Senior Club Directory Project

Discussion in 'Senior Directory Project' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 23, 2015.

1. Jim Veradyne

Jim Veradyne Well-Known Member
    Registered

Whichever you choose, it's fine with me.

2. Priscilla King

Registered

Interesting idea...I don't see my web site as age-specific (I write with middle school students like the younger Nephews in mind) but since I'm a late-baby-boomer, one of the mostly silent partners is a Vietnam veteran, some of what Google misleadingly calls our "members" are grandmothers, one of our contributors is a great-grandmother, and another mostly silent partner just turned 80, I suppose it is senior-friendly. It's about books, and writing, and being a writer, and the rights of writers, and the things other than writing that interest writers. Feel free to include it if you think it's relevant.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

The directory would include age-specific sites, but it would include anything that participating members of this forum would like to add, within the levels of decency, that is.

4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I have a stalker, so, unfortunately, I tend to keep things separated online, but even if I wasn't able to list my shops, I'd still be interested in using the directory, and seeing what is on there.

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

As an update, I am hoping to get this started within the next month. I got behind on some things, including money, with being sick so much this past winter, but I hope to be able to get moving with this soon.

Magalina Lilis likes this.
  6. Avigail David

Avigail David Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Your last update of this thread says, April 16. How has your Directory plan been going? Will we know when it's up and running? I wish you success in this endeavor.

7. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

I am waiting for a week when I have a block of time available to get things set up, so that, by the time it is linkable from the forum, everything is in working order. I'll be using phpMyDirectory, which is an excellent software, but not one in which I've had a large amount of experience. I want to use that because it produce responsive pages, but also because there is a module that will connect it to the forum so that those of you who will be assisting in this will not have to register separately with the directory, or log-in separately.

Avigail David likes this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

I haven't forgotten this, by the way. It has been put on hold, but it won't be long now.

9. Carlota Clemens

Carlota Clemens Well-Known Member
    Registered

I was about to ask what was going on backstage with this project precisely a few weeks back, so your update to this thread is truly much appreciate because I think the Senior Club Directory is a really good idea but I know you and your wife have been facing hard times.

Hope you both are doing better after your daughter sensitive loss, and may this directory serve as therapy activity.

10. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

Things were put on hold for a time. Not only was my mind in another place, but it cost a bit of money for the traveling. Although the Army is reimbursing us for it, it had to come out of pocket to begin with. I have not suspended the idea and hope to get moving with it before too terribly long.

11. Avigail David

Avigail David Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

After much reading and researching, I find this article and editorial , Apples and Oranges Ken wrote on Web Directory Digest extremely helpful. Because I'm trying to make sense of all that's being said in this thread. Apples and Oranges explains about the use of search engines and web directories: their similarities and differences. (I'll be biased here favoring Ken's Senior Club Directory project idea :))
    http://www.webdirectorydigest.org/2015/04/apples-oranges/
    Or you can participate in the forum here:http://www.webdirectoryforum.org/
    Have a browse or directly visit here: http://dir.webdirectoryreviews.org/

Ken Anderson likes this.
  12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

Thank you, @Avigail David and I will get started on this as soon as I am able.

13. Gregg Phillips

Gregg Phillips New Member
    Registered

This looks like an interesting project!
    How can I assist in helping to bring it about?

14. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

I will have to buy the script and set it up first. Then there will be plenty that can be done by anyone who is interested.

15. Bobby Gnomy

Bobby Gnomy Member
    Registered

I had a web directory online for several years. Unfortunately, there is no record of it anywhere on the web, and if you type in the domain name -- it goes to a completely different site. It was quite massive and became too difficult to keep up with the changes in URL's and content. So, I took it offline and someone bought the domain name. The domain name was: topix4u.com "the best student, parent, and teacher resource for everything under the sun." At any rate, this is a moot point. I am interested in your project.

Ken Anderson likes this.