School Subjects

Discussion in 'Education & Learning' started by Patsy Faye, Dec 17, 2016.

1. Janice Martin

Janice Martin Well-Known Member
    Registered

My favorite was English- no surprise there :)
    I hated math and gym (now known as P.E.) I never managed to get through a full year of math in high school, but I ended up earning the required credit by taking/passing the final exam.

Patsy Faye and Frank Sanoica like this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Janice Martin
    Math is a subject elusive to many. Arithmetic, as used daily, is certainly a necessity. The cognitive concepts of geometry are beyond the scope of many folks ability to absorb.

Math in high school was, for me, easy. Yet, at higher levels of education, the new concepts like those of Calculus fundamentals, left me out in the cold. Inexplicably, many years later, teaching Senior High School students Calculus, the many years earlier "missing puzzle parts" seemed to fall into place easily. Maybe maturation of the individual placed new understanding of years-earlier concepts.
    Frank

3. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

Frank, I think if you have an interesting teacher, you will attain an interest in the subject
    How that subject is portrayed and demonstrated is so important
    That's my excuse anyway :p

@Frank Sanoica

4. Janice Martin

Registered

I'm sure you've heard this before, but what exactly is the point of it? Seems to me unless a student is going into some kind of specialized field, there's no practical use for higher-level math.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  5. Janice Martin

Registered

I think you summed up a large part of it. I went though a half-year of math in HS- combination of algebra, geometry, and the so-called new math- and was surprised to find I had an 88 average. The teacher wasn' t one of those 'gotta make learning fun!' types, but he discussed the concepts, worked them out on the blackboard, etc.
    In contrast, an elementary school teacher routinely gave us either worksheets or pages in a textbook- 50 problems or so at a time, with nothing else on the pages, and wrote the word 'DO!' on the board. Maybe that's when I started approaching the subject similar to how some little kids approach broccoli: 'EWW, get that stuff out of here, feed it to the dog!!'

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Veteran Member
    Registered

Yep - from my own experience its true

Janice Martin likes this.
  7. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

@Janice Martin
    Pretty much true, but those "specialized" fields are widely dispersed; nearly any technical field requires math above the level of, say, Algebra I. Certain very practical applications and situations involving objects in motion relative to each other, pose problems not easily solved without higher math abilities.
    I was struggling with Calculus in Electronics Technical College which I mentioned to my Dentist. He remarked that he always wondered why he had to learn Calculus, when in all those years of practice, he never used any of it.

Go figure!
    Frank