Reverse Speech

Discussion in 'Conspiracies & Paranormal' started by Martin Alonzo, Oct 28, 2015.

1. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Veteran Member
    Registered

Yes, I've heard of subliminal messages in advertising. I get that, but to suggest that Obama is saying something about Satan is a little far fetched to me. I never voted for him but still find that hard to believe.

Wow, to think how many times I'm thanking Satan, I'm sure I've used that phrase. Ministers have used that phrase, so...they are not who they say they are. I see.....

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
  2. Terry Page

Terry Page Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The human mind is always looking for patterns it evolved that way to do with survival. We are all susceptible to believe there are patterns when there are in reality often none. Deja Vu is one as are apparent synchronistic events, we home in on affirmations of our belief in a pattern, dismissing any that don't fit.
    We are also apt to hear or see what is suggested to us by others.

I believe Backmasking and Reverse Speech fall into this category, we hear what we want to hear. It has no connection with intelligence just a feature of the mind, which at times is far from giving us a truthful vision of the world in my opinion.

The finding of backward Satanic messages has been explained as caused by the observer-expectancy effect. The Skeptic's Dictionary states that "you probably won't hear [backmasked] messages until somebody first points them out to you. Perception is influenced by expectation and expectation is affected by what others prime you for." In 1984, S. B. Thorne and P. Himelstein found that "when vague and unfamiliar stimuli are presented, [test subjects] are highly likely to accept suggestions, particularly when the suggestions are presented by someone with prestige and authority."Vokey and Read concluded from their 1985 experiment that "the apparent presence of backward messages in popular music is a function more of active construction on the part of the perceiver than of the existence of the messages themselves."

Watch this Ted Talk Video from around 9:00 minutes for an example of this phenomena.

Karen McKenzie and Chrissy Cross like this.
  3. Martin Alonzo

Martin Alonzo Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

The TED Talk was interesting as far as skeptic and skeptic societies we have had them for years it is call the science of the age. The science of the age put Galileo in jail and murdered Dr Semmelweis and many many more if that is the only thing science can offer it is sad. We are lucky to have Bubble bees because science for near 100 years said with their wings and body size it was impossible for them to fly.

Their attempt to discredit reverse speech the people did hear something .

4. Terry Page

Terry Page Very Well-Known Member
    Registered

They thought they heard devil, but we have that word in our consciousness from all the previous claims, so its hardly surprising that they thought they heard it.

5. Chrissy Cross

Registered

I just don't get the point of it at all. No matter how many times I would listen to Obama say we can do it, Thank you Satan isn't something I would credit him with. I'm not an Obama fan at all, but "thank you Satan" doesn't ring true to me as something he would do. Half the population doesn't even believe in Satan, so what's the point.

To me Satan isn't anymore scary that a cartoon villain.

Terry Page likes this.
  6. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Member
    Registered

I'll put my opinion in the simplest terms, I think it's pure bull. People often hear what they want to hear. Mass numbers of people once hearing a version of what someone else hears can be influenced to hear it also. I also don't buy into the Easter bunny.

7. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Veteran Member
    Registered

I think it sounds like a bunch of bull hockey.

8. Martin Alonzo

Registered

A good friend was a flutist for the London Symphony Orchestra and we would listen to music and she would point out instruments only after did I hear them. I could listen to that music forever and not make them out did that mean they were not there. The skeptic would claim they are not there because I did not hear them the first time.

Last edited: Apr 6, 2016
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  9. Jim Beam

Jim Beam Member
    Registered

I'm skeptical....

Terry Page likes this.
  10. Martin Alonzo

Registered

Good Jim I hope your skeptical of some science too

11. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think it's interesting some people choose to believe this "reverse talk" but in the end people will believe what they want to believe and I'm fine with that.

Some people see the Virgin Mary on their toast and other people believe that too. It doesn't bother me and I don't really care..until they tell me I'm an idiot if I don't see it too.

12. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Veteran Member
    Registered

Record yourself saying, "Yes, we can" and play it back in reverse. It doesn't take a lot of imagination to hear it. I think I would have heard it if I hadn't read it first. Still, the power of suggestion is strong. Whether Obama intended that when he chose the slogan is another matter.

13. Karen McKenzie

Karen McKenzie Well-Known Member
    Registered

I think where some people see a coincidence..others see a conspiracy... I believe the Obama thing is pure coincidence...

Terry Page and Chrissy Cross like this.
  14. Chrissy Cross

Registered

Yes, a coincidence. If you search hard enough you will find every politician has said that phrase not to mention religious leaders.

Maybe even the Pope, you can pin a conspiracy theory on anyone.