Rodeos

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Wife and I were proud of me yesterday. We went to our local County Fair and, of course, wearing western gear. I was wearing my Team Roping buckle I got at a rodeo in So. California years ago. Really proud of that buckle! Anyway, looked at all of the livestock in the Livestock Barns and walked by a small area where two dummy steers were sitting, along with two ropes.

There was sitting/table area right next to this dummy steer/ropes area and we decided we were hungry. Got some food and sat at one of the tables. I noticed two young kids (young teens?), with their dad trying to rope the dummy. The dad was, unfortunately, showing the kids the wrong way to form a loop, hold extra coils, hold/swing the loop and deliver the loop around the dummy steer horns. After we finished eating, I walked over to the steer/roping area. One of the bystanders said, "here comes a professional" as I came over. I stated, "not anymore, but I'll give you kids a fast lesson in handling a rope and catching the steer head."

Show the kids, and their dad what I knew about how big the loop should be, how to hold the extra coils, distance from the spoke to the hand, using the wrist to swing the loop and the delivery of the loop (right-to-left) aka "follow-through". I watched the young girl do all of it, put her loop right around the steer's horns and pull her slack! "Great" I told her.

THAT "made my day"!!

2. D'Ellyn Dottir

D'Ellyn Dottir Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

Aw, I love when that kind of thing happens - real pros being generous with their time and talent and giving some kids an experience to talk about for years. Good for you! And how nice that a stranger recognized your expertise. That must have felt really good.

Marie Mallery likes this.
  3. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

I wish your wife had taken a video, that would have been great to see. Maybe you can post a photo of your buckle. The only problem I had wearing rodeo prize buckles was they were so big.

4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Were you riding a red roan or a blue dapple when you got that team roping buckle that marks you as being a professional rodeo roper? Also for those that don't know, the way you hold your lariat while riding is different than standing and roping. Roping technique while riding a steer usually differs from riding a horse. If you get 10 excellent ropers, no two will handle their lariat exactly the same. The way one shakes out their loop to lasso also differs. The dad in your story wasn't showing them the way you do it, but that doesn't mean it was the wrong way except in your story where you show the girl and she catches on immediately and lassos the mechanical steer horns on her first try which is simply amazing. Also, the steer must not have been one on a track and moving since she had to pull in the slack. When roping a moving object there is no pulling in the slack as the slack is taken up quick and in a hurry. I am amazed that you can still swing a lariat since you have had shoulder surgery.

5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

First of all, Faye, I know the difference between mechanical and stationary dummy. A nightclub I use to go to back in the mid 90's, in Temecula, CA, had a Lap-n-Tap aka Rollo-Roper inside the club. A number of team ropers, including myself and my "heeler", and calf ropers would go into the nightclub to play. The head on the dummy's body could be interchanged from steer to calf. This "roping machine" was very popular during the Temecula Rodeo, which was 3 go-arounds (Friday night, Saturday night and Sunday afternoon). After Sat. nights go, the club was packed with fans and some rodeo contestants. Not even thinking about it, us Timed-Event guys went in the club still wearing our roping spurs. Owner and manager never said a thing.

Later, the owner of the club had a Coors Roping Arena brought in, and setup, in the club. This was lots of fun and had an electronic timer on it. Some dude broke one of the steer legs, so the owner to it out of the club, repaired it, and sent it to Las Vegas during the NFR, to be used. Wife and I seen it there.

My "heading" horse was a Red Roan and register with AQHA, so, I became a member of them, as well as buying my Permit with PRCA. And, yes, I can still swing a loop, even after rotor cuff surgery in right shoulder. But, that surgery was in 2005, at which time, I was completely out of competing in rodeo. Horse, saddle, tack all gone, but kept two of my Classic "heading" ropes. One I used quite a bit and the other is brand new.

As far as "no pulling of slack", calf ropers aka tie-down ropers today, still jerk their slack after roping their calf. But, there is now a "jerk-down" rule from PRCA that states a cowboy can't jerk their slack hard, and high, that can/will make a calf flip in the air. Sometimes it's unavoidable, but if PRCA Judges deem the slack was pulled to hard, a fine can be given. Same thing goes for how far a horse can pull a roped calf. If the calf is pulled too much, the roper can be fined.

Team Ropers also jerk their slack before they dally around the saddle horn.

6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Not going to argue with you about this "jerking the slack", Faye, but you really need to watch the Timed-Events of a rodeo either in person or on tv. I actually went to a roping school where we done ground work on a dummy and arena work on our horses. The horses were all either "heading" or "heeling" horses, so it was the roper who had to learn.

This is what it says online about "jerking the slack" when Team Roping: "Most people dally in a counterclockwise motion. Once the loop settles around the cow’s neck, the roper jerks the slack out of it, then immediately dallies. He’ll take as many dallies as necessary, depending on a) how fast the animal is moving, b) how heavy the animal is, and c) what type of horn wrap he is using."

Apparently, Faye, there is some difference between ranch roping and rodeo arena roping.

7. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Thanks for confirming your roping knowledge is from the internet. I prefer personal experience and your own wording over internet knowledge. Internet articles verified and written by known pros are worth reading and the rest may or may not have any validity.

The real pro ropers never jerk slack. They lift their lariat up just enough to allow for a safe dally which must be timed and in place as the loop tightens. Jerking slack can lead to accidents and result in injury to both horse and rider as well as lost time which is critical in this timed rodeo event. Lifting the lariat to high and back (jerking) can also pull loops from your holding hand and really open the door for disaster.

General info for all from my personal experience. The reason a header will wrap their rope around the saddle horn (dally) is to give the roped steer slack as needed so the heeler can time his horse speed and judge distance and lasso the back legs (the heels). Not all heelers dally, many skilled ones use the tie-on method but with a break-away safety device that would prevent damage to their horse and the steer should the timing be off and the header not able to give the slack needed and a much too taut rope causing damage to one or both horses. Since in rodeo, team roping is a timed event and dallying takes time, thus "to dally," by the heeler may cost two great ropers a championship, so many great highly skilled heelers tie on rather than taking the time to dally.

Search the Team Roping Journal for an article "To Dally or not to Dally?" I could provide the link, but I had rather see anyone interested do the search themselves.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2021
  8. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, the article I read, and posted from, came from World Champion Team Ropers Clay O'brien Cooper and Jake Barnes and they are REAL pros!

FYI, I've got both real experience, obviously, since I attended a Roping School in Norco, CA and going to Jackpot Roping in both Norco and Riverside, California.

I've watched Clay and Jake rope, as well as Speed and Rich, and Dee and Mike. All in the Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame. Actually, wife and I were at the Induction of Dee Picket when he went in. I've also watched Bobby Hurley rope. Every single one of them jerked their slack, just like I did and my "heeler" did. As for myself, and my "heeler", it's very, very nice to have a winning buckle from a rodeo that we won.

9. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

. As for myself, and my "heeler", it's very, very nice to have a winning buckle from a rodeo that we won.

Can we please see a photo of that buckle?

Yes, most team ropers jerk slack only because their timing is off. You miss my point that if both ropers have their timing precise, then there is no jerking back and up on the lariat required. When teaching roping it should be taught with perfection in mind. Team roping is the most difficult of all roping events because it depends on accurate timing for both ropers, so seeing jerking in team roping is common, but that does not mean it is a good technique and excessive jerking high and back is nothing more than a "hail Mary" in hopes of getting a score. Just think about it. The time in jerking back is time lost.

Last edited: Aug 28, 2021
  10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

. Actually, wife and I were at the Induction of Dee Picket when he went in.

Well, you have one on me there! I hope you have a photo with him to share with us. I saw Dee rope with Mike Beers in 1984 and have seen Dee in person numerous times during the 1980s and some in the 1990s. Dee lives in Idaho and not all that far from me. About 1978 before a local rodeo, some friends and I had lunch with Dee and his buddies in the park, but since that was before he was famous, I guess it isn't all that impressive.

11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

So, you're not going to trust me saying that we were at Dee Pickett's Induction at he Hall of Fame? Well, we have got three pictures of him. In one, I'm standing next to him, in an other, my wife is and him receiving his HOF trophy and medal (hanging around his neck).

Marie Mallery likes this.
  12. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Oh, I believe you did yes, but I find it strange that you promise us photos and then you never post them.

Here is the thing. You can make a post about your accomplishment without any bragging and still, people will doubt your stories unless you post some photos or have something that gives them an idea that there is some validity to your story. But when you go to great lengths to brag and keep repeating stories that sound fabricated to boost your ego, then people want to see some photos. Even though most folks don't like bragging, at least they would respect your stories with some photos now and then. An example is a simple photo of your Pro Rodeo belt buckle would be nice and validate a lot. It doesn't have to be on you in the photo, just put it with your kitchen farm setup. I understand why you might not want a photo of you on a public open forum, but don't keep bragging about all these photos if you are unwilling to post at least a few.

A good example would be me. I have mentioned some of my accomplishments that some found unbelievable for a female so I posted photos with information that isn't found on the internet. The story of my making a muzzleloader sounded a bit hard to believe so I posted a photo and anyone with any knowledge could see it wasn't somebody else's make because I gave all the details that no one but the maker would know. The same about my radio building stories. Comparing the photos to my write-up everything fits for those with knowledge. The cabin I built is another example. Describing it before I posted a photo was questioned by those that aren't versed enough to realize what I had written wasn't anything copied off the internet. There is very little I have accomplished that hasn't been questioned by others. I don't blame them for questioning what seems a bit fantastic, because looking back I even question myself that maybe my memory is going berserk. Looking at old photos quickly dispels such self-doubting.

Basically what I am saying is most stories no one questions, but stories that sound unusual or fantastic may be questioned. Don't say you have photos to prove it unless you are willing to post them publically.

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Totally understand and my wife just told me "post some!". So, will do.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Me, with Dee Pickett when he went into the Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame in 2003.
    upload_2021-8-28_18-16-44.jpeg

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

My wife with Steve Duhon when he went into the Pro Rodeo Hall of Fame in 2003.
    upload_2021-8-28_18-19-59.jpeg