Senior Club Directory Project

Discussion in 'Senior Directory Project' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Avigail David

Avigail David Well-Known Member
    Registered

After much reading and researching, I find this article and editorial , Apples and Oranges Ken wrote on Web Directory Digest extremely helpful. Because I'm trying to make sense of all that's being said in this thread. Apples and Oranges explains about the use of search engines and web directories: their similarities and differences. (I'll be biased here favoring Ken's Senior Club Directory project idea :))
    http://www.webdirectorydigest.org/2015/04/apples-oranges/
    Or you can participate in the forum here:http://www.webdirectoryforum.org/
    Have a browse or directly visit here: http://dir.webdirectoryreviews.org/

Ken Anderson likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

Thank you, @Avigail David and I will get started on this as soon as I am able.

3. Gregg Phillips

Gregg Phillips New Member
    Registered

This looks like an interesting project!
    How can I assist in helping to bring it about?

4. Ken Anderson

Registered

I will have to buy the script and set it up first. Then there will be plenty that can be done by anyone who is interested.

5. Bobby Gnomy

Bobby Gnomy Member
    Registered

I had a web directory online for several years. Unfortunately, there is no record of it anywhere on the web, and if you type in the domain name -- it goes to a completely different site. It was quite massive and became too difficult to keep up with the changes in URL's and content. So, I took it offline and someone bought the domain name. The domain name was: topix4u.com "the best student, parent, and teacher resource for everything under the sun." At any rate, this is a moot point. I am interested in your project.

6. Ken Anderson

Registered

It's been put on hold due to a string of things getting in the way, but I do still intend to go ahead with it, and would be very happy to have your help. In the event that you weren't aware of the Internet Archive (Wayback Machine), I thought I'd post a flashback:

topix4u.jpg

7. Bobby Gnomy

Bobby Gnomy Member
    Registered

I am very much aware of the Wayback Machine. The last time I looked for my old site, it wasn't listed there. WOW, this brings back memories. Yes, I'll be happy to help out. Just holler at me. :)

Ken Anderson likes this.
  8. Denise Happyfeet

Denise Happyfeet Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I get it Ken!! I think it's a great idea. Now to see if I am clear on it, let me tell you what I got out of it.

I would give a list of sites that I frequent, such as these (all free):

Majorgeeks (this place answer tons of my tekkie questions)

Pandora (plays fave tunes from every genre)

myfitnesspal (keep track of calories eaten, exercises)

pogo (free games galore)

How to Geek (another site to ask tekkie questions)

library2go (check out books online to android, Iphones, ipads, pc's or laptops, Nooks, kindles)

I have a ton more, and am always finding new "help" sites mostly;) Is this what you are thinking Ken?

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  9. Ken Anderson

Registered

So far, what I have in mind is a directory of resources that are particularly helpful, useful, or of interest to people fifty and older. Probably, this will include a members category, where active members who are interested in doing so can link to sites that they enjoy, sites they or their family members may own, their neighborhood grocery store, etc.

10. Denise Happyfeet

Registered

Ok, so websites that belong to family, or the member themselves? To promote their businesses?

Not like Angies List so much??

11. Denise Happyfeet

Registered

Ok, well, I'll just wait until you start it up, then follow suit;) Denise

12. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think the idea of a Senior directory sounds really pretty awesome. I also like the sites you mentioned Denise. I am familar with most of those sites and consider them to be a resource already. The geek site is new to me, and it sounds like something I could use. I would make sure I used a site like that when I need help with a particular resource. It sounds like something I could really use, when faced with computer dilemmas.

Ina I. Wonder likes this.
  13. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Oh, even though the list would be huge, I think adding the places you can get senior discounts would be useful. I was just looking at an article like that, and some you not realize. Apparently you can get some very large discounts at the Hyatt if you are over 50. Something like this would be very interesting and informative to include. However, it would be time consuming to put all that info together maybe just a website that lists the possibilities.

Avigail David and Ina I. Wonder like this.
  14. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Well-Known Member
    Registered

I would love to have one place I could go to and in order to find discounts for people over 50. Currently, I don't know of one reference material or website that does this. What a practical and helpful idea.

15. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Well-Known Member
    Registered

There are such sites already - for example, in the UK there's www.silversurfers. com and in Ireland there's www.goldenireland.ie - but there's room for more and maybe if you don't have any in the US these two. In France there are also quite a few : http://www.happysilvers.fr/ and https://www.club-50plus.fr/forum/

I hope it's OK to post these links - I thought they might be useful for ideas.

The SilverSurfers (UK) one even has a discount card for the over 50s which gives deals on insurance, theatre tickets, restaurants, breakdown cover, flights, holidays, clothes, computers, wine and much more! I have a few friends in the UK who benefit from this.

If you could set up something like that in the US it would be very popular I'm sure (here's the FAQ page : https://www.silversurfers.com/silvercard-faqs/)

Jim Veradyne likes this.
  16. Amie Ar

Amie Ar Active Member
    Registered

This will be great Ken! It will surely drive traffic to this forum due to its usefulness and information needed by most searchers in the net. :)

17. Michelle Anderson

Registered

So that would be a block of time available AFTER you use the block of time available to finish the walls in the attic, right? :)

18. Ken Anderson

Registered

I would love to honey, but I'm not supposed to lift more than a quarter pound, remember.

Michelle Anderson likes this.
  19. Michelle Anderson

Registered

First of all, I always relate immediately to a fellow MyFitnessPal user!

Although I haven't discussed it with @Ken Anderson, based on my own directory experience -- which mirror's his -- I'm going to venture a guess that any site created by a member here would, by default,be eligible for inclusion.

Because a directory prospers by INCLUDING rather than EXCLUDING sites, directory owners will usually include sites which have even the most tenuous of connections to the target.

For example, because MyFitnessPal is adjustable to allow a 60-year-old to use it as successfully as a 19-year-old, I would think it would be an excellent candidate for Ken's directory.

Angie's List is not really a directory. It's a list of businesses which offers reviews -- or at least opinions -- about the services offered, as opposed to reviews of the sites themselves.