Secret Diary. Do Not Read

Discussion in 'Personal Diaries' started by Beth Gallagher, May 26, 2021.

1. Beth Gallagher

Beth Gallagher Supreme Member
    Registered

Don, the numbness is mostly at the surgical site. That isn't so bothersome but feels weird. The real discomfort (burning and pain) is under my arm, in the armpit, and on the back of my upper arm. I understand that the lymph node surgery causes quite a bit of pain and discomfort in the axilla. It also appears that a "cord" is forming in the armpit so I need to be more aggressive with stretching, which I am unable to do until the drain is removed.

Also, the skin above the surgical wound is hypersensitive... even silky fabric sliding across that skin is extremely irritating. That is why the surgical bra is so uncomfortable; it has velcro front closure and really hurts.

Thanks for the recommendation but I won't be applying anything to the area unless the surgeon(s) approve it. I think most of this stuff just takes some time to resolve, but I'm worried that radiation will make it worse. :(

Faye Fox and Don Alaska like this.
  2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

Hugs to you Beth

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.
  3. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Thanks, Mary.

4. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I got the last surgical drain out yesterday so that was a relief. Everything seems to be healing well and the swelling is slowly going down. I went to a PT session that was a total waste of time, then found today on MyChart that I had been scheduled for those TWICE A WEEK FOR THE NEXT 6 WEEKS. Um... no. :mad: I called and canceled ALL of those.

In some ways I believe this is nothing but a money grab, and it annoys the hell out of me. I'm feeling better each day just doing my own thing, and I resent the push to set up more appointments for something I'm doing myself. Such a waste of time, driving an hour to get there, dealing with the medical center parking, waiting in the waiting room for 30-45 minutes because they are ALWAYS running behind schedule, dealing with the half-assed "therapist" who is pointing at diagrams on a sheet of paper, then the hour (or more) drive home in rush hour traffic. GRRRRRRRRRR I get more information from Youtube and that is free.

They are replacing a water line in our area today so the water is turned off. [​IMG]No advance notice to add to that aggravation.

5. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

Glad to hear things are progressing well Beth.

About the PT.... Would they consider referring you to a physical therapist closer to where you live?

6. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Thanks, Nancy.

I believe my physicians will only refer to PTs within the MD Anderson organization, and none of those locations are close. At this point I don't see the need for PT since I can do the range-of-motion exercises at home.

Faye Fox and Yvonne Smith like this.
  7. Beth Gallagher

Registered

Not much of any interest for my "diary" lately. I've been really down in the dumps with depression and wondering if I will ever feel normal again. The tightness and nerve pain are never-ending; everything just feels so awful. I have a followup with my medical oncologist Tuesday and a meeting with the radiation oncologist on Thursday.

To say that I dread the upcoming radiation is a huge understatement. As if I'm not miserable enough already, I'll have radiation side effects to deal with.

This is not how I pictured my "golden years." :(

8. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

So sorry Beth. Was wondering how you were doing. Once you really begin to heal(after radiation also) maybe you can begin to feel more like yourself. I had a bit of a meltdown myself this morning. I do not seem to be handling the old age thing very well. Often wonder if my hubby thinks I am daft. He is 7 seven years younger than me- I told him this morning- your times coming:D:D

Faye Fox and Beth Gallagher like this.
  9. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I am sorry that things are getting you down, @Beth Gallagher. I have admired how well you have coped with your misfortune so far. I pray that you will weather the storm of depression and come out of this entire thing healed.

10. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

11. Beth Gallagher

Registered

@Gloria Mitchell -- I totally get the meltdown thing; I have become quite good at it in the past several months. I have to admit that my total terror of "the C word" and dying have leveled off and I don't get hysterical so much these days. Hope you're feeling better.

@Don Alaska -- thanks, Don. I don't know that I have handled anything very well; I basically just show up and do as I'm told. :D Now that I'm feeling a bit better I'm not as down in the dumps.

@Shirley Martin -- thanks; I can always use a hug.

Today is a gorgeous day; the first hint of fall is in the air and it's cool and pleasant outside. I should buy some fresh mums to brighten up the backyard. I had some pretty ones last year but the Great Freeze of '21 wiped them out last February.

I have leftover rotisserie chicken to deal with so tomorrow I'll either make some chicken noodle soup or chicken green chile enchiladas. It's finally comfort food season!

Oh, and when the tropical storm pushed through Houston a couple of weeks ago, a section of our neighbor's wood fence blew down. I was looking out the upstairs window yesterday and saw him nailing pickets to runners and apparently he hadn't bothered to cement the posts. o_O It was pretty funny to watch but I'm easily amused.

12. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Don't you just love fall in the south? :)

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.
  13. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

I always loved spring in the South a bit more, though;).

Mary Stetler and Beth Gallagher like this.
  14. Beth Gallagher

Registered

I can't believe it's October... where the heck did this year go? I'm having another "boo hoo, poor me" day. It's raining and dreary and I feel cold even though it's 76 degrees in here.

I'm having that weird nerve pain in my armpit that seems to never go away; it is so distracting. I'm also having some strange "phantom limb" sensations which is disconcerting. I just feel beat down today, wanting to feel some improvement and scared that radiation is going to make things worse. Seems like the pain and swelling from the surgery migrates around and doesn't give me any peace. :(

I had made up my mind to get a Covid vaccine today but it was pouring rain all morning with flash flood warnings, so we didn't go. Houston Methodist Hospital allows walk-in vaccinations and they are convenient, but they only offer vaccines till noon on Fridays. Oh well.

We have two grandchildren who are seniors in high school this year. o_O How did that happen; seems like they were born a month ago!! I never feel as old as when I realize my grandbabies are growing up. Our youngest grandson is 5 this year and he will be graduating before I know it. I have missed seeing them and our kids so much.

15. Hedi Mitchell

Hedi Mitchell Supreme Member
    Registered

@Beth Gallagher - I hope you feel better soon. Dreary weather never helps. Yes, time continues to fly by us older folk real quick like:)

Don Alaska and Beth Gallagher like this.