San Andreas Fault Under Extreme Stress, Scientists Warn

Discussion in 'Science & Nature' started by Yvonne Smith, May 5, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The LA Times has printed a warning issued by the top earthquake scientists , stating that the San Andreas fault line is "locked, loaded, and ready to roll" at any time. According to the report, the Pacific plate moves northwest away from the North American plate, and usually earthquakes help to relieve that stress that builds up as the plates move.
    The last large earthquake along the San Andreas fault line was in the 1800's, and even longer for the southern parts of the faultline. According to the quake scientists, this is an indication that California could have a very large earthquake at any time.
    Should this happen, there could possibly be repercussions all the way up the Cascade mountain range on the West Coast. If that happened, then both Washington and Oregon could have quakes, or possibly even more volcanic eruptions.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-san-andreas-fault-earthquake-20160504-story.html

Joe Riley likes this.
  2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I've been in a few natural disasters, and earthquakes are not one I'd want to face. Blizzards are my favorite form of severe natural occurrence, but that's about it. I like that it's possible to prepare for a blizzard (not that I face them these days here in South East Texas.) I'm glad I've never encountered a tornado, although one did hit the house next door before I moved here. I hope to never go through a direct hit with a hurricane again. Wildfires are another scenario I can live without. It seems each area has its own form of natural disaster, and I guess those who live along the faults get used to living with the idea that a quake could happen, but I'd find it terrifying.

3. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Here in Iowa we see our share of tornados and a few blizzards. My home town is on a bend of the Mississippi river. It's always been said tornados won't hit my town because we're on a bend of the river, and one never has. Why that should make a difference, no one has been able to explain sensibly. Well, it doesn't make a difference, it seems. On June 24, 2013 a tornado went from the south end to the north, through the west side of town. Killed one man. So much for that old belief.
    Remains of a church on the north side of town.
    0f06704d0bb9b3698ed70996c50f7da4.jpg

Joe Riley and Diane Lane like this.
  4. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Yes, I've been seeing warnings for southern CA. All last week. Just to be prepared to have enough water and non perishable food supplies for about 3 days...just in case.

Some other precautions but I forgot what they were....the usual though for an earthquake.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

We've been thru some earthquakes, while living in So. California. Definitely got "shook up". My first one was when I was in the Navy in San Diego and staying at the downtown Armed Forces YMCA for a weekend. The shaking woke me up, I looked under the bed and then jumped out of bed. It was short in shaking, but still. Another time, was in the restroom of a company I worked for. Was "sitting" when one hit. Scared the crap out of me. I got out of the restroom pretty quickly and a lot of my co-workers starting laughing hilariously........I joined them! Another time, this was during the Northridge Earthquake, was spending the night with a girlfriend and -------- (you know what the lines mean) when one hit. Immediately jumped out of bed and got into a doorway. We seemed to be more laughing than scared.

While we were living south of Denver, Colorado, we experienced some pretty bad blizzards, snowstorms, tornado warnings and thunderstorms. Have photos and video of it all.

Since living here, early 2009, in northeastern Florida, we've been thru three Tropical Storms with wind and rain. Next, will be this coming Friday with part of Hurricane Mathews showing it's face at us. It could be pretty bad at the beach, but we live inland some 20 plus miles.

7. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Wow @Cody Fousnaugh ....you rocked that girl's world! :)

Hope Matthew gets downgraded or fizzles out before it hits Florida. Know many forumers in Florida.

I've felt about 2-3 in Fresno...all about a 5 mag.

8. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Where next?
    [​IMG]

Sheldon Scott and Ike Willis like this.
  9. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

As per Murhpy's Law - if something can go wrong, it will. And we are like awaiting the Big One in California, in Japan, and even over here in what we call Marikina Valley fault line.

That's is pretty scary - San Andreas fault line is "locked, loaded, and ready to roll" at any time. And since earthquakes cannot be predicted the we are like hostages waiting when to be released... or not in our lifetime. Nevertheless, that thought of ready to roll surely have created fear in us simply because there is nothing we can do about it.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  10. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Just think, when the biggie goes off along the San Andreas fault, it could set off the lava dome in Yellowstone park. As if that wouldn't be awesome enough, what if it happened during a winters blizzard? WOWSER!:eek:

11. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Yea Ike and a swarm of tornados through the Midwest and hurricanes in the gulf and along the east coast. We're all doomed.

Ike Willis likes this.