Remodeling The Garden

Discussion in 'Crops & Gardens' started by Corie Henson, Nov 24, 2015.

1. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

As you can see in the photo, our front yard is concrete. We still call it a garden and I don't know why. We have plans to remove the concrete and make it a lawn so the heat of the midday sun will somehow be absorbed and not bounce to the house. But how can it be done in the easiest and cheapest way?

My brother-in-law suggested to just put soil on the concrete and make a lawn out of it. Never mind if there is concrete since the grass will grow anyway. But we don't think it is a good idea. If the concrete is removed, it will take a bigger expense. And we don't know what to expect, what is under the concrete. But maybe we will be removing the concrete, that's the most logical thing to do. IMG_6750.JPG

Holly Saunders and Diane Lane like this.
  2. Diane Lane

Diane Lane Veteran Member
    Registered

I don't know what would be best. I'd probably want to have at least a portion of the concrete broken up and removed. Maybe you can somehow recycle some of it? I don't plant much in the ground here, I lean toward container gardens, since I don't own this place, and now that I know that it hasn't been maintained over the years and most likely has major issues, I probably won't buy it if I'm ever able to, so I'll be moving my plants with me. I've cut way back on the number of plants over the years, but still like to have some flowering ones. Are y'all going to have a flower garden, veggie garden, or both? I've even grown tomatoes and lettuce on the balcony in containers, so I know it can be done. Some people these days put down fake grass in order to minimize the lawn care, and honestly, I wouldn't mind doing that, or even having a meadow, because I'm not a huge fan of large expanses of lawns, since they seem a waste to me.

By the way, I like your yard. I'd probably add a water feature, a koi pond or small fountain, since I love the look and sound of those.

3. Ken Anderson

Ken Anderson Senior Staff
    Staff Member Senior Staff Greeter Task Force Registered

I would probably just add raised gardens.

4. Holly Saunders

Holly Saunders Supreme Member
    Registered

I kinda agree I'd plant raised gardens and pots... but I don't know enough to tell you whether it would be worth taking the concrete up....however, I love the style of your garden..and I'd just add a lot of pots and colour to it.. but that doesn't address your problem with the absorption of the heat of the sun to your house..