Sailing

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Richard Paradon, Feb 19, 2015.

1. Richard Paradon

Richard Paradon Supreme Member
    Registered

Sailing One of the things I really enjoy doing is sailing. One of my more affluent friends has a 42 foot sail boat and he has taken me out about three times now. I do not know a lot about boats but sailing is not only fun but a good way to lose some weight. It takes about 30 or 40 minutes to get it ready to leave the marina, and since I am going for a free ride, I get to do a lot of the prep work such as removing the main sail beam cover, tying up ropes - that is not too physically hard but mentally, a super challenge trying to remember not only what knot to tie,but how to tie it. I am getting better at it, but no way could I call myself a sailor.

We will use the motor to get out of the marina and then look for choppy waves or clouds to find where the wind is. Once the Captain is satisfied, the we remove the sail cover and untie a bunch of knots and crank the sail up. Then more knot tying and we are on our way. If there a lot of wind, there are two more sails that we hoist up and than that little boat really moves!

After spending all day sailing to different little islands, we start the journey back. When we run out of wind, the sails come down and the motor takes over until we are docked. Then 1st mate (actually last mate would be more accurate) starts to undo what we did to get the boat ready. Totally exhausting but well worth it.

Then it is off to a restaurant for some food and beer!

[​IMG]
    THE BOAT

[​IMG]
    NOT EXACTLY CAPT. RICHARD

Ken Anderson likes this.