Seniors Club Has Been Sold!!!.

Discussion in 'Tall Tales & Fabrications' started by Ken N Louis, Apr 1, 2019.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

After reading this, it started me to thinking about the Jewish customs, and that maybe they celebrate the new year as starting in the spring; so I did some searching, and it appears that Torah-keepers DO start their year in the spring and not the mid-winter, as our calendar does.
    Actually, this makes a whole lot of sense to me, because spring is when the whole world comes back to life again after the winter of being dormant, and it just seems like this is when a new year should actually start.
    I have friends and family who are Torah-keepers, and I think that they do still use either late March, or April as the start of their new year.
    Even our month names show that this was when the calendar used to start (in March) because Sept/Oct/Nov/Dec are originally named for the 7/8/9/10th months of the year.

It makes sense that it would have been hard and took a long time to spread the word of this change several hundred years ago when it was changed to January 1st, and there would have still been many, many people who celebrated the new year as starting in the spring.

http://hebrewnation.us/2018/04/april-fools-easter/

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Whilst I didn’t realize it before but April Fool’s day was canceled this year. There’s so much unbelievable crap going on in the world that no one would know the difference.

4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

A Calendar Where Every Month Is 28 Days Would Actually Make a Ton of Sense

"The idea is simple. Each month has four, seven-day weeks, making a total of 28 days. There are 13 months in a year, totaling 364 days, with a new month in between June and July called “Sol” to mark the summer solstice. The leftover day is a special Year Day, with two such days every four years."

"The idea was first proposed by British railway worker Moses B. Cotsworth, who devised it in 1902 as a way of making his job easier. George Eastman, head of Kodak, used the calendar in his company from 1924 to 1989, but employees didn’t live their lives by the strange structure and stuck to Gregorian outside of work. A proposal put forth to the League of Nations attracted a great deal of interest, but that too fell by the wayside as World War II disbanded the league."

Nancy Hart and Bobby Cole like this.
  5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

A small down-side might be that each month would contain a Friday the 13th.

Yvonne Smith and Bobby Cole like this.