs mainly because we do not have a fireplace.
    I reduce the amount of cow farts in the atmosphere by eating the cow.
    Dunno if chickens pass gas but I eat them too.
    We also stay at home unless we don’t.
    We work out to stay heathy thereby reducing the need for extra burial plots which uses land mass plus it takes fossil fuels for the backhoe to dig a grave.
    We have fruit trees and the squirrels eat the fruit thereby keeping said squirrels from starving and standing in line at the animal soup lines.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  3. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

Gee, let's see:

• I reuse as much as I recycle by taking boxes and bags to a friend's business for him to use.
    • I have 51 acres of land that I have agreed to keep mostly wooded in exchange for a reduced tax rate.
    • I have beavers who go unmolested [insert impure thought here]. They actually might be an environmental negative, but Mother Nature does not hug trees...she often blows them over or sets them on fire.
    • I've not allowed the bears to eat me because they really need to stick to their vegan diet.
    • I don't allow hunting because the locals I did allow to hunt years ago could not obey my rules.
    • I don't shower daily...I'm retired.
    • I flush when I feel like it, not when it needs to be done. And "needs" is such a judgmental word...
    • I don't own a Lear jet. Or a Raptor. Or a Humvee.
    • I sometimes have a cow, man. But not as often as I used to.
    • I no longer giggle at the following video:

OK. I lied at that last one. They can get back in line for a second vaccine.

4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Snacks for a Grisly Bear.

I like trees too but I have an emotional attachment and a friendship agreement with my chain saw. It doesn’t cut me and I let it eat wood.

5. Ken Anderson

I have to confess that I did cut four trees down today, but the two biggest ones (like that one to my left) were already dead. The other two were just in my way.

DSCF0011.JPG

6. John Brunner

If you have an attachment to anything, you ain't one of them.

Faye Fox and Bobby Cole like this.
  7. John Brunner

There is a show on Sunday mornings called Virginia Farming. Each week they showcase farmers engaged anywhere along the spectrum of all things farming.

There is a guy who manages hardwood forests. He's a farmer and a forester. He does it "old school," using draft horses to get deep into the woods and selectively removing trees that are either in bad shape or that are impeding the overall health of that forest. It's fascinating because modern equipment cannot do that...it indiscriminately cuts a broad swath. He calls it "restorative forestry."

He also uses draft horses for all his other needs: plowing, mowing, baling, etc.

Here's that episode. His part is the very beginning of the show.

Last edited: Jun 28, 2021
  8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Since I spend many years off the grid using solar, wind, and water, tanned hides using cow brains, sawed my own lumber from reject trees, built my cabin using hand tools except a chainsaw, made my clothes using used clothes as material, had beef cattle, butchered my own meat, had dairy goats, made cheese, spun my sheep's wool, grew, harvested, and ground my own grain, had FREE RANGE Araucana chickens, made my own throwing knives and muzzleloader, molded my own bullets and loaded my own ammo, etc., I feel I have the right to live in a careless way in my old age, disregarding any and all environmentally friendly ways.

Be that as it may, I am more environmentally conscious and active in my old age than any 100 environmentalists.

I don't use panty liners. I hand wash undies and line dry.
    I walk nearly everywhere. I have put only about 400 miles on my great gas mileage car this year.
    I repair everything possible.
    I use the blank back of trash mail for keeping notes, sketching ideas, or doodling.
    My house is highly energy-efficient and my energy bills are half of any neighbors.
    I use blueberry juice fresh from the blueberries for lip color and top it with Burts natural lip balm.
    I hate to cook so that saves energy and my grill is electric with an energy-saving seal on front.
    I eat foods that produce less gas.
    I seldom burp, but when I do I always quote Shrek, "Better to get it out than keep it in, I say."

Last edited: Jun 29, 2021
    Don Alaska and Sunny Bonet like this.
  9. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

I am the Anti-Green. Crank the a/c, run the water, drive a gas-guzzler. Life is short. :p

10. Teresa Levitt

Teresa Levitt Veteran Member
    Registered

we collect rain water....
    we only go out once a week..
    we have created a haven for birds...fish...frogs...toads...other critters too..
    trees..lots of trees that make firewood..which is supposed to be a "bad"....
    part of our enjoyment tho

11. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

I have a cow and I brush her everyday. (Despite what she claims) I will bet money that more farts come from all the humans on the planet than all the cows! I compost almost everything including her poop. We grow most of our own food saving transport and packaging. We Make firewood mostly from culled trees.
    I don't trade in any cars, I wait till they die and then donate them for parts. I buy used. Battery powered cars pollute more (in parts) than gas and they STILL don't have a plan for spent batteries.
    I heard a financial planner on the radio say we need to budget. No more than $50,000 on pleasure trips per year. I have never gone over that amount, especially since we don't go anywhere. I save all of that money up for a rainy day. In case of a flood or the wind ripping our roof off.

12. Ken Anderson

I forgot that one. I don't use panty liners, either.

13. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

The environment is in deep trouble if these toons are protecting it.

John Brunner likes this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I haven’t looked up the full article and do plan to when I’m finished for the day but the meme stands as something to whet the appetite for something I think is worth while investigating further.
    upload_2021-9-11_9-46-27.png

15. John Brunner

Interesting that a country whose poverty rate constantly hovers in the 85%-90% range can have a consumer plastic waste problem.