Search Engines: Are There More Other Than Google?

Discussion in 'Gadgets & Tech Talk' started by Avigail David, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Neville Telen

Neville Telen Well-Known Member
    Registered

If you want to get the official party-line stance, the place to ask is the 'horse's mouth' (Government, TLAs, politicians, etc.). They will all say pretty much the same thing, and regurgitate the same 'facts', so if you want to search for how many children are harmed by vaccinations, the CDC is the last source to trust, as they will tell you exactly what they have been told to tell you.
    https://www.politifact.com/punditfa...dc-statistics-say-about-vaccine-illnesses-in/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4599698/
    https://www.nvic.org/NVIC-Vaccine-News/May-2011/In-Memoriam--Infant-Deaths---Vaccination.aspx
    https://academic.oup.com/cid/article/61/6/980/451431
    https://www.hrsa.gov/vaccine-compensation/data/index.html
    https://www.drugwatch.com/news/2018/02/05/vaccine-injury-claims-reached-decade-high-2017/
    https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4599698/
    Do your Google search again 'how many children die from vaccination' without the 'CDC', and you will have less propagandized results. I followed that search with one on 'vaccine injuries statistics'. There is plenty of data to mine if your search terms are creative enough....Google is too vast for even Google to lockdown all the backdoors!

Martin Alonzo likes this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

I couldn't care less who has the biggest market share or how much money they earn. I am looking for useful websites, not buying stock in a search engine company, and I find that Bing does the better job.

Martin Alonzo and Frank Sanoica like this.
  3. Neville Telen

Registered

It has less to do with market share and profit, than who can actually compete. Do the same exact search on Google, Startpage, DuckDuckGo, or any of the new boys on the block, and you will see their search results suck compared to Google. Only Bing seems comparable (sometimes). All the rest have come to the party too late, and cannot compete, and are unlikely ever to catch up to Google. In this race I would call it Google, Bing, and Yahoo....all the rest lag far behind.

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

That's what I do for a living and have for a long time now. DuckDuckGo is a meta-search engine, not a search engine. It uses the results from other search engines and does not employ its own bots. StartPage uses Google results without the personalization so, for my purposes, its results are superior to Google because I am not searching for things in my area. There aren't very many options in search engines anymore. Google, Bing, Yandex, and Baidu are about it. Of those four, Bing does the better job. Google used to do a much better job of it than it does now, and I can't wade through twenty pages of crap in order to find a few good results. If Google works for you, have at it. As I've said, I'm not buying stock in a search engine.

Neville Telen likes this.
  5. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Veteran Member
    Registered

I just tried GoodGopher.com as a search engine and it was pretty good.

6. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

If you're looking for conservative news, perhaps, but it's not an overall search engine. It searches a few dozen news and opinion sites.

Martin Alonzo likes this.
  7. Neville Telen

Registered

I have run across some other search engines (or whatever):
    www.searx.me
    www.seeks.org
    http://www.googol.warriordudimanche.net/
    https://search.disconnect.me/
    www.gigablast.com
    https://www.findx.com/
    http://www.torchtorsearch.com/

As for Google, I have found some disturbing info that shows it to be far worse than you hinted at.....those " twenty pages of crap in order to find a few good results" is only the tip of the iceberg. Google (along with Facebook, Twitter, etc.) is currently engaged in a widespread effort to censor conservatives, and if only half of what I have seen is true, it makes the SJW attack on free speech look benign by comparison.

Martin Alonzo and Ken Anderson like this.
  8. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

• Searx is a metasearch engine, which aggregates the results of other search engines.
    • I get a 404 on seeks.org
    • Googol just lets you search Google without the ads, similar to Startpage.
    • Disconnect Search redirects to DuckDuckGo.
    • Gigablast has been around for quite a while. It used to be a metasearch but I see that it does claim to have its own index now. I might try it for a while, but am fairly satisfied with Bing.
    • I'm not sure about Findx.com. I tried a couple of searches and did not get the anticipated results.
    • Torchtorsearch.com is intended for deep web searches, which I wouldn't be interested in for work.
    As for Google, yes. I didn't get into the politics of it here, but I have elsewhere. I expect there's some of that from Microsoft's Bing as well, but it doesn't render its results as useless.

Neville Telen and Martin Alonzo like this.
  9. Neville Telen

Registered

The link I gave for seeks.org would not work for me when clicked on it, so I double checked via Google which gave this one:
    http://seeks.org/
    If this don't work, you may only be able to reach it by googling it, then click on it from the search results page. There has been a few like that. No idea why. I've done some research on "the politics of it".....maybe let me know where "elsewhere" is, as I may have something to add.

10. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Veteran Member
    Registered

Neville Telen likes this.
  11. Neville Telen

Registered

Good to know. Some sites are location-blocked, and can only be reached using a socks proxy or VPN to mask your ISP address thingie.

Holly Saunders likes this.
  12. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I used Google for a long time until upgrading to the superior AOL SEARCH, which I use with my newly upgraded AOL Desktop Gold software.

AOL SEARCH is the best search motor I ever used.

Hal

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

It's powered by Bing.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Hal Pollner

Registered

IT IS? :eek:
    Hal

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

Yeah, there are only a few actual search engines anymore. Most all of them have quit trying to compete with Google and have gone to the much cheaper metasearch model, seeking business models in other areas. Fifteen years ago, there were so many promising search engines but, although most of them are still online, they don't maintain their own indexes anymore. A few years ago, it looked like Yahoo was going to get back in the competition but they had a change in leadership and that fell by the wayside.

16. Hal Pollner

Registered

Well I'll be...

H.P.

17. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

The results from AOL Search might be slightly different than that of Bing because they might order the results differently, but they are using Bing's index. For example, I prefer Startpage to Google, although Startpage uses Google's index, because Startpage doesn't order its results according to where I live. Of course, there are also paid ads mixed in.

18. Maggie Mae

Maggie Mae Active Member
    Registered

I have recently begun to use Duck Duck Go for my search engine.

The main reason is that it appears to not track everything I look up and turn it into an ad campaign.

I noticed some time ago that things I would search mainly through Google - while helpful - began to show up as ads other places I went including news sites, Facebook etc. and I was inundated with attempts to get me to purchase stuff that I had looked up with Google, Bing and Yahoo.

After switching to Duck Duck Go I no longer see ads for things I've searched.

Ken Anderson and Martin Alonzo like this.
  19. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

Either Duck-Duck-Go or Startpage are better choices than Google. I prefer the results that I get from Bing, but Bing does not protect your privacy so you'd still be subject to ad tracking.

20. Hal Pollner

Registered

If you're through with search Engines, try the new search Motors or search Turbines.
    Hal

21. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

I know Bing is the favorite of @Ken Anderson but it is a true virus--once it gets onto your computer, you cannot get it off. It embeds itself into your other search programs. A frequent search topic on the net is "How do I get rid of Bing?". It has infested Firefox and I cannot get rid of it. It has done this before, but I have always been able to remove it. Not this time. It doesn't even appear on the program list, but it is everywhere.

22. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

I'm sorry but that's nonsense. It's a search engine and most search engines will prompt you to make them your default search. All browsers have a simple way to change that, and it can usually be done simply be using another search engine that you'd rather have as your default and answering in the affirmation to its prompt.

Actually, your problem might be that you are using a Microsoft OS. Given that Bing is a Microsoft search engine, Microsoft probably includes it as its default search engine and may have other ways to encourage its use. So yeah, perhaps it can be more problematic for those using Windows. When I get home, I'll start up my Windows machine and see if things are different with Windows.

I will say, however, that although I am using a Mac, I can use whatever search engine or browser I want, and switch my choices whenever I want to.

23. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

After doing some research, I see that it's not exactly nonsense. I don't know that it's necessarily Bing that's doing it, however, and I doubt that it is. As I mentioned earlier, since Bing is a Microsoft product, Microsoft very likely has come up with ways to encourage its use on Windows machines.

However, the bigger problem seems to be that there are malware programs that will install Bing as the default search engine on computers whose owners did not willingly choose to do so. I haven't yet found out why the malware is installing Bing as opposed to some other search engine, but my guess would be that the third-party malware creators are using these installations to earn Bing Reward points for themselves. Switching your search to Duck-Duck-Go or Yandex wouldn't give them a payoff.

There are also apps that will install Bing on your iPhone or tablet, and they might include malware as well. When I use Bing on my iPhone or Kindle, I get even more points for my searches than I do on a computer, probably because they are encouraging people to use Bing. However, if I am going to do a search on Kindle or my iPhone, I do it from a browser.

Bing Rewards can be cashed in for gift cards for Amazon and a bunch of other places. I earn quite a few Amazon gift cards just on what I do, so I would imagine that a malware creator could do quite well for himself if he had hundreds or thousands of other computers unwillingly earning points for him.

That would also explain the difficulty in getting rid of it as your default. I haven't used Windows much lately but I don't remember it being particularly difficult to change my default search engine. However, if a separate malware program was responsible for making Bing the default search engine, simply switching it back to Google wouldn't solve the problem since the malware program would still be in place.

I have a Mac, so I don't get viruses or malware.

I doubt that Microsoft (Bing) is doing it, but it seems like it would be in their best interests to come a security system that doesn't allow it to happen, or at least a simple fix for it.

This is the last day of my workweek so I have to get some work done but I'll see if I can figure something out this weekend.

24. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Greeter
    Moderator Registered

My wife tells me that her Bing account has been suspended twice, requiring her to prove that it was actually her doing the searches. I haven't had to do that but, although we both work for the same directory, we work differently. She does all of her searches at once, and then writes the site descriptions and so on, while I do mine one at a time, so my searches are more spread out while hers are all at once. This might be because they are getting automated searches connected to a Bing Rewards account.

25. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

It isn't nonsense, @Ken Anderson. I finally got rid of it, but it took me several hours to do it. The folks on the net and in the communities all had solutions, but most of them didn't work as it is apparently masking itself in some way. It doesn't show up in any program lists, and when you search it from the command prompt, it often isn't there. I found it hidden in some Microsoft files and removed it, then I had to remove it from the two or three search engines as it kept making it the homepage even though it was supposedly removed from the engines and the computer. It has done this before, but it has never been this difficult to remove. I am guessing the programmers at MS are getting more devious since so many people are trying to avoid their engine. It seems to reinsert itself every time a search engine program updates.