Secret Places Around St. Petersburg (1) Konevsky Monastery

Discussion in 'Travel & Vacation' started by Terry Page, Nov 19, 2015.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Konevsky monastery is situated on an island in Lake Ladoga the largest lake in Europe,
    Lisa organised a surprise trip there to celebrate my 70th birthday back in 2011, we started out in the early hours as it's a 2.5 hour two bus trip, about 120 miles from St.Petersburg, and we had to catch the only ferry of the day in the morning.
    Having got to the ferry boat station, we somehow got mixed up with a Russian tour group so had a free return trip (it was accidental honest ) :)

It was a perfect June day with clear blue skies and the lilac in full bloom, the island is a paradise really, with lots of forest walks some small beaches and of course the monastery, which dates to1393.

The day was very enjoyable, walking through fields of wild flowers, coming across tiny chapels and breaking the day with lunch in the monastery dining room.
    After another forest walk we made our way back to the boat, which returned to the mainland in early evening.
    We knew beforehand by the time the boat returned, the last local bus back to the main highway would have left, but we never worry about such details and anyway it's a tradition in Russia (though dying out now) that you find a man with a old Lada, who will take you most places for a few roubles; so on returning Lisa asked around the boat station car park and eventually found a pensioner with an equally elderly Lada prepared to take us, so we were whisked back to the main road about 5 miles away for a small sum.

More like this.................................than this ;)

lada1.jpg girls2.jpg

Having no idea of the timetable of buses back to town, all we could do was wait, and eventually one came along and we were back in Lisa's flat by midnight.
    It was one of the most idyllic days of my life, and I still remember it in great detail.
    It's a place rarely visited by foreign tourists because of its inaccessibility, so I was very grateful to Lisa for organising it.

The ferry trip
    2.jpg

3.JPG

4.JPG
    5.JPG

On the Island

8.jpg
    15.JPG
    7.JPG

Me having a nap (as usual) before the boat leaves for the mainland
    13.JPG

Last edited: Nov 19, 2015
  2. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Awesome photos.:)

3. Terry Page

Registered

Thanks Ike, a few more.

A small chapel built on a rock

11.JPG

The return Ferry
    12.JPG
    A photoshopped sepia photo I did
    1.jpg

4. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Great pics as usual...I think Ive seen some before or am I having a deja vu moment? :)

5. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Another amusing travelogue. Like before, the photos are certainly not from our place because of the clean surroundings. A ferry boat is terribly exciting when the water is calm and there is a good view to shoot. That chapel on the rock is very interesting although obviously just a few people would fit in inside the chapel. Or maybe it's not being used like a real chapel but sort of a novelty only.

What is Lada, by the way? I guess thats' the car in the picture.

Terry Page likes this.
  6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I think Lada's are cheap cars, they were all over Hungary when I lived there. That is what the average worker could afford...barely!

Terry Page likes this.
  7. Terry Page

Registered

Sorry Corie, I should have explained that a Lada is the iconic car of the Soviet times in Russia, as Chrissy said cheap and affordable for some.
    A way of earning some pocket money was to act as a minicab and take people to local places for a small amount of cash. The cars were ok but lagging behind in modern technology. We imported some into the UK in '80s and '90s because of their low price.

[​IMG]

Ike Willis likes this.
  8. Terry Page

Registered

Not deja vu , I shared some with you on hangouts ;)

9. Lara Moss

Lara Moss Supreme Member
    Registered

The chapel built on a rock reminds me of a sunday school song long ago, "The wise man built his house upon the rock". Your photos often trigger good memories. Thank you.

Terry Page likes this.