Search Engine Optimization

Discussion in 'Self Employment' started by Ken Anderson, May 19, 2019.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If everything goes well, I'll be getting an SEO job. This is something that my wife and I used to do for a living, and which she was involved with before I was. She had her own company doing web design and search engine optimization before they had settled on a name for it. Lately, we haven't been soliciting SEO jobs because there's so much competition now, and quick results involve spending a bunch of money for paid advertising, which is not what we do, at least not as the core of an SEO campaign. Still, every now and then, we get a referral from someone we know, or who we have worked for before. A couple of years ago, we had a sign company whose business had dropped due to competition, so we had a contract for a thousand dollars a month for about six months. Now, we've been referred to a new law practice. I hope we get that one because it's a lot easier to show results for a new site than for one that has been online for a long time.

There have been some changes in SEO, largely as to what works or doesn't work for the various search engines, but search engine algorithms have always been in a state of flux. Strong content is still the backbone of doing well online. People who say that it has changed entirely are referring to the fact that the companies that are dominating the market are the ones who are willing to spend buckets of money on paid advertising every month. There's a place for that, but I prefer to work for people who want their site to show up in the search engine results pages and are patient enough to allow them to rise in their ranking in the SERPs naturally, without paying Google or Bing to advertise their site at the top of the results. Once you can achieve that, it's easier to stay near the top, and a whole lot cheaper.

This probably doesn't make sense to most of you but the extra money will come in handy, and I trust that most of you can identify with that.

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Coincidentally, at my hourly job, I have been working in the Online Advertising & Marketing categories, which includes search engine optimization.

Joe Riley and Bobby Cole like this.
  3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I thought that if you were willing to grease some palms with some cash that your web address would pop right to the top.