Sale Is Over

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Don Alaska, May 30, 2022.

1. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Our annual plant sale is over, so now on to our own gardens and greenhouses. Most of the larger greenhouse is already planted in tomatoes and cucumbers, so peppers need to be added. The smaller greenhouse has been a holding area for the sale, so it has to be plated almost in its entirety. I will handle the greenhouse, and my wife will do much of the outside planting, as I don't get up and down as well as I once did. I have to put the middlebuster on the tractor to make planting potatoes a breeze, and start the setup of the high and low tunnels we use to magnify our growing season. Sunny and clear, so things will warm up rapidly.

2. Mary Stetler

Mary Stetler Veteran Member
    Registered

So you sell plants at the start of the season? Every year I think I will do that but then....
    My neighbor down the way has turned that into a real good, all season business with produce that people are willing to drive a ways to get. They have eggs and put in a nice clear door refrigerator too.
    Still able to use a good conscience box for the money.

Don Alaska likes this.
  3. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

We started as market gardeners but found after we had 6 kids, that we could eat almost everything we could produce. We then started selling our extra plants that we had started inside but didn't have room for. That business took off (by our standards) and now we sell several thousand dollars worth of plants every spring. It helps augment our retirement income and pays for everything we need for our home gardens and greenhouses.

Mary Stetler and Nancy Hart like this.