Semi-unfriendly People

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Jun 23, 2017.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

I put "semi" because these people will only talk when first talked to. Even after someone talks to them for the first time, and both parties get to know each other some, the "semi" will still only talk when first spoken to.

Wife and I have run into this here and in other states (CO, NC and So Calif.) we've lived in. Wife and I are friendly and that's just the way we are. Actually, I can speak to any stranger, but obviously I'm careful as to who I do speak to, but my wife sometimes needs a drink or two to loosen up and speak.

There are reasons I keep talking about the farming community I lived in during my teen years and the small town close to where our farm was. Everyone was pretty friendly, but I didn't know everyone. But, much friendlier than I've encountered since leaving the farm.

When we've been asked about "friends" and we basically tell people "we have none", they get a little shocked. We do have a few "acquaintances", but not what is called "a friend". A lot of married couples do things separately, whereas we don't.

We've been told about making friends at a local church. We simply don't fit in with the "clicky" type of young folks that go to the church we've gone to.

One thing for sure, we'd like to make some friends, but we are picky about "who". Has to be non-smokers, no foul language, married and around our age or somewhat younger. We like boating and going to the target range, so............

Guess there is no way to make "semi" friendly people into totally "friendly" people, hugh?

2. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I'm friendly and speak to everyone I meet but I don't make friends easily. Guess I have to click with the person.

Has nothing to do with smoking, drinking, swearing etc. it's more about their personality.

My closest friend in Fresno is the lady that was my husband's Hospice Volunteer. We clicked immediately and continued the friendship after my husband died.

She has a heart of gold but her mouth is something else! I don't see her too often now because she's in pretty bad shape with fibromyalgia and everything else.

Did bring her to my house the other day to cool off. She's in an apt that wasn't so cool.

I get along well with all age groups, even teens, lol. My oldest grandson's friends all talk to me when I'm there and so are they.

Same with even the youngest ones.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2017
  3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Thing is too much drinking and/or swearing can definitely tell about a person's personality.

We just can't associate/be friends with smokers because of my wife's asthma. Besides that, we just don't like the smell.

4. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Most of the people that go to the Rifle & Pistol Range are men. I do ask (teasingly) them about "where are the ladies?" Some seem shocked to see my wife shooting.

At our boat Dry Storage, it's mostly young (much younger than us) couples and families. Actually, the only person most boat owners talk to is the Dock Master, who puts their boat on a Wash Rack or in the water. If some is cleaning their boat while we are, we will talk to them, but it's always us to start the conversation.

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

She doesn't drink and is the kindest most giving person I've met so her swearing isn't indicative of her personality.
    If I judged her because of that I'd be missing out on a wonderful person.
    She doesn't smoke now either ...nobody does in CA. Lol

Patsy Faye likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I don't understand why they'd be shocked...lots of women shoot and go to target practice. I've been.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Don't ask a Christian person about that. But, I think it could also depend on the swear words she uses. We just prefer not to be around people who swear period.

8. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'm willing to bet that there are people who never swear or smoke that are horrible people.

9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

We went to a rather large, "Members Only" BBQ at the Range once and there were only three ladies in attendance. There have been times when we've been there to shoot, afterwards we'd drive around and not see a single lady at the Range at all...........it was all men. We did speak to a couple once that was around our age. She was a retired Army Captain and he was a retired Army "full-bird" Colonel. They had just finished shooting. They were nice to speak to, but nothing happened after that.

10. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Probably is, but I wouldn't bet on it. :D

Funny, I did a Thread on Smoking on another forum and had a reply from a lady where she said "you could me missing out on a very friends by not allowing smokers into your life". Another member replied to her saying, "if they don't want to associate with smokers, that should be left up to them. It's there choice."

11. Chrissy Cross

Registered

12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

May not. I'm pretty good at winning things.

Anyway, we know the kind of folks we'd make friends with. We just have our preferences. If some don't like our "preferences", that's up to them. We sure won't change.

13. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I'd wager on this one.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, back to the Thread.:D

15. Chrissy Cross

Registered