Residents Who Won't Listen To Apt. Complex Manager

Discussion in 'Places I Have Lived' started by Cody Fousnaugh, Oct 29, 2020.

1. Trevalius Guyus

Trevalius Guyus Veteran Member
    Registered

The problems all stem from very poor management at the top, as in the company that owns your complex. I imagine they own other complexes around your area and, maybe, around the country.

It's obvious that the top level folks don't have a clue as to how to communicate effectively, when it comes to a uniform policy for their onsite management team to follow.

While i have never lived in an apartment complex, I'm sure that if I gave one like yours a go, I'd be breaking my lease in no time, and be gone like a cool breeze!

2. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

Since I have told the story of my unfortunate sixth-month lease at a condominium in Brownsville, Texas, I won't repeat it here, but here's a link to another thread where I spoke of it.

3. Cody Fousnaugh

Cody Fousnaugh Supreme Member
    Registered

Unless absolutely necessary, a resident doesn't want to break a lease. It shows up on credit report and it could be extremely difficult finding another apartment to live in. There are those that break their lease, that can't get accepted into another apartment complex and have to store their furniture and live in a weekly motel or pay a high weekly cost and live in a business travelers hotel. So, not only do they have to pay a monthly storage fee for their furniture, they also have to pay a high hotel cost.

4. Trevalius Guyus

Registered

I would document why I broke my lease with letters to management, their replies, text messages, etc.

Good landlords will do their own research on prospective tenants instead of relying on credit scores, which can be pure bs, for many different reasons. I never used them when I screened potential tenants. I only had a handful of slackers, in almost forty years.

Bobby Cole and Patsy Faye like this.
  5. Bobby Cole

Bobby Cole Supreme Member
    Task Force Registered

Unless an apartment complex is a “bleed ‘em dry” type of organization and goes after a tenant for breaking a lease, the credit score won’t be affected but an eviction filed with the court system will.

If a person can no longer afford to live in a complex or home or is relocating to another city or is a military person, a small talk with the landlord will generally get a favorable nod.
    I have had several tenants come to me with problems and have had to break a lease and logic tells me that keeping the deposit and saying bye is far better than any other legal alternative.

Trevalius Guyus likes this.
  6. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

No need for us to leave or break our lease. We've lived at other apartment complexes where there was management problems and didn't leave/break the lease.

I asked our last apartment manager, "have you ever gotten any threats from residents that you evicted? How about resident complaints about how you manage (too tough)?"
    She told me "oh yes, on the threats and JSO (Jacksonville Sheriffs Office) has reports on all of them. On Monday morning, my phone messages can be full of residents complaining about other residents or wondering why they were sent a Notice by me for something. I will tell them that it's my job to take care of problems and why they got the Notice."

7. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

Why would any one take that job? Sounds like it is kind of like herding cats.
    I once tried to be a supervisor in the erroneous concept that I woud be managing workflow confident in the naive thought that the adults around me would know and desire their jobs. Nope I found out that most were lazy whiney little bastards that needed their hands held and to be spoon fed every hour of their job.
    Your manager can keep her "job" God Bless her!

Ken Anderson likes this.
  8. Trevalius Guyus

Registered

Reading the above makes me very glad that I've never lived in an apartment complex, in my life. I walked out of negotiations on buying a house in a gated community once I was informed about their ultra-intrusive HOA, and I sure as hell wouldn't want to have that intrusive factor PLUS having to deal with common wall/ceiling/floor apartment complex neighbors. No way, Jose!

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  9. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, think about this, then: It's not just apartments that can have a problems, houses do as well. And, not even dealing with an HOA.

In April 2004, we started looking for a house to buy and were living in a 1-bedroom apartment 18 miles south of Denver, Colorado. With a Realtor, we looked at a number of houses to the east of where our apartment was. Some were way to far from the jobs we had.........like 40 miles. One house we looked at, and ended up having a formal inspection done, it turned out to have numerous inspection problems. It was horse property and liked the really "small town" it was in. From the first look, my wife fell in love with it, but. The day after the inspection, and after we told the Realtor "no", a snow blizzard hit and completely shut down Interstate 70 by the house.

Finally, we found a 2-story house on a 1/4 acre lot that had a pretty big backyard (for at least one dog). It was in an HOA Development.
    Now, here we go:
    A. Weeds galore in the backyard to get rid of.
    B. I came home from work in the late afternoon one day and noticed an extension cord going from our front porch outlet, across the lawn and into the house next door. That house had gone into foreclosure and the bank was having it renovated. But, apparently, the electricity hadn't been turned back on. I immediately unplugged the cord, walked next door and told the men "it's against the law to use someone else's electricity without their permission. So, if you don't want an Officer here, you'd better find electricity somewhere else."
    C. Then, a couple, with a baby, who moved in next door, had two dogs. The husband had told his wife to put the dogs into the garage before she went to bed. He worked a swing-shift as a high school security guard. She didn't do what he asked and the dogs barked most of the night. We both worked and I had to get up at 5:15 AM. The husband was quite surprised when we told him about the dogs.
    D. Then one day, while the their dogs were in the backyard, one of them dug under the gate, got out (other one followed), dug a hole under our fence and were in our backyard, Before I got home, both dogs had left our backyard and went back into their yard. A neighbor behind us told us "do you know your dogs got out this afternoon?" We both went "hugh??? We don't even have dogs!" The neighbor that owned the dogs, repaired the damage to our fence.
    E. Since we lived by a woods, two, rather large woods owls, would perch themselves, one on each end of the top of the roof of the house behind us. At 2AM, the "hooting" started! Two large woods owls "hooting".........yep, loud! Our upstairs bedroom window faced their house. I was able to get rid of both owls with a large boat light, aimed into the sky and then brought down to face one of them. Both flew off.

So, from the above things, sometimes living in a house isn't what it's cracked up to be either! We had to replace our microwave oven above the stove and to replace the central air motor.
    Any repairs we need done in an apartment, the complex takes care of. So, there is the "Good, Bad and the Ugly" for either house or apartment.

10. Trevalius Guyus

Registered

I like fixing things around my house that I've lived in for the last thirty-one years. Before that, I liked working on my house that I lived in for eight years. Before that,......

Ultimately, it's different strokes for different folks, and so on, and so on, and..............

Last edited: Nov 1, 2020
    Yvonne Smith likes this.
  11. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

Well, the Lender Inspection didn't go over to well. The manager here got phone calls and e-mails stating "due to sickness, please don't enter our apartment.", of which could easily be more like "I don't like anyone entering my apartment, so stay out!".

Even though we stayed home all day this past Wednesday, we didn't get the Inspection. However, while taking out some trash, I did see the maintenance girl and two others, leaving an apartment on the other end of the complex.

The e-mail stated there would be a 14-day quarantine, before the Inspection would begin again. Will we be inspected then, don't know, but if so, that's fine with us. We have absolutely nothing to hide!

12. Peter Renfro

Peter Renfro Veteran Member
    Registered

The rental companys trying to enforce a quarantine? How does that work?

13. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

They can't, but then again, they can't force an inspection if certain residents say that someone in their residency is sick. But, note the word "say". I truly believe that there are certain residences that told an outright lie about someone being sick in their apartment. I don't know what will happen when the inspections resume on the 20th of this month.

14. Cody Fousnaugh

Registered

I talked to the maintenance girl here and she told me that there are now 16 apartment residents that are moving out within the next few months. There are 4 apartments listed as "Available" right now. When I asked her what is going on, she said "the Covid 19 is forcing folks to move. Loss of jobs and lack of money."

Then, around noon, took our trash out and there are at least 8 bags of trash laying on the cement in front of the trash bin. The trash bin is only 1/2 full. So, that means there are those here that don't give a crap about what our manager says about putting their trash in the bin, they intentional defy her and put the bags on the cement in front of it. I won't say here what we think of these folks and, without a doubt I know what the maintenance girl here thinks of them.

15. John Brunner

John Brunner Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I don't think it's lack of respect for the manager, I think it's lack of respect for themselves. What kind of adult even needs to be told to do such a basic thing in the first place?

This is why I kept the house when my wife and I split up, even though I was only making $5/hour.

ps: Sucks about the evictions. The reaction to this thing has been over the top.

Yvonne Smith likes this.