Roundup

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Martin Alonzo, Oct 14, 2015.

1. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

This is a herbicide which has been over used and now the World Health is threatened. Some countries have band it but it sneaks in with a different name.

A recent World Health Organization study had researchers studying the effects of herbicide glyphosate. Lead author of the study, Aaron Blair, recently said,"There was sufficient evidence in animals, limited evidence in humans and strong supporting evidence showing DNA mutations and damaged chromosomes." When you damage the chromosomes you invite cancer.

The published report finds that the popular herbicide may contribute to non- hodgkins lymphoma.
    Here is where you can find the study

http://www.iarc.fr/en/media-centre/iarcnews/pdf/MonographVolume112.pdf

2. Sheldon Scott

Sheldon Scott Supreme Member
    Registered

If you're eating GMO food you are likely eating roundup. It's sprayed on the crops, absorbed into them and then we eat them or feed them to animals which we eat.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

4. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Roundup, made by Monsanto, the good folks who brought us GMO foods.

5. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

People here are a lot more likely to use Roundup or other pesticides than back home. I think most of the main culprits are banned in Massachusetts. I had never heard of Sevin Dust when a former client mentioned it for flea prevention. I have so many health issues that I try to steer clear of toxic products, but sometimes it's impossible. I'm having the worst time with the weeds. Using the vinegar, hot water and dish soap does help with some of them, but not others.

6. Ken Anderson

We don't use any poisons, either on our crops or on our cats. As it turns out, a healthy cat has a built-in safeguard against such things as fleas. We've been feeding our cats premium foods for twelve years now, and they don't get fleas. Prior to that, we had some terrible flea problems. I wish I could say that I have found such an effective system for dealing with bugs eating our crops. I have been working on it, and know that there are plants that can be grown together for maximum effectiveness against insect predation, but I don't have that worked out yet. So-called natural insecticides don't seem to be particularly effective.

Diane Lane likes this.
  7. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I probably can't afford it, but what kind of cat food are you feeding the kitties, @Ken Anderson? I feed my 3 plus at least 3 strays, and also some possums and other critters, so it gets pretty expensive.

8. Ken Anderson

My response can be found in a new thread, entitled Pet Nutrition.

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

We have a Monsanto plant a couple miles south of my town. I worked there as a security guard for awhile. Hated it.

Diane Lane likes this.
  10. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

We have stopped using insecticides in our garden a long time ago and we only spray the plants when the infestation is excessive. Like last year when our mango tree was attacked by termites, we had to spray the big branches to avert the spread of the termites. With herbicides, it is not common here and I haven't seen one yet although I have heard some farmers have been using it.

That is the problem with GMO versus the organic. We do not know anymore what we are buying in the market. You ask the vendor and naturally they don't know either if they are selling GMO products or organic. I have no idea how the department of agriculture could check on this or maybe it is the Food and Drug Agency.

11. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Supreme Member
    Registered

GMO is [genetically modified organism] This means the genes of one thing is forced into another As far as BT corn they put in a gene so that the corn makes its own insecticide which at first thought it is good insects can not eat the plant or corn. It also means that the corn you eat is an insecticide it would be like eating corn flakes that have been spread with RAID and even stronger. The round up ready plants are plants that you can spray with round up and it does not kill it now the World Health Organization says this causes cancer. The companies that sell this junk are so strong and powerful that they make laws that you are not allowed to know if it is in your food. They are trying to stop companies from marking their food as non GMO. If they gave you a choice between GMO and non GMO the answer is simple but they don't want you to have a choice. This is simply criminal.

Sheldon Scott likes this.