Saving On Car Maintenance

Discussion in 'Money & Finances' started by Corie Henson, Sep 22, 2016.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

Our 2 cars are 3 years old but we still bring them to the dealer's workshop for the regular maintenance (which is very expensive compared to ordinary car shops). In the last maintenance check, the brake pads were replaced and we were shocked at the cost of about $400 for the front brakes only. My husband's cousin advised us to have mechanical problems be fixed in the ordinary shop and just let the dealer shop do the engine. Well, we had visited an ordinary car maintenance shop and the cost of brakes was only 1/3 of that charged us by the dealer shop.

Yvonne Smith and K E Gordon like this.
  2. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Right, dealerships charge about two times as much as regular mechanics on average. That is really not the place to get an work done on your vehicle unless you are taking it in for the free maintenance checks that some types come with a vehicle, or it needs something that only the dealer can provide. When I had my old car, It was a Toyota that had a lot of maintenane checks throughout the life of the vehicle so I still took it into the dealer periodically for checks on the vehicle..but I rarely paid them to do any work.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Because of the Dealer's high labor/parts costs, we only go there for oil changes. We get the Bulk Oil Change that takes care of three changes. Cheaper than three individual changes.

Pretty much any other maintenance or repair we get done at Goodyear or Midas. We have both a Goodyear and Midas credit card.

I check/change the Air Filter on both of our vehicles and add fluids when needed.