Selling Apps

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by K E Gordon, Jun 28, 2016.

1. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Has anyone used those phone apps for selling things? I am talking about local apps like Close5, and Letitgo. I have had some tech problems with Close5 but people around here seem to be using it. It is affiliated with Ebay. I would love to sell some things on it. I tried the local yardsale site..and just got some no shows, So I am anxious to try other things.

Diane Lane likes this.
  2. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

The only free selling website is Craigslist. I'm currently using it to sell a few things. We used it in Colorado and sold some furniture. I used it here in '09 and sold a Police/Fire Scanner and water skis.

3. K E Gordon

Registered

No, Close5 is free to the best of my knowledge. I think Lettinggo may be as well. Vint I think the name is another one where you can sell clothes. I am talking about APPS not websites. Everyone knows about craigslist. There are also many yardsale sites as well that are part of facebook groups they are free as are freecycle sites which aren't in use as much anymore. I just wondered if anyone had success selling through APPS.

4. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I just listed some items on OfferUp and LetGo. I've never seen Close5, but will have to look into it. There's another called 5Miles that I recently downloaded. I have looked around on them, and it seemed that the two I used had the best quality items and most English speaking posters, so I thought I'd start off with those and see what happens. I have some other things to list, too, but I think I'll see how this goes, and whether there's any interest. There seems to be a group of scammers who go from one app to the other, glomming on to the new ones and inundating them with their junk. I had some success last year with the Facebook local sales groups, but they seem to have died out since then. I don't see many posts or interest in the items posted there now, so I thought I'd give the apps a try.

K E Gordon likes this.
  5. K E Gordon

Registered

Well, I think some people from my local community are using Close5. I noticed one woman selling a golf cart for a reasonable price, and another one was selling large quantities of household items. I was going to ask her how she was doing, but I did notice there were many comments on her site, so I presume she is selling something. Someone told me that they have had success using eCrater which I guess is an online site. I never heard of it before. She said she has had better luck on that site than either eBay or Bonanza. Last time I was selling things on the local yardsale group I got the usual people who wanted me to drop everything and run and meet them..I am going to put the caveat serious inquires only. If it was a real sale, I wouldn't mind..but I am not gonna drive 10 miles in the heat for a maybe.

6. Diane Lane

Registered

I will look into Close5. I co-market with a lot of other sellers on Twitter, and a few of the ones I retweet do sell on eCrater, but I've never asked them how their shops are doing. I'll have to pay more attention. I haven't had much action on Bonanza in a while, although before that, it was fairly steady. It seems once something starts picking up or evening out, Google switches things around, and the activity stops.

As far as the apps I started using recently, I've received a few inquiries on LetGo that appeared scammy, or at least from someone unfamiliar with how transactions usually proceed in English, which turned me off. On OfferUp, I've received inquiries on several items, but so far, they've been a waste of my time, lowball offers, and those unaware that some of us don't transact business at 10 p.m, and the like. I've been conversing with someone who is supposedly interested in purchasing my tablet, but their profile showed them in Michigan, although they said they're now in Texas, and they at first lowballed me, but I got the price up to a comfortable level. They then wanted to meet at 9 p.m. I said no, not after dark, to message me today, and didn't hear back, so we'll see what happens.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, we decided to take the things we had on Craigslist off. I had a good description on each ad of what we were selling and still got e-mails asking about the same description that I had put on the ad. All I could think to myself is, "can these people read???" Then, when I mentioned about meeting a buyer at a local Denny's Restaurant parking lot to sell an item, I got no answer back. My wife was "ok" with people coming to our old house (now sold) in Colorado, when we sold some things there in 2007 and coming to our apartment here, when we sold a few things in 2009, but now she doesn't want that. Just to much crime going on in this city. "Tell them to me us at Denny's down the street and tell them it's a cash sales only".

So, in a few months we will be in our apt. complex community garage sale and put the things that we had on Craigslist in that sale. If nothing sells, we have a back-up plan that doesn't include Craigslist. However, I'm going to look into those other selling areas.

8. Diane Lane

Registered

Ugh, @Cody Fousnaugh times sure have changed. I used to also use Craigslist, but it seems to be downright dangerous these days, although I think it's more about predators than the actual site. I have had some suspicious characters claiming to be interested in my items I have listed on the sales apps, but for some reason, they don't seem to want to meet in the daylight. There are a lot of lowballers, too, and if I wanted to give my items away, I would. I donate plenty already, and for what these people are looking to pay, it would be a lot easier to give the items away if I didn't need the money.

@K E Gordon I checked out Close5, and it seems to be a good one. I haven't listed anything on there yet, but I have plenty of things to list, so I might try something different on there, rather than listing the same items I have on the other apps. I have a few things listed on eBay right now, too, just to see where I get the bites. I saw you sold something yesterday, contratulations. Was that sale via Close5, or somewhere else?

9. Diane Lane

Registered

I'd really like to just win the lottery and donate everything I am currently selling. I was in the midst of watching the situation in Dallas unfolding and listening to the scanner late last night around midnight, when someone messaged me about something I'm selling. I'd spent 2 days going back and forth with another about price, details, etc., and these people are really irritating me. I think they all watch the pawn and bartering shows and think they can get something for nothing, or are just scammers.

10. Diane Lane

Registered

I was considering relisting at least some of the items I have listed on the two apps. I'm going to stop using the one, and will probably delete my items listed there, since it seems to be populated with scammers/spammers, but OfferUp seems to be a little bit better. I got a message from someone on there last night who claims to be interested in something small that I'm selling. I have to take a few additional pictures and post them today, then she'll decide for sure. She seems legitimate, because she asked if I wanted her number, but the transactions usually start out seeming legitimate, then go downhill fast. I might try listing a few items on Close5, to see if anyone shows interest in them.