Remember Telegrams?

Discussion in 'Other Reminiscences' started by Arlene Richards, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Arlene Richards

Arlene Richards Veteran Member
    Registered

I was in the customer service line at the grocery store and the person ahead of me was sending/wiring money via Western Union (which is another story). It got me to wondering if people still send telegrams. So I googled and got this:

Yes, Virginia, you can still send a telegram, though not through Western Union. It sent its last telegraphic transmission on January 27, 2006. At the telegram's peak in 1929, more than 200 million were sent. By 2005, that number had dwindled to 21,000.Jul 4, 2010

I don't think I've ever sent a telegram, but I remember someone reading telegrams out loud at an aunt's funeral (in the mid 1960s). In movies it seems telegrams were usually bad news.

As far as "wiring" money I recall doing a favor for a friend who was ill about 10 yrs ago, and she needed to send money to her son who didn't have a bank account. I stood in long line, filled out a form, and there was (imo) a large fee. The clerk then sent the transaction and as I understood it the recipient was waiting at a Western Union counter (in another state) and could collect the money as soon as it came thru as long as he had photo ID and a transaction number.

Bobby Cole and Patsy Faye like this.
  2. Patsy Faye

Patsy Faye Supreme Member
    Registered

Because of the movies I never wanted to receive one
    No need for them now is there, everyone knows yer business ahead of you :p

Bobby Cole likes this.
  3. Doc James

Doc James Veteran Member
    Registered

I still remember the excitement one feels when a letter arrives in the mail.