Senior Couple's Food Bonding Moments

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Eilynne Medalla, Aug 20, 2015.

1. Eilynne Medalla

Eilynne Medalla Veteran Member
    Registered

From a very rich, luxurious food preferences of our younger years, our foodie lifestyle as Seniors has evolved down to the very basic, simple but equally "feel-good" engaging choices.

If we're hanging out in the Mall (watching movie, grocery shopping, running errands, etc) and we're really starving, for a really quick fix "I'm so hungry", a one-piece fried chicken with rice is sufficient for me and my husband! We usually have this in the most popular fast food restaurant in my country (well known for its distinctively delicious fried chicken!). To satisfy my once-in-month craving, I go to my favorite ice cream parlor for a 2-scoop sugar-free ice cream + 1-scoop of regular flavor! Heaven & bliss!

I don't usually finish off the 3-scoops, just have a taste of each and then pass it on to my ever loving husband (who doesn't mind having my left-overs, thank God!). My husband has his own favorite thing, a reasonably priced coffee 2X a week while reading free newspaper in a French bake shop (who makes the best croissants exactly like they do in a Paris patisserie!). Their bread/pasta/cheese cakes selections are also very French! If sugar-free ice cream is my downfall, my husband's is those zero-sugar/medium ice cold tea drinks with jelly & tapioca pearls.

For real dining experience, nothing beats our own cooking-from-the-heart moments! Married for 35-years, we've been dishing out our favorite specialties, sharing our food with family and friends during what we call "fellowship meals" (where laughter and love-filled moments abound!).

2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

My husband is a Coke addict and usually we would finish a can so when I want a drink, I would get my own can. But a few years ago, we are now sharing one can because he cannot finish it anymore. And with the rice, we just order 1 cup when eating out because our quota is just half a cup each. It looks like we are saving money with the food expenses.

My husband works as a consultant of a non-profit corporation that is filled with mostly senior citizens. I would always tell him that he should join his colleagues every Friday night for a drink. But his colleagues are heavy drinkers and my husband is a one-bottle drinker only so he would always evade invitations. My reason for wanting him to join the drinking session is so he could somehow bond with people of his age.