Seniors Community Centre Anyone?

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Ann George, Dec 7, 2017.

1. Kitty Carmel

Kitty Carmel Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't think I'm "there" yet but I also think it's nice if there is a gathering place for seniors only. I'm sure many enjoy the company. Not sure I would.

2. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

Only have been to a senior place, when taking a senior patient. The lunch was awful , would not give to my dog.
    However, at the lunch did interact with some veteran women, of various military backgrounds that had some good stories to tell.
    I am just not old enough yet to feel comfortable hanging around with a bunch of "ole people" whose highlight of the day is basket weaving
    and a putrid little unappetizing meal served in microwaveable plastic. If I make it to 80, um maybe:p

3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, but you have a hubby. If you were alone like I am, you'll try anything to make a few friends. My neighbors are great but most are young families with small children.

4. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

I doubt all senior centres are the same. The one I visited had people of all ages over 55 and up. They have a membership of over 1500 so I think anyone could find a new friend in a place like that.

5. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

True...but still probably not go there.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  6. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

We have one here but have never been there. It just doesn't appeal to us. I don't really know what they do there, play a lot of bingo I suppose. Most of our neighbors are seniors too and they haven't been there either.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Dunno. My wife posted that while yes, we do have a very large center here, although unlike her, I have never visited it.

I have however, gone to a couple of them in another state and much to my chagrin, they were filled with old people.
    Other than age and the fact that I am human, I tried to figure out what I might possibly have in common with them. Let's see, there were people playing cards, chess, checkers and some putting together jig-saw puzzles. On both occasions I saw ladies and older gents interrupting the activities by going from table to table to show off the pictures of their new grandchildren or great grandchildren which absolutely thrilled me beyond any happy face emotion I could manage to bring up. You know, that face that comes with "Oh my God" complete with gaping mouth forced into a smile? Yeah, that one.
    Almost as exiting as being invited to a party and wind up watching an 18mm explicit home movie of the wife giving birth to their 8th child.

I did however, find one senior center that had belly dancing and although they were not meant for men, we could sit quietly and watch outside the glass door. After a bit I really, really did want to stand up, blow a whistle and yell, "Nothing to see here folks, go back to your tables" but not to hurt anyone's else's imaginary feastings, I went over to a table and listened to someone describe the root canal they had the week before. Of course, in the spirit of one-upmanship, there was someone else who went through the minute by minute history of his colonoscopy complete with pictures. Hmmm...I still wonder if they make those in wallet size?

On neither occasion did I sample the food that was served for lunch. In both instances, the aroma was too reminiscent of my second wife's cooking which generally consisted of hamburger helper without the hamburger. (She just couldn't seem to grasp that the meat wasn't in the box!)
    You know, that aroma you get when the pasta is way overcooked and scorched beyond recognition? And of course, not to be unhealthy, I did see something akin to cooked broccoli once but again, the aroma prior to actually seeing it was that of burnt cabbage or the lady next to me had one of those quiet toots.

No, I think I will stick to the Wellness Center. At least there, if too much goes on that reminds me that I that am getting up there in age, I can roll by the Zumba class door and actually see what it was like when I was much younger instead of being given examples of what life will be like as I grow older.

8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Well I like to talk about dental and medical procedures and grandchildren so it might just be for me.

Zumba isn't for me anymore so except for the treadmill it's not worth joining the gym here.. where all I see is 20 yr old hard bodies.

I was much younger 9 yrs ago when I checked it out with my ex and then I hated it but I'm older now so I'll see.

9. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

With ever increasing unemployment in South Australia you don’t need to be homeless to,go to a community centre for a meal .

The Holden factory that made cars since 1948 has just closed down leaving up to 5.000 men and women out of work ,3.000 at Holden’s and another 2.000 in related industries like seat making ,plastic car dashboards / bumpers / boot linings/ carpet / windows and the list go’s on

The closure of there’s industries effects allot of families in a state that aso has the highest electricity prices in the world, allot have to pay their mortgages to keep a roof over their families heads and if you relying on welfare while trying to find another job it doesn’t leave allot of money for food once essential services ,such as council rates ,water rates ,ect are paid .

I say thank goodness for the community services that supply low cost meals to the ever increasing hungry public, that would otherwise starve

I visited an old friend the other night I haven’t seen in a long time ,we have been friends since 1971 ,her son who went to school and was friends with my kids has recently lost his leg below the knee and has issues with his other foot which may result in him loosing his other foot ,anyway he was refused Centrelink payment ( welfare ) unless he could prove he was looking for 5 jobs a week in his condition ..he’s one of my kids age 48 ...he’s been refused any payment at all beacuse he can’t look for work I’d hate to think where he’s be without a helping hand
    from community services .

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We act much too young to go to a Senior Center. Heck, the way I am, I'd probably give someone a heart attack.

11. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Veteran Member
    Registered

I went to the local senior center for an appointment with a HICAP counselor to decide which drug insurance to take. I stuck around a little after the appointment. Kinda depressing. Many my age or even younger needing a cane to walk, or a walker, or a wheelchair. I had a hard life, and thought I was bad off, but compared to them I'm in great shape.

I know they have classes there. Someone was wanting me to join the Tai Chi Chih (a simplified form of Tai Chi) class, so I suspect there are other classes, but I'm not real into it. Now that I got my home PC, I'm looking forward to being a recluse. Those wanting classes can look into the local adult school, and community colleges often have cheap classes you can 'audit'.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Zoe Gregerson

Zoe Gregerson Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Ann, this is what I use to find all of my senior needs -- http://nvseniorguide.com ... check to see if there is something like this in your area :)

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

@Zoe Gregerson, welcome to the forum. I hope you will find other topics here to be of interest, and join in on our discussions.

Yvonne Smith likes this.