Senior Discounts

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Diane Lane, Apr 11, 2015.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I didn't see a thread for Senior Discounts, so started this. I don't yet qualify for most of the Senior Discounts I see advertised, but some shops do offer specials for those over 50, or who are 55+.

Burke's Outlet has a program called Monday Club, for those over age 50:
    15% off all purchases every Monday when you join the Burke's Outlet Monday Club.

Hancock Fabrics has Senior Citizen Days, for those 55+. Senior Citizen Days are on the 1st and 3rd Wednesday of each month, and senior citizens will get 15% off their entire purchase in stores on these days.

Additionally, I recently found out that my city offers discounts on water/trash collection services for those over 60, who are on limited incomes.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Some (but not all) Dunkin' Donuts offer discounts for seniors fifty or older.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I grew up with Dunkin' Donuts, and am addicted, even though there isn't one all that close to my home. I keep telling them we need one here, but I am going to check the ones nearby, to see if they give the discount. That might give me the excuse to drive the extra way for a cup...and a donut.

4. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

I went to one of the donut shops here (I think that it was the Dunkin'Donuts one) and my friend Joyce Mcgregor said they had free coffee for seniors when you got a donut. At least, i think that was how it went. I know we had a donut and cup of coffee, and had some sort of a senior discount.
    Many of the fast food places have a senior special or a senior discount; but they do not always advertise it, so unless you specifically ask about one, they do not tell you about it.
    My favorite place to go for lunch is Ryan's and they have a late lunch senior special, plus you get the drink free with your meal.
    thrift stores are another place that usually have a special sales day for seniors, and different ones will have it on different days.
    I have just made it kind of a habit to always ask about a senior discount anywhere i go, and you never know when you will find another place that has one.
    Lowe's doesn't have a senior discount; but they do have a veteran's discount, which works good for us, and probably some of the other forum members.

5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Senior citizens here are lucky to be granted 20% discount on food in restaurants and other eateries. On top of that, it is vat free so practically it's 1/3 of the bill that is saved. My husband is 60 already and has a senior citizens ID. When we eat out, he gets a discount on his order only. But that's a big discount already. Like the other day we dined in a restaurant and the bill amounted to 600. We were charged 500 only.

In lines for anything especially in government offices, senior citizens have a special lane. Those priorities can also be found in the airport and some other offices. Even in the duty free, a returning resident is allowed to shop in the duty free outlets within 48 hours upon arrival. But a senior citizen has the privilege to shop within one year from the date of arrival... although only once. Tomorrow, we will go to the duty free shop and test that privilege since we went abroad last January and April.

6. Pat Baker

Pat Baker Supreme Member
    Registered

The commuter train between DC and Baltimore has a discount for seniors which is good for half off the price of the ticket.

7. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Veteran Member
    Registered

In the city where I live there are not only loads of senior discounts, but also the local government grants a permanent monthly financial aid that is worth half the actual minimum wage, adjusting every year accordingly, plus the fourth part of this same wage from an additional federal-funded bonus. In addition seniors do not pay ticket in the public transport network, and several places and venues, and other associated really-free benefits.

Problem here is that to apply for the seniors program one needs to be at least 60 years old for free public transportation and discounts, 65 for the federal bonus, and 68 for the local seniors card that includes the principal grant and all other benefits, including free medical service and treatment.

Corie Henson likes this.
  8. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

This is something I've not often taken advantage of. First of all, it seems to be very difficult to find out which places offer because for some reason, it's not advertised for most of them.

And then there's the age thing... while I can "legally" get the 50+ or 55+, I cannot get any 60+ discounts yet... add to that the fact that I don't "look my age" and that EVERY single 50+ senior discount I've tried to claim turned out to be an embarrassment because the clerk/cashier/person in charge thought I was tried to defraud them. :( After a number of tries, I concluded it really wasn't worth the effort... or embarrassment. Last and worst was the cashier calling out to the manager that I was trying to get a 50+ discount and "she's obviously not 50, what should I do, Harry?" :oops::oops: (And yes, I sure wish I would have been asked for ID *before* that moment, but I didn't see it coming!)

All that aside, I think the senior discounts for chains (I've heard KMart has a great one on... maybe Wednesdays?) are wonderful and I wish they'd be publicized more.

Oh, and a third major issue is that many local places, even the national chains, have workers who don't seem to even be *aware* of their senior discount policy.

Others won't combine discounts... so if I get a 10% Internet, Military, or AAA discount at a hotel, there's no way they'll do a senior discount as well. For my parents this has been awesome... for me, not so much.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2016
  9. Amy Read

Amy Read Veteran Member
    Registered

It will take me and my husband still more years before we reach our 60 and to avail of a senior card. But my mother who had her senior card is enjoying its benefits for a long time ago already like when doing the groceries, buying medicines, hospitalization and when dining in a restaurant. In some ways it had been very useful to my mother who is 84 years old now but still strong and healthy.

10. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff

Since I am almost 71 now, I never have any problem qualifying for the discounts; but when I was younger, I always had my ID ready to show them when I asked for the discount if I was close to the eligibility age.
    It seems like most places do not advertise that they have a senior discount program. You have to ask and see if they have one, and what it involves. I always ask when I go into a new store to see if they have one.
    I think that most of the fast food places have a discount; but I have never ever seen one advertised.
    Kroger is great because when you have the Kroger card, it automatically lets the cashier know (or just gives you the discount) so I always get the special price when I go there on Wednesdays , which is their special senior day.

11. Bess Barber

Bess Barber Veteran Member
    Task Force Registered

Ken Anderson likes this.
  12. Sam Calabria

Sam Calabria Well-Known Member
    Registered

13. Sam Calabria

Sam Calabria Well-Known Member
    Registered

Hedi Mitchell likes this.