Roots Remake

Discussion in 'History & Geography' started by K E Gordon, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

The book was a mixture of fact and fiction but, according to the story, his name was Kunta Kinte.

-- Wikipedia

Like Yvonne, I am perplexed by this one.

2. Hal Pollner

Hal Pollner Veteran Member
    Registered

It was stated to be undeterminable.

H.P.

3. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

If the statement’s meaning is indeterminable then it cannot be read without confusion and confusion is the very root of nearly all misunderstanding. There must have been some type of motivation but if everything lacks definition then even the motivation is lost.
    I do like to take a small bit of time to think things thoroughly through and maybe, even though there is no viable explanation of it via yourself as the writer, (referencing “weeds”) maybe I can shed some light on it.

There are times when we read a book, see a movie or even have a conversation that there are so many twists and turns to the subject at hand that it may seem as though we’re lost or in a colloquial term, in the weeds.
    Perhaps such is your plight for even though I have yet to meet someone who didn’t understand the mini-series called Roots, that doesn’t mean that there aren’t any.
    If the term weeds is a way of saying that you didn’t comprehend the book or movie in its entirety or parts of it, perhaps it might have been more prudent to simply state which part or parts lacked clarity for you and I am positive that you would have received a lot of help.

Or, could it be that you were trying to provide a joke but found in the end that it was written in poor taste?
    Alas, there are times when we do not joke around about something that is dear to so many people.

Well, those are my two interpretations of the statement in question, now do tell me, which one is right?

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Hal Pollner

Registered

Neither is right, but I do appreciate your attempt at psychoanalysis, Bobby!

I have no "plight", as you infer...I fully understood the premise and plot of Haley's series, and I enjoyed it!

I simply enjoy making a "play on words" at any opportunity, as you should know by now!

Perhaps a remake of the next series could be called "seeds", as would have indeed been appropriate for the original title!

(Were you in the Army Special Forces?)

Take care...
    Hal

Last edited: Jul 30, 2018
    Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Ah, a seed does indeed pre-date a root. Perhaps Mr. Haley didn’t wish to back quite that far but nonetheless, I understand the premise.

No, although after many tests, the Army asked me to enter into OCS, Ranger school and a linguistics school.
    I did however go to 3 other schools and was airborne to boot.

6. Hal Pollner

Registered

7. Hal Pollner

Registered

I'm impressed with your military training, Mr. Cole, and I'm not surprised that you qualified for OCS!

I also qualified for OCS, but turned it down because I wanted no extra time added to my 2-year enlistment as a Draftee, for which I volunteered.

Your broad vocabulary and your writing style and phraseology was a tipoff to your being considered for Linguistic School, and I'm sure you would have made a fine Officer!

Your Airborne service is also impressive!

SP/4 Harold Pollner, US 56332718

Bobby Cole likes this.