School Stressed

Discussion in 'Not Sure Where it Goes' started by Bobby Cole, Nov 21, 2017.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Sitting in a doctor's office is generally a little less than entertaining unless of course, you are me.
    It is a time for mental stimulation and speculation concerning heretofore unquestioned items that people reluctantly peruse for they would indeed be looked upon as the opposite of intelligent.

Such was the occasion today when I made my office visit pastime a little more adventurous.
    It went like this:
    Doctors go to medical school. They do NOT go to college nor university but to medical "school".
    The same with lawyers. They also go to law school.
    They both go to school for years and years just to be called a doctor or a lawyer but even though they hold some kind of prestigious title they can only "practice" medicine or law.
    The one main difference in the two is that obviously lawyers learn more and are more proficient after they graduate from school. Lawyers immediately have clients, doctors have patients which I believe the reason one is called that is because of the long waits in the doctor's waiting room while the doctor is busy "practicing" his or her art on someone else.

Here is the crux of the matter. Would it not be better if aspiring doctors and lawyers went to a college like barbers do? Barbers go to barber college which gives them the full prestige of having a full fledged shop or salon in which customers and clients come to get whatever done. It is not called a practice because barbers go to college and not to school and by the time they graduate they know what they are doing.
    Plus, there does seem to be the added advantage seeing those who went to college because they charge much less than those who simply went to school for umpteen years.

Which, brings up the other matter of proficiency. If a person spends 15 years going through the first 12 years of school, there is something wrong indeed. Some doctors keep going to school for an additional 10 or so years which makes me wonder if that educational opportunity is only a 4 year school which some decided to play hooky most of the time therefore extending their stay.

Hmm.....why is that paper certificate on the wall called a sheepskin? Why are the Reader's Digests all dated before 1980? Why are the pictures of the African tribe in National Geographic torn out? Why are the receptionists at the desk so overweight? Do tight drawers really limit testosterone levels?

Welcome to my world.............................

2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Ha ha Bobby - hope you slept well :p

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm trying to figure out why quite a few auto workers make more money than a young doctor setting up a practice.

Joe Riley and Bobby Cole like this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

They both work on bodies....

Bobby Cole and Missy Lee like this.
  5. Missy Lee

Missy Lee Veteran Member
    Registered

Joe....good one ha ha ha

6. Harry Havens

Harry Havens Veteran Member
    Registered

Unless something has changed, in the U.S. medical schools only accept individuals with Bachelor's Degrees. I have a granddaughter that is a biomedical engineer major, hoping to be an orthopedic surgeon someday.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  7. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

You answered it all by yourself @Missy Lee. :) Auto workers do not go to work and practice what they are doing.

8. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

9. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Oh, and I forgot to mention..............welcome back @Missy Lee!

Joe Riley likes this.