Remember

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Ike Willis, May 12, 2016.

1. K E Gordon

K E Gordon Veteran Member
    Registered

Yeah, but it doesn't brown. My microwave isn't big enough for a turkey, but it could accommodate a whole chicken. That could be possble.. I have cooked chicken parts in the microwave, however, I think I prefer the good ol oven though. Thanks for the suggestion though, you never know. Microwave's are handy that is for sure. I do like to cook certain things in there.

Frank Sanoica likes this.
  2. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

Thank you for your response! Regarding browning of stuff in microwaves, it actually does brown. Eventually. Sometimes after proper cooking is overdone. Heat causes browning, microwaves produce heat, but in a different way than applying it from without.

I suppose it ain't for everyone. My wife cooks perhaps 75% of our meals in the danged thing.

3. A lot of t.v. dinners at your house, huh? :p

Ike Willis likes this.
  4. Babs Hunt

Babs Hunt Supreme Member
    Registered

Early on in the beginning of my microwaving days...it was recommended to use Kitchen Bouquet to brown any meat put in the microwave. You brushed it one the meats and it did "brown" them...I don't even know if they make this product anymore.

5. Frank Sanoica

Frank Sanoica Supreme Member
    Registered

When microwaving a big turkey, the drumsticks are usually the widest part of the bird as it sits in there, and they are likely to become SO brown before the inside of the breast reaches high enough temperature, one can not eat them. As a result, they can be tied together, or as my wife usually does it, tied together and the large part of the drum covered with a bit of aluminum foil. You heard me right. METAL in a microwave, one of her advanced tricks applied to fully utilize the oven. A turkey represents a large load for the microwave system, and the small bit of foil will not produce an arc to the walls of the cavity: not enough energy left to do so. Generally speaking, any metal in a microwave is strictly a no-no. (The turntable in our big Sharp is made of porcelain-coated steel.) I wonder how they get away with that?

Frank

6. Corie Henson

Corie Henson Veteran Member
    Registered

I was in college when my father bought me a portable tape recorder cum radio. It was a treasure that I still remember until now. I had so much fun recording my own voice and you can imagine the riot when I brought it to school for my classmates to test - our high school was an all-girls' school. At night, would be listening to the radio until I fall asleep and when I wake up early, the radio is still on while I review my lessons in preparation for the day's classes. The portability of that radio was a big plus since I could bring it in picnics and anywhere I go with my friends.

The tape recorder can be likened to the cellphone's video function now. Whenever I would meet a new friend, I would let her talk on the tape recorder's built-in mic to record her voice for souvenir. Unfortunately, the cassette tape is not that durable. Time would ruin its integrity and that audio recording would lose its quality and later on would be erased by itself. But nevertheless, that tape recorder had given me lots of memories.

K E Gordon likes this.
  7. K E Gordon

Registered

I remember when I was a little kid we had one of those big reel to reel tape recorders. We thought it was fun listening to those recordings.. My sis and I were like 5 and 2. I still remember what we said on the tape recorder. Actually, I was singing a song that made no sense of course. We took it to our grandparents house and my uncle was reading comic strips on it. We thought it was quite the gadget at the time! Oh the good old days!

Janice Martin likes this.
  8. Mari North

Mari North Veteran Member
    Registered

Sure do... just one of the bajillion things I miss about "back then." I didn't stand out in the open like this, though... we had an extra long phone cord and it reached into the top of the basement steps. I sat in there for hours talking to my friends... and crushes... only problem came when one of my clumsy siblings tripped over that cord since it stretched across the hallway. :)

Ike Willis likes this.
  9. Re: the phones- yes, but didn't you ever have the experience of being out somewhere, needing a phone, and didn't have access to one?
    Or at least from old t.v. shows.

I was one of the 'late-comers' to cell phones- didn't get one til the end of 2009.

10. Texas Beth

Texas Beth Veteran Member
    Registered

I was a late bloomer where cell phones are concerned. I sure do like the safety I feel when I have my cell and I am in the car. I don't want to give that up. But I do want people to start turning off their phones in restraunts and at the home dinner table.

11. K E Gordon

Registered

I know some older people who don't even have cellphones. I think that is kind of silly, they are cheap enough for a basic phone, and can be a Godsend in an emergency. I however, have just started texting within the past few months. I was very late to the texting game. However, if you lose your password or something on various sites, they always want to send you a text..so even if you don't text people, it is very helpful to have a phone with texting capacity. Waiting for a flight etc. there are lots of ways having texting capacity is handy.