Rodeos

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Ken Anderson, Jan 12, 2018.

1. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Well, Mary, at most PRCA rodeos, a prayer is said by the Announcer and at every rodeo the National Anthem is sang. So, PBR doesn't have that completely to them.

If some members here had the Cowboy Channel, they'd see/hear this.

When I done my weekend rodeos, no prayer was said, so the change is a great one.

2. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

At the NFR (National Finals Rodeo) in Las Vegas right now, Bareback Rider Rocker Steiner got $3,000 in fines for "Language" ("F" Bomb) toward PRCA judges and "Harassment". After his ride the other night, the Cowboy Channel camera caught him saying the "F" Bomb towards those judges. Someone was able to get an iPhone picture of the nights Infractions, from the Rodeo Secretaries Office, that showed the two fines.

Things calmed down and last night he won the Bareback Riding that gave him $28,915 for first place. Congratulations to him, but PLEASE watch your language and anger. Most fans, the judges and the PRCA don't like that kind of language/anger at a rodeo.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I remember when Tie-Down Roper, Shane Hanchey, got a "No Time" for pushing or kicking the calf that resisted being tied. That upset Shane, he done that, and the PRCA judge waved him out as a "No Time" for it.

4. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Rocker Steiner is an excellent bronc rider, however, I don't like him because he is an arrogant attention seeker. He should let his talent Broc riding speak and not dress up in fur coats and wear wigs as attention-seeking ploys. Just my personal preference in rodeo. I think we will see more of the traditional values fading in pro rodeo as the years pass.

With that said, so far the cussing at the judges is an unproven allegation by a few fans that would have had to be expert lip readers with bionic hearing to know what he said. So far I can find no official word from the PRCA if he was fined or what word he used. Many fans dislike him because of his arrogant attention-seeking and pompous attitude, but no one should announce they know what word he said to the judges unless they have proof. His reputation shouldn't be tarnished over unproven allegations.

Since there are no videos with understandable audio of him allegedly cussing at the judges protesting his round 4 score, I will wait for a more positive confirmation before deciding he used a sexually abusive word personally directed at the judges. This is one of the faults of Instagram and Facebook, rumors get started from speculation.

I don't like him for reasons stated earlier but won't spread rumors until I can see evidence and not speculation.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  5. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

First, on Facebook yesterday, a fan at the NFR, put a iPhone picture of the list of infractions for that nights performance, who done them, the PRCA Rule Book Infraction number, what the infraction was and the penalty money. Rocker got both "Language" and "Harassment" infractions that cost him $3,000. This is who signed it at the bottom: Supervisor of Judges, NFRC Approval and Pro Official. Cory Solomon got one for the "drag" rule and another Tie-Down Roper got two infractions for "Jerk-Down" rule. Another Timed-Event man got one for "Not Ready". when called. It was a very official looking document and is on Facebook. I just now looked at it. Nobody had to announce what Rocker said to the judges, they seen it/heard it when the Cowboy Channel camera was on him.

Anyway, we met his father, Sid, back in January 2003, when the Pro-Rodeo Hall of Fame in CO Springs use to have the World Champ Induction Ceremony for previous NFR World Champions. They no longer have that. He won the 2002 Steer Wrestling World Championship thru the Average. He was a very nice guy, when we met him, but many rodeo announcers made comments about his hair and clothes. He was referred to as the "Wild Child" of PRCA rodeo. He was in a Locker Room, shirtless, when Ty Murray noticed his nipple rings. Sid asked Ty if he'd like to get his done and Ty said "no way". After Sid won his World Title, he completely left rodeo.

His son, Rocker came into view, as a Rookie, last year and had some big/huge major wins in Bareback. That's what got him into the Top 15. At regular season rodeos, he got lots and lots of attention from rodeo fans, but at the NFR, not nearly so much. That, in itself, has really upset him. There are those that don't like his earring/earrings and long hair. Then again, Tilden Hooper has long hair and nobody says anything about his.

Since I have some arrogancy about me and like, even love, attention Rocker doesn't bother me there. He won last night and that's great news. Hopefully, he'll win again at the NFR. He's a rookie, but boy can the dude ride Bareback!

6. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

The only thing that can be found is three Facebook postings of the same fines sheet for round 4 that was posted on a bulletin board. It does look official. The cameras didn't catch the alleged angry outbursts when Rocker allegedly yelled WTF at the judges after he saw his score. There is a photo of him yelling but no way to tell if it is from that event. The cameras were not on him when this alleged outburst occurred and no video exists or if it does, it is being kept from the public.

Since his fans are the ones that did the original posting on FB about his outburst and are in full support of his angry arrogance and use of language directed at the judges, I think it safe to assume that it did happen, even though no official word from the PRCA. It certainly fits Rocker's persona.

I find it interesting that several of his fans that support his arrogance and "uncowboy" ways and think his rudeness to the judges was just great and they deserved it, deny the story about his drinking, at age 18, in September, in a Pendleton, Oregon bar. The most credible version around here is he went into the bar with his dad and was drinking when someone called the cops. The other story says he snuck into the bar, the cops were called, then he ran from the cops, and broke both his ankles jumping off a roof. Regardless of what story is correct, he had to turn out of the short round at the Roundup the next day, because of broken ankles from the previous night on the town.

7. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I'm telling you Faye, it was seen on camera on the Cowboy Channel. Wife and I seen him mouth the words and it was seen by other Cowboy Channel fans as well. I have no idea, if you weren't watching, why you'd say the camera wasn't on him????

I will say this again, the Cowboy Channel camera WAS on him!! You say all of his fans supported him, again, that's definitely not true. He has fans that absolutely didn't support what he did.

As far as what he did in a bar with his dad, who in the heck cares? As far as that goes, there are plenty of ranch cowboys that have done bar craziness...........plenty. As far as his ankles go, I'd have to double check on what happened with that.

You don't like him, that's your opinion, but he has many, many fans, and wife and I are part of them. The kid is going to wind up winning a World Championship someday, whether you like it or not. He's a "Showman" and many people love that.

8. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Who cares that he was in a bar at age 18 when the legal age is 21 and ran from the police? Most folks that would like to see star pro rodeo contestants NOT feel that they are above the law.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2022
    Mary Stetler likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

First, he said "WT* do you want from me?" towards the judges. I will find out about the bar thing and dealing with the police. If it's really true. IOW, I know plenty of PRCA fans now on Facebook and will ask them.

10. Faye Fox

Faye Fox Veteran Member
    Registered

Watching PBR rodeo last night, reining world champ Jose Vitor Leme scored on all three rides to win that event and bring him from 6th to 2nd place in the year's standings. He would be first but had to take time off to heal from an injury and that set him back but was a good decision because he healed and got his strength back. He started the year in 18th place last week but won that event to take him to 6th, and now after his second event this year he is 2nd.

Will he take back 1st place next week? That remains to be seen, but the other contestants are taking his return seriously.

Both the bull and rider get scores, so to get in the 90s, both bull and rider have to be at their best for 8 seconds. 50 points is the maximum for the bull and another 50 is max for the rider. The below video shows Jose getting a 50-point ride with the bull at 48.75

Here is his ride from last year when he broke his own world record with the highest score ever recorded in bull riding. The bull Woopa really gets some extensions and leaps here that should have had Jose biting the dust, but he even keeps a good form and position. Simply amazing. The ride is just the first few seconds of the video.

In the rest of the video, he tells about his belief in God and shows amazing humility. This was so special because his wife and baby were there. He is Brazilian and like so many bull-riding Brazilians came to the USA to ride so they could keep their ranches and give their families a better life. They ride for a higher purpose. I think that is what makes them so good and dedicated.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
    Mary Stetler and John Brunner like this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Only kidding, only kidding, but............who in the heck is interested in bull riding? Then again, when Stetson Wright and/or Sage Kimzey are riding at a PRCA sanctioned rodeo, we do watch. Years back, we watched the Brazilian rider Adraino Moraes ride. We have never watched PBR, but it is in the movie, The Longest Ride, starring Scott Eastwood (Clint Eastwood's son) and Alan Alda (MASH star).

Last edited: Jan 16, 2023
  12. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

13. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

As EMS, I covered two different PRCA rodeos, and the bull riding event seemed to be the most popular. My question would be, "Who in the heck wants to ride a bull?"

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Ken, plenty of guys, and even many young ladies do.

Actually, I was at a rodeo in Los Angeles, California in the mid 90's, at the old L.A. Forum where the Lakers use to play. After the rodeo, I was walking thru the vendor area and seen this young lady. I didn't think anything about her, but did notice her belt buckle. I asked her about it and it turned out that she was the previous year's World Champion Female Bull Rider. Yes, you read right..........female bull rider. And, Ken, there are also female bronc riders.

Back in the mid 80's, I had thought about being a saddle bronc rider, that was, until a saddle bronc rider friend gave me a quick lesson in handling/forming/swinging and delivery of a rope loop. After that, bought a horse, saddle/tack, ropes and went to a roping school. After that, I bought my PRCA Permit in Team Roping and found a "heeler".

Some of the most popular bull riders were: Larry Mahan, Donny Gay, Lane Frost and Charles Sampson. All in the Hall of Fame.

15. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Now, my ultimate question is this: Just how does a rodeo announcer get the crowd excited and, without telling them, get them to applaud a really good ride/score or a great time in the timed-events (bulldogging, tie-down, barrel racing and team roping). The crowds that are at each performance of the NWSSR (Denver rodeo), that we watched on the Cowboy Channel, were extremely dead/silent. It was truly discouraging to see!
    Years ago, crowds at rodeos really showed their enthusiasm, but it just doesn't seem that way today.