Secret Diary. Do Not Read

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Beth Gallagher, May 26, 2021.

1. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Wish I could send you some of our sunshine today.
    I don't know much about conventional cancer treatments.
    But my grandbabies are heading off the college. So, I understand that.
    Doesn't the radiation shrink tissues? So then there won't be so much pulling to cause pain? Will they let you try benfotiamine or something for the neuropathy?

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  2. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Thanks, Mary. Yes, sometimes radiation does shrink tissues, which only makes for more tightness and pulling. I'm not familiar with benfotiamine but I know some people take gabapentin for the nerve pain and burning. I'm trying to get through the healing with just stretching exercises and an occasional tylenol. I think my poor liver has been through enough in the past year so I try not to take medication.

3. Bibbi Wright

Bibbi Wright Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher Hey there Beth, everyone’s entitled to a ”boo hoo poor me” day. Keep your chin up you’ve come so far this year you can kick this crap’s ass from here to Timbuktu.

I read you on grandbabies growing up. Our oldest biological is now twelve and it seems like yesterday I was cuddling him in my arms. Our oldest adopted granddaughter is now nineteen and already a mom of three. It’s been a tough time for all not being able to be with our nearest and dearest.

Wish I could be there to hold your hand when you start radiation on Monday but as I can’t I’m sending you loads of big hugs across the miles.

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Thanks again, Bibbi. I wish you could be here to go with me to radiation, too! I appreciate the hugs more than you know.

5. Bibbi Wright

Registered

Thinking of you today @Beth Gallagher as you start the final leg of this battle. Sending all the hugs that I can come up with.

6. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

Sorry to hear of what you are going through @Beth Gallagher I don’t often get into other parts of the forum so I should read more of other sections.

Hope you feel this warm hug and best wishes all the way from Australia ..it’s spring here so it’s a little warmer than we’ve had for the past 5 months
    44003AC8-2EE1-4CE9-AB38-8F33130711FE.gif

Marie Mallery likes this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Hey there Kate and thanks so much. You definitely need to check the other parts of the forum and join in more often. Enjoy that spring weather and take care.

8. Bibbi Wright

Registered

Beth Gallagher likes this.
  9. Bibbi Wright

Registered

@Beth Gallagher Guess you're getting ready to leave for round three. Thinking of you as always. Oh, and you inspired me so I started a personal diary today

Hugs

Beth Gallagher and Frank Sanoica like this.
  10. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher .. prayers and hugs for you. My mamo
    is due tomorrow have been finding excuses not to go. But I will go ahead and go thinking of of you and Babs Hunt along with others who have not been as fortunate as myself. Take care we are here for you ❤.

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

@Bibbi Wright -- girl, you are my biggest cheerleader! I'm glad you started a diary thread and I look forward to sharing a part of your life so I'll be checking it out.

@Gloria Mitchell -- hey Gloria. I'm glad you're getting the dreaded mammogram done and I hope you're doing regular self-exams, too. Apparently the largest majority of breast cancers are found by women themselves (or their partner). I'll be thinking of you tomorrow and expecting a good report!

Today went well. I noticed the radiology techs put some kind of fabric thing on me for some of the rads so I asked what it was for. It is called a "bolus" and apparently is used to focus more of the rays directly on the skin. Since IBC presents in the skin, they are using the big guns on the surgical scar and surrounding skin. I will have a bolus every other day for 2 weeks.

Also when my regular rad treatments are done they will finish with "boosts" to the scar and surrounding area. They are being very aggressive with treatment and I hope this pays off when all is said and done. If not then I will always know that I gave it my best shot.

I had an earlier appointment today so on our way home we stopped and had a big breakfast. Now I'm doing laundry and watering the plants on the patio. It's a gorgeous day... mild temps and plenty of sunshine. I got some rotisserie chicken out of the freezer to make enchiladas later.

Some neighbors are having a really TALL pine tree taken down so I'm enjoying watching the tree climber waaaaaaay up there cutting the limbs. I am always fascinated by people who are experts at what they do.

Here's something we found quite nifty (we don't get out much, though o_O). In the MD Anderson parking garage, there are small-ish indicator lights mounted over each parking spot. Red means the space is occupied, green is an empty space, and blue for handicapped spaces. When driving in the dark garage looking for a space, you can just look down the row and see if there are any green lights before you turn in!! Isn't that the coolest thing? (It doesn't take much to impress me. :D)

12. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Today I snapped a couple of pictures of the parking garage indicator lights. :D

IMG_9797.jpg

IMG_2781.jpg

13. Bibbi Wright

Registered

14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Today was the first day of Radiation Week 3. I'm getting in the groove with the routine and so far the biggest annoyance is driving an hour to get there and another hour to get back home. After chatting with several women in the waiting area, I'm always surprised that people travel so far to get to MD Anderson. I suppose I should be grateful to live within daily driving distance but I'd rather gripe about traffic. :D

One young woman flies to Houston and stays in a hotel in the medical center during the week, then flies home for the weekend to be with her family. Another travels 5 hours by car from another area of Texas.

I will be so happy to be done with this, but I'm afraid I'm going to need physical therapy when radiation is done. I'm really having a problem with tightness and limited range of motion on my right side. The stretches/exercises I do at home don't seem to be helping much.

15. Marie Mallery

Marie Mallery Veteran Member
    Registered

Hoping time flies and your done with it all.

Beth Gallagher likes this.