Retiring On Low-income

Discussion in 'Retirement & Leisure' started by Denise Evans, Dec 19, 2015.

1. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

I don't blame you Denise for trying to get the best location possible, but certainly you need to get out of that environment as soon as possible. You are very brave sleeping in the same room as someone who needs that many drugs to remain stable.

2. Denise Evans

Denise Evans Supreme Member
    Registered

yep, and then to put "icing" on the "cake", we just heard someone told our landlord the gal is a psycho "b___ch" and they called the cops on her because she attacked some guy and was stalking him. I am now hoping she stays on ALL those meds, I'll even remind her LOL!

Good news from Lakeport though. I am number 14 on their list, wow, really better position than 200th etc. But we all know that it could be 2 years before 13 people move out. This place is exceptional in Lakeport so yeah, who knows;) I'll take the one in CC, and be happy with it;) and very, very grateful;)

3. Terry Page

Registered

Funny you should say that Denise, Chrissy said she would be scared the woman may not take her drugs and then what?

Denise Evans likes this.
  4. Denise Evans

Registered

I'm really not that scared Terry. I do have some faith in God, maybe only a mustard seed's worth, but where, when you look around, is there a safe place anymore??

I'm just gripey because I have a torn rotator cuff, and it's Christmas without anyone I am close to;) I'll be fine. I have a taser, LOL!!

Terry Page and Chrissy Cross like this.
  5. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

A taser helps, lol!

Are these apts for seniors only, Denise or anyone low income?

Denise Evans likes this.
  6. Terry Page

Registered

True Denise nowhere is entirely safe, but I have never feared any place I have been, I don't have your faith but I do feel protected in some way, and anyway the odds are against anything bad happening.

Chrissy Cross likes this.
  7. Denise Evans

Registered

Seniors only I believe Chrissy, although the ones in Lakeport are also for disabled, but I think you still have to be over 55. Just not sure, on either apt. though?? ;) Merry Christmas sweetie!! denise

8. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

My husband had just received teh approval of his pension application which was 1 year delayed. Before Christmas, the money was deposited in his bank account and he felt happy with it, of course, because the 1 year was paid to him. His monthly pension is 4,000 pesos, that less than $100. And although the living standards in the Philippines is much lower than in the US, that $100 will get to nowhere. My husband sitll works as a consultant but I don't know for how long because he is already 61 and offices here wouldn't want employees aged more than 65 years old.

Diane Lane likes this.
  9. Denise Evans

Registered

Wanted to give everyone my good news for the New Year. I found my apartment, and it is in a lovely, tiny town. My income is very low (thus, the thread) but I am blessed to have found good, subsidized housing in Crescent City California. Lovely area, 7 blocks from a wonderful hiking/walking beach (pic below). More to tell as I go, but my move-in date is the 8th of this month. Happy New Year to all, and if you are ready, or in the process of signing up for subsidized or section 8 housing, don't let the "waiting list" length scare you or discourage you. I was told a year to 3 years on all I signed up for. I was called after only 2-3 months on this one;) You never know, and God is in charge. It's up to Him, not the so-called "powers that be" on Earth;)

IMG_20151230_142929553.jpg

10. Terry Page

Registered

That's wonderful news Denise what a great start to the new year, and not long before you move in, look forward to more pics.:)

[​IMG]

Joe Riley likes this.
  11. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

Happy for you, Denise!!

Also a good sign that your new place is abbreviated as CC! :)

Last edited: Jan 1, 2016
    Yvonne Smith and Joe Riley like this.
  12. Joe Riley

Joe Riley Supreme Member
    Registered

What great news, Denise! :D
    [​IMG]

Diane Lane likes this.
  13. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Abby Normal , After reading your post, all I could think of was that song Happy.

14. Ina I. Wonder

Ina I. Wonder Supreme Member
    Registered

@Abby Normal , I have been trying to figure out how to post a video for months, but after reading you good news, I was determined to figure it out, because I wanted you to hear how happy I am for you. I'm clapping for you, and doing a little happy dance as well. I'm so happy for you my friend.

15. Shirley Martin

Shirley Martin Supreme Member
    Registered

Denise, that's beautiful! Can I come live with you? I'll do the dishes!:D

Seriously, though, I'm happy for you. I'll be marking off the days.