Resolutions, Do You Make Them Each Year ?

Discussion in 'Holidays & Traditions' started by Yvonne Smith, Jan 10, 2016.

1. Yvonne Smith

Yvonne Smith Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

And if you make them, how long do you usually keep them ?
    I remember when I was younger, I would make a New Year's Resolution , and then in a few weeks it would get hard to do, or life just got too busy for me to do it, and it was forgotten about until the next January, when I either tried that one again, or made a different resolution.
    For me, the ones that work best are ones of "good intentions" rather than a specific project. For example, I do better at keeping a resolution to eat healthier foods than one to never eat ice cream for the rest of the year.
    This way, as long as I am at least making some progress, then I will keep trying to accomplish the resolution; but if it depends on a specific action, then it is easy to blow it, and then just dump the whole idea altogether.

I guess that I can say that this year, my New year's Resolution is to be fitter/healthier than I was last year, and to enjoy the blessings of life as much as possible.
    It seems to me that if I look at what is going wrong in life, then I can get discouraged or even depressed; but when I focus on making things better, and enjoying what I DO have, then my whole outlook on life is a much better one.

Mari North likes this.
  2. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Good thoughts here, and I'm pretty much the same. I used to make resolutions but I finally realized that I wasn't doing myself any favors in doing that because it was like setting myself up.

I have goals... I know how I want things to go, but I also know that I will have to be modifying them until I get them right. Like you said, if it's something like "no more ice cream"... or chips/chocolate for me... I'll mess up before we put January to bed. But if it's like "I'll eat fewer chips" then I have a little leeway. Anything too strict or too specific rarely works for me.

I *do* want to get healthier but I've been doing well with that since 2014 now, so it doesn't need to be a "resolution"... I've made it a way of life but I never *ever* restrict myself so severely from any particular food that I sabotage myself.

Yvonne Smith likes this.
  3. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

NO, never Do make resolutions Yvonne...I did when I was much much younger...but no, not now!!

4. Bonnie Thomas

Bonnie Thomas Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't make any New Year's resolutions anymore either. I've learned better..:p

5. Amy Read

Amy Read Veteran Member
    Registered

I do not make any new year's resolution every year even when I was younger because I might break my promise. And one thing I always believe that if you have a desired goal you must not just keep on saying it but instead by doing it by your actions.

6. Chrissy Cross

Chrissy Cross Supreme Member
    Registered

No, I don't make them anymore either. They are always pretty much the same goals I always have.

Lose a few lbs.
    Get more exercise
    Downsize and get rid of everything that's filling up the closets in 4 bedrooms...I've spread out, lol and I wear the same comfy stuff at home anyway.

Terry Page likes this.
  7. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I used to prepare my new year's resolution when I was in high school. You know those high schoolers trying to be up to date with the craze. But when I became an adult, I realized that a resolution does not need to be timed for new year. One can always make resolutions any time of the year. Besides, having those written resolutions would only make you conscious of your shortcomings, make you feel guilty of your failures and give you frustrations. So why pressure myself with that? I just enjoy life, hahahaaah.

Terry Page likes this.
  8. Terry Page

Terry Page Supreme Member
    Registered

Can't recall if I ever did really, but New Years seem to come and go so quickly these days, I don't have a chance to think about them. I do take stock of my life at odd times during the year, but seem to have reached an age where there is nothing much I would want to or am capable of changing in my life, like Corie I just live and enjoy it as much as I can now.

9. Molly Hazel

Molly Hazel Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't really make any now, used to when I was younger