Rhubarb, The Cat Who Owned A Baseball Team...

Discussion in 'Movies & Entertainment' started by Yvonne Smith, Jun 25, 2015.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

If you are not a baseball fan; you may have never heard of Rhubarb the Cat. Even if you are a fan of baseball, you may still not have heard of him, because this is a cat who starred in a movie way back in 1951, when most of the movies were still in black and white.
    Back in those days, the Dodgers were still in Brooklyn, and the story is about a millionaire who owned the baseball team, and left everything to his cat when he died.

Besides the original movie about Rhubarb, there was a comic book about his adventures, making Rhubarb famous to even those folks who had somehow missed seeing the movie. I loved the Rhubarb comic books, and looked forward to each new issue with the pictures of the big orange cat, and loved reading about his adventures.
    Amazingly, one of the actors in the movie was Leonard Nimoy, who portrays one of the players on the Brooklyn Dodgers baseball team.

Rhubarb (whose actual name was "Orangey", went on to have a move career, and was in movies for over 10 years, winning many of the awards given to animal movie stars.

Here is a synopsis of the movie, as well as some actual pictures of both Rhubarb, and Leonard Nimoy (minus the pointed ears).

The greatest baseball movie of all time (and you’ve probably never seen it). | Roar of the Tigers

Diane Lane and Joe Riley like this.
  2. Hannah Davis

Hannah Davis Veteran Member
    Registered

I have never heard of this movie but it sounds really cute. I like cats and I also like classic films I ought to try to obtain this movie online if I can. It was also funny to see Leonard Nimoy in another role besides that of Mr. Spock on Star Trek. Those pictures of him almost had me laughing he was so young there in this movie. I wonder if I had seen this movie without knowing he was in it along the way if I would of recognized him, I really don't think so because he looks so different.

3. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

Never heard of that one. Here's another clip.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  4. Charlie Hampel

Charlie Hampel Veteran Member
    Registered

I have been a Rhubarb fan since I was a child! I had the video in VHS, but need to get it in DVD format. I have had two cats named Rhubarb. The first was a huge yellow Maine Coon! I loved him so much! I was forced to retire in 1998 & lost my home. Moved into my friends home & he got out. He was hit by a car, and I lost him. At the time I also had an Amazon parrot that spoke in my voice. My birthday was coming, so my girls gave me a female tabby cat, with an orange nose. I called her Thubatb, Too. She was with me until Jan 2015. Almost 16 years, but I had to put her down. She's buried under my bedroom window. I have always been a Dodger's fan, and living in northern California means I get a lot of teasing, but it all goes back to Rhubarb! You know when players get into a scuffle on the field, it's also called a Rhubarb! You only hear a few announcers use the term these days.

Diane Lane and Yvonne Smith like this.
  5. Ike Willis

Ike Willis Supreme Member
    Registered

Awesome. Never heard of this movie. It looks like a really fun to watch one. :)

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  6. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I'm not a sports fan, but am a cat lover, so I'm surprised I haven't heard of this. It does look like a fun watch :D.