Senior Aerobics

Discussion in 'Health & Wellness' started by Hal Pollner, Oct 24, 2018.

1. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

That's another comment I don't understand, Shirley.....

Hal

2. Hal Pollner

Registered

Listen, Bobby...I didn't say I was in better shape than the 2 men you mentioned; I just said I was satisfied with my build: 6' 2", 200 pounds, and no beer belly!

Hal

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Okay, but here's where the misunderstanding comes from.
    You did say that you wished to use the machines at the possible location of Planet Fitness.
    No matter which machine you may opt for, they are all geared toward building muscle.
    Heck, even the treadmills build calf and leg muscles not even forgetting that the heart (muscle) is being strengthened through the aerobic style of exercise.

So do forgive if I came back a little strong but your reply seemed kinda snarky or at least, to me it did and all I was initially trying to do is reply with some expertise involved.

Ken Anderson likes this.
  4. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Lately, I get my exercise mostly from sliding in and out, getting up and down, squirming beneath while twisting stubborn, rusted-on bolts and brackets, working my shoulders to near exhaustion, my vehicles.
    Frank

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

What? No knuckle busters? Ya just gotta have knuckle busters if you’re going to workout with vehicles or there’s no exterior proof that you actually did anything. :)

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  6. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Bobby Cole
    My knuckles were lost long ago in this game.......
    Frank

Bobby Cole and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Hal Pollner

Registered

Dear @Bobby;

I would be remiss not to forgive you for your position on my Fitness goals, so I forgive those remarks.

But I'm sure there is room on Mount Rushmore for busts of the gentlemen who can squat 350 pounds and press 200 pounds!

I do not use my weightlifting bench for heavy lifting; I use whatever weight is necessary on my bar to allow me to do 20 REPETITIONS !

This represents EXERCISE, which is what I want, not weightlifting per se.

As such I find that 65 pounds allows me to do 20 quick reps with the barbell, which I feel is sufficient exercise for the muscle groups involved, and I find that my body weght alone is sufficient for squats.

I'm not looking for blimp-like thighs!

Seeeee ya,
    Hal

Last edited: Oct 25, 2018
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Bye Hal. You already know it all and there is nothing anyone can teach you.

9. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Bobby Cole @Hal Pollner

You two sure can be nasty toward one-another!
    Frank

10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

So it would seem Frank, so it would seem.

But, back to the topic at hand.
    When I see or hear the ads spinning some mischief about "burns fat fast" and "lose 20 lbs in a week without working out", it makes me a tad anxious to see the very least.
    It takes work and it isn't easy but the end results, whether from aerobic exercise or shooting for hypertrophy, can be ultimately satisfying when alas, the water weight is gone, some fat is burned and a little muscle shows when looking in the mirror.

The people I have a LOT of honor for are those guys and gals who are fighting the odds and really working to make a better life for themselves. They don't believe the ads and myths and are putting every ounce of energy into doing things right. Some of them are pretty crippled up from strokes and some are still coming off of heart attacks and worse but there they are, hitting the machines and / or swimming and getting better by the day.
    I've heard older guys than myself talk about their last hormone checks and how, by working their larger muscle masses like the glutes and quads are increasing their testosterone levels which leads to greater strength and stamina.
    Exercise isn't play time for most folks that I hang around with at the gym but man, it's soooo much fun and great to watch the achievements in myself and others.

11. Hal Pollner

Registered

Well Bobby...can I consider this an Armistice?

Harold
    640.jpg

12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Hal, there was never a war to begin with.
    The whole thing isn’t about you and certainly isn’t about me. The topic you created is about senior aerobics but you also later asked for any gym activity. I answered and was met with some remarks I do find filled with ego and even some contempt.

To me, it’s all about seniors and the lengths that we and others will go to try and re-claim what was once the norm and it’s also about those who have never seen a gym but are now holding on to their youth by going to one.
    The two gentlemen I mentioned are not looking for their names in print or a place on Rushmore but are there working and training to keep some of what they once had.
    They can no longer compete with the younger guys because they’re too old and yet they keep going.

For me, it’s yet another thing. Everything I do is part and parcel of who and what I am. I, like my wife, research and study and work hard to do what others say cannot be done but yet, we’re doing it.
    They say that men over 60 cannot build muscle but I am and the chances of an over 70 year old woman with a myriad of heart problems swimming a mile is almost unheard of, but my wife does.

In short, we learned to follow a different set of rules as do many of the people who we see at the gym. They’re not there to view the girls or guys or pretend to be what they aren’t but are there trying their butts off to maintain some sense of kinship with a not so forgotten past.
    The seniors we meet are older ladies trying to look like they are still desirable and feel healthy and guys are trying to do the same and maybe see some semblance of what they once saw in the mirror or perhaps like me, even more.

No Hal, there’s no war. I simply find that when some folks seem to look down upon what other seniors including my wife or I do as some sort of game, I do get testy to say the least.
    The only war that has to be fought is one of age and the degeneration of brain and body and that’s a war that can be won if but only for a small bit of time before we pass from this earth.
    I am fighting it, you’re fighting it and so are thousands if not millions of other seniors and if we are to get it right, sometimes we just need to sit and listen instead of reacting.

13. Hal Pollner

Registered

WHEW, Bobby,

Your reply is absolutely flabbergasting!

I should print it out and save it!

Maybe I shouldn't have down-played muscle-building in favor of lightweight aerobics. They both have their adherents!

Since you and Yvonne have reached a high plateau of fitness, how about a picture of you both?

Here's Judy and I back in my 70's:

Hal
    515.jpg

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yvonne has one that has been around for about 15 years and she might possibly post it at some time.
    I really hate cameras but I’m going to have some pictures taken in late January and perhaps Yvonne might volunteer to be in it also since she, unlike me, likes a bit of history via the Kodak or whatever.
    For myself, the pictures will be for a reference point since it seems that the camera sees what I cannot and I need a base for further training.

By the bye, thank you for the warm words and yes, you are right in that each style of training does have it’s own merit and own rewards. :)