Seed Bugs

Discussion in 'In the News' started by Sheldon Scott, Aug 23, 2015.

1. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

2. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I think I have seen bugs that looked like that; but thankfully, not is the huge swarms that they are having in California this year.
    It seems like bugs go through cycles where some years there are not a lot, and other years, they are just overwhelming.
    I remember that happening with stink-bugs (which those seed bugs actually resemble), and even sometimes, there will be an epidemic of ladybugs.
    Those "army worm" caterpillars are that way , too. Some years, you barely see any, and other years, they seem to be everywhere.
    Except for the june bugs, which show up each spring, and the mosquitoes, which are always horrible; we seem to be having a pretty decent year for bugs.
    Maybe it is because the western states had a warmer winter than usual, and not so many bugs died in the cold as usually happens that they are getting this swarming of seed bugs.

3. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We have here the so called COCOLISAP which literally means insect of coconut. It has no history and there is no known insecticide to fight it. That insect is a flying insect like a small bug that attacks the young fron of the coconut palm. And when the young frond would be eaten then there would be no mature fronds and the coconut tree dies. Thousands of hectares have been affected in the past years such that the department of agriculture went into panic mode. One coconut farmer had invented a compost that will give the trees enough vitamins to fight off the infestation. As of the last report, that antidote seemed to be working.