Rice Pudding

Discussion in 'Food & Drinks' started by Diane Lane, Jul 24, 2016.

1. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I cooked a meal yesterday that I'll be eating for a few days, so now it's time to make a dessert. I'm not a fussy person, at least with regard to food, so the only difficulty I have in choosing a recipe to make (or choosing a dessert if I'm at a restaurant) is which one of the many recipes I love, do I want to make. I think this is going to be the recipe I make either today or tomorrow. I don't have raisins at the house, so if I make it today, I might substitute craisins.

I love how simple rice pudding is to make, and it seems there are a lot of recipes available, but this is probably the one I will use.

rice pudding.jpg

Krissttina Isobe and Tim Burr like this.
  2. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

You had me at 'Rice Pudding' ! All Time Favorite.
    My Mom would always have some around because we had a rice cooker.

Diane Lane likes this.
  3. Diane Lane

Registered

I don't have a rice cooker, but I am considering buying one in the future. It seems they're becoming very popular, and there's a lot of variety in brands and models, so I'll have to do some research first. My dad is the one who usually made the rice pudding in our house, although my mom also made it a time or two, but I associate it with my dad, and I feel close to him when I make the dishes he used to cook, like this, bread pudding, Sunday hash, seafood, etc.

Krissttina Isobe and Tim Burr like this.
  4. Krissttina Isobe

Krissttina Isobe Veteran Member
    Registered

:oops:One thing when you buy rice cookers check if you can buy parts easily. I buy aroma brand and it's good, but only online for parts buying. We need a inner pot already because the pot non stick portion is starting to peel off-still okay to use, but it looks terrible. This is when I found out no parts in stores just online, nor is there any dealer who got generic parts either. Rice cookers are easy to cook with and some come with duo rice cooker and steamer.

5. Krissttina Isobe

Registered

We make rice gruel with our left over rice and not rice pudding. I wouldn't like it for I just can't get my mind to wrap sweet rice, so we make rice gruel. Rice gruel is simple to make and is good when you got a cold or flu to eat. It's hot, watery rice easy to eat and get nourishment from. We just add water like 1/16" above rice and cook up a little till the rice becomes like soup like. I like bread pudding though. Sorry just can't eat sweet rice. :confused:

6. Diane Lane

Registered

Thanks @Krissttina Isobe, that's definitely something to keep in mind. It'll probably be a while before I can buy one, but I'll do some research first, so I can get the best deal and not have that issue arise. I just went through that with my electric kettle. I tried to find a replacement lid and wasn't able to, so I ended up junking the whole thing. I'd had it for years and definitely got my money's worth, but I would rather fix and keep than dump into landfills.

Krissttina Isobe likes this.
  7. Krissttina Isobe

Registered

:oops:Us too, we need an inner rice pot for non-stick grey stuff flaking now, so we decideded to use the new one I bought which is digital. We got to talking about how much the inner pot is, $10, plus shipping. Mom says go ahead and buy it We like our new rice cooker. So I thought I'd wait for $10 is $10 after all.:) Good luck with your new appliances too!

8. Kate Ellery

Kate Ellery Supreme Member
    Registered

I have made what we call creamed rice ( sweet desert ) for more years than I care to remember ..when my children were young they would have eaten ( if I let them) a bowl of CR in preference to eating their veggies ..and my grandchildren were the same ..My hubby also asks me to cook it in summer..
    I didn't use a. rice cooker I used a large saucepan as I cooked two cups of rice at a time and by the time I added the milk,egg, it cooked up quite a big pot of rice ....You can also use a slowcooker to cook rice pudding .....it's not my favourite method

9. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I live in a suburban town called Cainta where the specialty are delicacies particularly snack food. The most popular is the rice pudding called "bibingka" which I buy whenever I would attend a gathering of friends because that's their usual request. The round rice pudding is in a square box that is good for 10 to 15 people when eaten as snack. That size costs around $4 which is pretty cheap for a delicacy. The main ingredient of our rice pudding is glutinous rice which is cooked in coconut milk. The topping is a brown caramel which is unique in taste.

It's just unfortunate that I have no photo of that rice pudding right now.

10. Michael Dean

Michael Dean Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

My Pressure King Pro digital pressure cooker has a recipe for rice pudding that we have yet to try out.

Looking forward to it!

Bill Boggs likes this.
  11. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Gruel, Grits, Porridge, and several other unusual terms for a kind of cereal or meal mix, what really is the difference? Heard them all my life..............
    Frank

12. Don Alaska

Don Alaska Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Since my wife has been on a modified Fodmap diet, we cut sugar in recipes by 50%...sometimes more, and everything seems to taste better. She cannot eat rice, but I cut the sugar in rice pudding, and it tastes better--not so sweet.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  13. Tim Burr

Tim Burr Veteran Member
    Registered

I like Rice.

Brown, Wild or White.

Steamed or Fried.

Rice Cakes, Rice Pudding, Rice Candy, the list goes on and on.

Potatoes are ok, but with a steak, give me a wild rice and mushroom side.

Ok, back to subject... I like Rice pudding.:)

14. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Rice cakes? Ugh. :)

I only eat those when dieting. I hate rice though...

15. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

@Don Alaska
    Since my wife went on a "Keto" binge, daily documenting her food intake, allowed 10% of calories as carbohydrates, 65% fats, 25% proteins, a bit higher than "true Keto", which usually dictates 5% carbs. Further imposed, a maximum daily intake of 1200 calories. She has lost weight, but more importantly her blood sugar has come down into the 90s from mid-110s.

We have had no bread, rice, or packaged foods in our fridge for a year. And, I LOVE rice!
    dammit. Frank

Yvonne Smith likes this.