Salmon

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Frank Sanoica, Jul 14, 2016.

1. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Do you pick out the bones and discard them, or eat them? They are quite easily chewed, if you have never done that. Lots of Calcium. Disgusting thought? Maybe, yeah.

We buy Salmon in three different sizes, the big cans I think all have skin & bones, about 15 oz. size, cans half that size which have much less, but some, and 5 oz. cans which are boneless and skinless. Both the latter two are $1.00 a can at our 99-Cent store. 15 oz. depends on type of Salmon, but rarely is as low as $2.00.

I have always loved Salmon, especially when they offer it at the various buffets: huge fish, take all you like. My wife thinks the amount I eat would entail 4 or 5 "tabs" ordered at a typical restaurant!

Frank

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  2. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

For canned fish, whether salmon or sardines, we eat everything including the bones and scales (although I try to take off the scales in sardines).In the olden days, the canned sardines is the usual fare of poor families and on occasions, they buy canned salmon. The usual cooking is saute with garlic and onions to neutralize the fishy odor and taste. As extenders, they add greens like young leaves of sweet potato or wild spinach.

But for us, my mother would saute the salmon with garlic and add raw onions as garnishing. We usually eat that with rice for breakfast. My father's style is to just add drops of lemon on the canned salmon and eat it with bread.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't like canned salmon but love salmon. I'll eat bones in sardines.

4. Frank Sanoica

Registered

@Chrissy Page As a kid, my Mother often bought smoked fish displayed at our Mom & Pop "Corner Store", there was one of these every half-mile or so, "chain stores" a new thing then. Anyhow, this fish was in a flat wooden crate, upraised in the back, sitting on the counter, to display the fish. They were skinny and long, about a foot or so (Pickerel?) and were not refrigerated, and did not spoil! They were delicious for lunch, as I seem to recollect my Dad did not care for them. I don't recall them having bones. They were tasty and delicious!
    Frank

5. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I go through a thing with sardines and kippers in that I lose interest in them for a couple of years at a time, and then go back to liking them again. I am eating them again now. Yes, I eat the bones too, but I try to scrape off as much of the scaly stuff on the outside as I can. It just tastes like the rest of the sardine, but it grosses me out when I look at it, so I let my cat eat that. I don't care much for canned salmon by itself, but if it's used in the preparation of some other meal, I probably wouldn't notice that it had been canned. I love smoked salmon, and pick that up often, along with smoked trout when they have it. I don't notice a lot of bones but yeah, I think I'd eat them. It wouldn't gross me out anyhow.

Frank Sanoica and Chrissy Cross like this.
  6. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

I simply can't tolerate canned salmon any longer. Rarely I'll buy one of those new little flat packets of it (no bones) but when I have to eat the stuff, it's most likely going to be a fillet. When I *did* buy it occasionally over the years, I could never bring myself to eat the bones even though I kept hearing it was safe to do so.

7. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

Whether salmon, mackerel, or sardines, we eat everything that's in the can. Sometimes I'll buy smoked salmon in those small flat cans that are boneless and skinless but usually we get the larger cans.

Joe Riley likes this.
  8. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

I do liked all the fish that's smoked but don't eat it too much because of sodium. I'm really sensitive to sodium.

Which is probably a good thing because it keeps me away from processed food. I will always but the no salt added tuna or whatever if given the choice.

9. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

We buy canned salmon on sale at CVS all the time till I found the Bumble Bee pouches of salmon that's skinless and boneless. We love to eat salmon with a mixture of brown and white rice with barley. We add lemon and soy sauce to spice it up a bit with a touch of Tabasco and eat the salmon with rice. [​IMG] image is from http://www.efordcommissary.com/Chic...-Boneless-Pink-Salmon-in-Pouch-5-oz_p_32.html
    Ponzu is a sauce that you can buy already made of lemon juice and soy sauce. [​IMG]
    image is from http://groomedbymichelleharvey.com/3-quick-easy-tasty-recipes/.

We make our own ponzu from the little lemons filled with lemon juice and add our Tabasco and soy sauce.

10. Frank Sanoica

Registered

Eating the bones is a panacea for me, as I always suspected the salmon bone which lodged up the gum of one of my molars caused the excruciatingly
    scary experience I had with an oral surgeon at age 19. For years after that, I avoided Salmon. Longed for "boneless" fish offerings, and finally, now, I can eat my fill of baked fish at the buffets. Occasionally I find a tiny bone, of no consequence.

11. Julie Stewart

Julie Stewart Veteran Member
    Registered

I eat the lot - mash it all up. My favourite tinned fish are sardines - I love mashed-up tinned sardines on toast.

Sheldon Scott likes this.
  12. Von Jones

Von Jones Supreme Member
    Registered

I always thought that the bones in canned fish were to be removed and that's what I have always done. I don't care too much for salmon though I do like sardines, mackerel and tuna.

Last edited: Jul 16, 2016
    Sheldon Scott likes this.
  13. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I thought you weren't to eat fish bones. I have been picking out the salmon bones that are in the can all this time.

14. Frank Sanoica

Registered

The bones are actually very well-cooked and sort of soft, not crunchy. Consistency of perhaps chewing on a slightly dampened saltine cracker. They are very high in calcium, actually quite nutritious, though there is very little bone compared to meat. Less likeable, to me, is the dark gray skin sometimes present. Talking Salmon, here. Frank

15. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

My cats enjoy the dark gray skin because they get that part. It actually doesn't taste any different than the rest of it, but it looks disgusting and that's enough for me.