Robots In The Ring

Discussion in 'Sports & Recreation' started by Bobby Cole, Nov 26, 2020.

1. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

So, you don’t watch football, baseball, basketball or any of the other stuff that has been made into a political mess and are just sitting around with nothing to do.
    You look around the room and spot the wife’s Zoomba sitting in the corner and wonder, “gosh, I wonder if this thing could be converted into a fighting machine?”
    So, you go to work on the computerized floor sweeper from your new living quarters in the garage and with a little work, your accomplishment finds itself in the middle of a ring, fighting with someone else’s wife’s converted Zoomba and a new sport has emerged.
    Now, I don’t know if the sport is worthy of a bunch of guys watching “Battle Bots” on pay per view and eating Cheetos and drinking beer, but I binge watched about 20 of the matches tonight and find them absolutely fascinating and even somewhat exhilarating.

Here’s an example of some of the matches I watched on YouTube.

Yvonne Smith and Ken Anderson like this.
  2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Several high schools have robot wars competitions - or did back when we still had schools. I have attended a couple of them and they were a whole lot more fun than football.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Ed Wilson

Ed Wilson Veteran Member
    Registered

I saw those battles on TV a few times and enjoyed watching them. They are a great teaching tool for aspiring geeks and it gets them away from dry text book learning.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  4. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

The variety of the “bots” is most intriguing to me and the actual battles show how those varieties work. Some of them sling hammers to crush their opponent and some have saw blades and other spinning components. Almost all of them have wheels but one from the UK has grasshopper like legs albeit the leg thing wasn’t very well planned because against a more agile opponent it suffered some devastating pounding.
    Here’s some more examples of a couple of varieties that are quite different from the 1st video I posted.

Ken Anderson and Ed Wilson like this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

For the matches in the UK, I noticed the sponsors were listed when they introduced each robot and I believe one was even sponsored by Apple so we’re talking major bucks and a lot of tech going into each machine.

Compared to the list price of $29.95 for the boxing robots that I remember from my youth, the present ones are wayyyy out of my reach. Anyone remember these guys?

Trevalius Guyus likes this.
  6. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I had to do a double take on this one. After a bit I thought it was possibly fake but nope, Boston Dynamics says it’s the real deal.
    Let’s dance!!

Ken Anderson and Nancy Hart like this.
  7. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff

I've found the best design to be those that have no right-side-up or upside-down. The axles run through the exact center of the body so it still runs as normal if it gets flipped.

Trevalius Guyus and Bobby Cole like this.
  8. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Yep, love those things. They get tossed and for the most part land on their wheels.
    One thing I had not known from the first couple of videos is that the majority of the bots weight upward of 200-250 lbs. Until I saw them being carted into the ring they just looked like a Roomba that had been experimented on at the Isle of Dr. Marrow.

John Brunner likes this.
  9. John Brunner

Knowing that, it's insane to see them get tossed around as they do.

I miss watching Robot Wars and Battle Bots. Maybe once they finish running fiber internet here (supposed to be a done deal in 2021) I'll be able to stream them, and a whole bunch of other stuff.

Bobby Cole likes this.
  10. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I’ve been watching them on YouTube (obviously) and the more recent ones lack a lot of the hoopla that the ones had before the virus junk hit.
    No audience and no wild commentary during the battles. Just a couple of machines tearing each other up. Bang, boom. Fizzzzz. Next case.

One great thing about the battles is that ESPN hasn’t picked them up yet or they’d be bogged down with some kind of political junk that no one really cares about to begin with.,

John Brunner and Ken Anderson like this.
  11. John Brunner

Just because they're held together with nuts...

Bobby Cole likes this.
  12. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

Ya know, you and @Joe Riley are indeed a pair to draw to. It seems that you and he see the humor in between the lines much better than most.

Joe Riley and John Brunner like this.
  13. John Brunner

I finally got around to watching this vid.

Was that Adam Savage from "Myth Busters" as one of the judges? Just got a brief glimpse...

Bobby Cole likes this.
  14. John Brunner

Well, since you can always go to another website, I have yet to get tiresome.

I forget Joe's background. My mother was British, so I shall never deplete my reserve of sarcasm.

Joe Riley and Bobby Cole like this.
  15. Bobby Cole

Task Force Registered

I have to be honest and write that I only watched maybe 4 or 5 episodes of Myth Busters. I’ll go pull one up tomorrow and see if that’s him though.

John Brunner likes this.