Richard Feynman

Discussion in 'Happy Talk' started by Nancy Hart, Aug 13, 2018.

1. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

"In this interview, Murray Gell-Mann talks about his experience of working along with Richard Feynman in Caltech. A good insight into the two clashing personalities of the two great men, both equal in intelligence, but very different in mannerisms and image."

Nancy Hart likes this.
  2. Nancy Hart

Nancy Hart Veteran Member
    Registered

canthearyou.jpg

Thank you, Joe, but this man is making fun of my hero! :( I'm not in the mood for him right now. I need some heroes. :D

Most likely Feynman was purposely protesting silly rules about the dress code at the lunch facility. That would be consistent with his views, in an earlier video, about invitation only honor societies being mostly self-congratulatory clubs.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

This guy may have had his own ego & jealousy issues! I debated about sharing it, but hey....most heroes are human-beans!;)

Nancy Hart likes this.
  4. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

5. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

6. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

7. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

8. Nancy Hart

Registered

9. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

A Polymath Physicist On Richard Feynman's "Low" IQ

Steve Hsu is a professor of physics at the University of Oregon. He holds degrees from Caltech and Berkeley and his research interests range from theoretical physics and information technology to the theory of modern finance, genetics, education, intelligence, and psychometrics.
    [​IMG]
    Tell me about your scientific heroes.
    My scientific hero since when I was in high school was Richard Feynman. See link:
    http://infoproc.blogspot.com/2007/07/feynman-video.html What I liked most about Feynman was his unlimited curiosity and willingness to pursue problems wherever they lead. He was also a very down to earth person. I was lucky enough to attend Caltech while he was still on campus.

Is it true Feynman's IQ score was only 125?
    Feynman was universally regarded as one of the fastest thinking and most creative theorists in his generation. Yet it has been reported-including by Feynman himself-that he only obtained a score of 125 on a school IQ test. I suspect that this test emphasized verbal, as opposed to mathematical, ability. Feynman received the highest score in the country by a large margin on the notoriously difficult Putnam mathematics competition exam, although he joined the MIT team on short notice and did not prepare for the test. He also reportedly had the highest scores on record on the math/physics graduate admission exams at Princeton. It seems quite possible to me that Feynman's cognitive abilities might have been a bit lopsided-his vocabulary and verbal ability were well above average, but perhaps not as great as his mathematical abilities. I recall looking at excerpts from a notebook Feynman kept while an undergraduate. While the notes covered very advanced topics for an undergraduate-including general relativity and the Dirac equation-it also contained a number of misspellings and grammatical errors. I doubt Feynman cared very much about such things.

Nancy Hart likes this.
  10. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

11. Nancy Hart

Registered

In 1978, Feynman was diagnosed with liposarcoma, a rare form of cancer. He underwent successful surgery, but a decade later the illness returned. Further operations were performed in 1986 and 1987. He was hospitalized at the UCLA Medical Center on February 3, 1988. A ruptured duodenal ulcer caused kidney failure. He declined to undergo dialysis, and died on February 15th.

According to the comments, this somewhat disturbing video was made about two weeks before he died. The song was a take on Linus Pauling's letter to Feynman advising him to get more Vitamin C to possibly cure his cancer.

Source

12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

13. Nancy Hart

Registered

14. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Four Jokes from Richard Feynman to Product Management
    by Poornima Farrar

Richard Feynman’s autobiography, “Surely You’re Joking, Mr. Feynman” is an amazing read in many ways. I was drawn to it also from the perspective of a product manager who is always looking for parallels across different fields in order to improve my tradecraft. Fortunately, Feynman is a wonderful storyteller and I felt that many of his stories directly applied to building skills for managing products. Here are a few.

Tim Burr likes this.
  15. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered