Running Out Of Water

Discussion in 'Weather & Natural Disasters' started by Craig Wilson, Dec 16, 2019.

1. Craig Wilson

Craig Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

This is an example of the vagaries and fickleness, yet selfishness of Mother Mature. Some areas of our state had huge rain falls the past week.. as much as 300mm and turned their parched land into a wetland while others had so little they are still in a crippling dry spell. The lucky ones are cattle farmer Jim O'Brien and Merino stud owner George Falkiner whose properties are now under water and their livestock are drinking water instead of dust. While further inland are the unlucky ones such as Tanya Holmes who has a measly 20mm fall on her Bathurst property. Tanya is philosophical tho.. as many on the land are.
    "Unfortunately we don't even have a puddle in our dam; the ground's dry. "Some people have flooded paddocks and other people, 10 to 15 kilometres from them, get nothing," she said.
    "You get to a point where you just understand that's how it is and there's not much you can do about it."

Patsy Faye likes this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Its beyond me too - so much flooding over here, businesses and houses affected - how the people cope with all this is, I just
    don't know. Life's hard enough but this added burden is so devastating, especially when they have been hit so many times before.
    I'm finding it hard to cope with just being a witness to it :(

Craig Wilson likes this.
  3. Craig Wilson

Registered

I saw coverage of these devastating UK floods Patsy. Thankfully you have not been impacted. I heard several interviews from people saying that these extreme weather events in your part of the world used to be so infrequent.. now almost every year. Is this so and do you put it down to climate change.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  4. Patsy Faye

Registered

I have to - we 'never' had humidity over here, summers were very pleasant even the summer of 76 the hottest at the time
    with water shortages - was fine for us (no humidity)

Now - I dread the summer due to the humidity which impacts my health issues :(

Craig Wilson likes this.
  5. Craig Wilson

Registered

I was in your fair city that summer. Reminded us young Aussies of home. The only problem was finding places to cool down. Pools were at a premium in London. I recall we went to London Zoo one day and cooled down in a wading pool.. if memory serves. Or was it the Serpentine in Hyde Park. My memory aint what it was. I too hate humidity with a passion Patsy. Sydney used to boast a temperate climate until the past five years. Our summers since have become hotter and stickier. @Patsy Faye.

Patsy Faye likes this.
  6. Patsy Faye

Registered

Yea, remember it well and even though 'hot' you could cool down a lot easier than today :rolleyes:

7. Craig Wilson

Registered

@Patsy Faye. Our water catchments have played catchup since our devastating summer and are now at a very healthy 87% capacity. This is a record for at least the past decade. Water restrictions will be lifted shortly and I will be once again able to hose or sprinkle my lawns. That Sydney CBD Grey Water project I posted about being held up when we most needed it due to bureaucratic red tape is now is up and running. So the long and the short is my beautiful city of Sydney is no longer in danger of running dry.

Last edited: Apr 3, 2020
  8. Patsy Faye

Registered

What about the impact of the fires, is progress being made there ?
    We're not getting any other news - just virus news all the time :rolleyes:

@Craig Swanson

Micki Pembroke likes this.
  9. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

Your so right Patsy, previous disasters are so prematurely dumped when a new one comes knocking. I was thinking just the other day, where are the updates from Australia, got pushed aside, don't agree with that, still is very important.

Patsy Faye and Craig Wilson like this.
  10. Craig Wilson

Registered

@Patsy Faye and @Micki Pembroke. Your continued concern about my country is touching. Only last week there was a story about the "amazing regeneration" of our forests. Below is the proof.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG][​IMG]

11. Micki Pembroke

Micki Pembroke Veteran Member
    Registered

@Craig Swanson That is TOTALLY AWESOME. Thanks for the pictures. Brightened my day, that life is growing. :):):).

Craig Wilson and Patsy Faye like this.
  12. Craig Wilson

Registered

[​IMG] sure is Micki.

Micki Pembroke likes this.
  13. Patsy Faye

Registered

Oh my goodness, I'm so emotional to see those pictures - thank you so much - beautiful sight
    @Craig Swanson

Micki Pembroke and Craig Wilson like this.
  14. Craig Wilson

Registered

Thank you Patsy.