Senior Fitness And Workouts

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Faye Fox, Dec 28, 2022.

1. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

Being sedentary is my worst enemy, as I now notice the difference in how I feel (mind and body) after an hour or so of exercise compared to not doing anything for 3 or 4 days in a row. Good for you guys! One of the best exercises I've found is switching around my furniture and finally coming to my large computer desk, crawling under to either disconnect everything, and then plugging it all in again, then crawling back out without banging my head :p:rolleyes:

Bobby Cole likes this.
  2. Denise Evans

Registered

I believe it has to do with the fat we don't see, around our organs. When I dropped my carbs down to under 50 grams a day, sometimes much lower, I started losing weight, and inches were starting to decrease within about 4 or so months. Everyone is different in where their fat shows, mine was around my middle, but the cellulite started showing up in mostly my upper legs.

I'm a T2 diabetic and that's what got me into Low carb eating, but I also upped my meat/fish/dairy consumption so I didn't lose energy. I ended up with quite a bit of loose skin so started weight-resistance exercises, and walking again after a few months just working on nutrition. My viewable fat is pretty much gone except the belly-fat, but I never thought about what fat build up there was on the inside as well. That scared me because I want to get rid of the fat around my organs, especially my heart.

There's a lot of info on Insulin Resistance and Metabolic syndrome online. I'll list one of my fave videos on those subjects. I've learned a lot and my life has improved in so many ways in the last 2.5 years. He talks first about fasting and I basically don't fast, only overnight while sleeping, so I take what I need/want and leave the rest:

Last edited: Mar 21, 2023
    Beth Gallagher likes this.
  3. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Haven't walked but once in last couple weeks and I can really tell both mental and phsycally.
    So today we take the dogs who love to walk on trials too. They can't wait to put their harness on.And just as I almost get it snapped they move!:eek:

Denise Evans likes this.
  4. Thomas Windom

Thomas Windom Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Very soon, we will both start a routine. We’ve had a few too many things going on lately that serve as too convenient distractions but that should calm down soon. I had a pretty regular routine until we both got covid.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  5. Marie Mallery

Registered

Hope y'all do get out soon, we had a cold spell so my walks are later now. Also not much sleep.

Denise Evans likes this.
  6. Denise Evans

Registered

Walking is my favorite form of exercise. I've found if I take a walk even 10 minutes, but up to an hour if I'm talking to my best friend from highschool, lol, I sleep better. I do like going after dinner as sitting in my recliner or at the computer after dinner, well, I just don't feel near as good.

I've had a week now of not doing anything and I so feel crappy!

7. Marie Mallery

Registered

Denise maybe I can remind you sometimes , my daughter does me ,ask did you walk today, I hate to tell her no.

Denise Evans likes this.
  8. Denise Evans

Registered

My body speaks loud and clear, good thing since I don't have a daughter to remind me, LOL!!

9. Thomas Windom

Registered

I can do short walks. Anything too long or too strenuous (even our little hills here) and my back and legs make it too uncomfortable.

Marie Mallery and Denise Evans like this.
  10. Denise Evans

Registered

I've just read recently how much even 10 minutes can do, but I suspect even shorter would help. I know there are some days I just do what I can around my small apartment. If you like to watch Youtube videos, there's something, I think anyway, for everyone on there. I don't know your exact issues Thomas, but I would be glad to send you something on things folks can do even if they are bed-ridden, big hug coming your way, Denise

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  11. Thomas Windom

Registered

Yep. I made another post here somewhere about the little 10 minutes walks we do in the house right after any meal and how it had a dramatic impact on my A1C. Every little bit…

12. Marie Mallery

Registered

Sorry you have that problem Thomas.

13. Denise Evans

Registered

I have 2 neighbors that walk about 3-4 times a week, one is into her 90s, and pretty frail, the other is late 80s now and they both use walkers. I don't know if this video would help anyone here or not, but thought I'd post it just in case. BTW, these 2 gals don't walk when it's raining:

14. Denise Evans

Registered

Yes!! I can't believe how much better my A1c's are too Thomas! I don't check them after a walk, but I learned what foods spiked them so I just don't eat them. It was hard because I was a carb-junkie, lol, but I stopped missing them.

15. Marie Mallery

Registered

My gooness Denise I recommended Brad and Bob here just a couple months ago, forgot which forum but they are my favorite PTs. Cured my neck or made it less painful. I like those two guys.

Denise Evans likes this.